Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
Signs in the area said that Ottawa will be closed at Mill for approximately 6 weeks, starting today.

570 News confirms the Ottawa closure is from Mill to Courtland. Yuck!

(10-05-2015, 07:08 AM)Canard Wrote: Signs in the area said that Ottawa will be closed at Mill for approximately 6 weeks, starting today.

570 News confirms the Ottawa closure is from Mill to Courtland. Yuck!

I imagine they will at least be able to keep the Mill slip road open, for traffic coming from the south.
Well well well, exactly as I expected: Stirling has curbs now! 80% of it at least — they're missing a corner at Charles. They're finishing the installation of the new curbs on Borden (to Nyberg) as well. Looked like they were maybe doing more work at the embedded track on Borden, but I'm not sure what.

it was funny, while I was taking this photo, 2 people on bikes drove through shouting "Holy shit! Finally!", and the Grandlinq worker just laughed.

[Image: tNqNmVwh.jpg]

Catpoles have also been installed between Benton and Eby. Eby has been completely dug up again (looked like hydro this time).

Edit: scratch that Eby being dug up news. By the time I had walked past it again 30 minutes later, it had completely been filled and and was being tampered down. They work fast!
Wow... no updates in 3 days? Nothing interesting to note? Undecided
(10-08-2015, 09:33 AM)insider Wrote: Nothing interesting to note? Undecided

Since you asked...

Region still negotiating LRT expropriation deals 
Quote:Coun. Tom Galloway, who chairs the committee overseeing the light rail project, said the negotiations are not holding up construction, which started this year. "There's a lot of expropriations that aren't settled but the expropriation has taken place and the project can move forward," he said.

Settlements have been offered to each of the property owners as part of the expropriation process but Debra Arnold, regional solicitor, did not answer how many are still being negotiated...

Former regional chair hopeful Jay Aissa is one such property owner who has not yet settled with the region.

The two sides continue to negotiate over a sliver of his commercial property on Northfield Drive. "We are in discussions with this property owner and its legal counsel in an effort to reach a mutually agreeable settlement on compensation for the partial expropriation at this subject property," Arnold said.

Aissa was issued an expropriation notice from the region mid-2013, Arnold said, for a partial taking of land in front of his Jay Fencing business...
Work on the Northfield Dr. bridge has moved from the outer edges to the center of the span now that the parapet walls and sidewalks are done. 18 Months seems like an awfully long time to have the ramps closed, any idea what could take so long?
According to the latest update, work has started around in the Waterloo Town Square parking lot in preparation for the new tracks, which look to be scheduled for next year.  Not clear if they'll be doing a temporary layer of asphalt at Erb/Caroline for the winter.

Various other updates as well, including closures of rail crossings around the University over the next few weeks and that Borden should be completely reconstructed by the end of October.

Some pictures from the E5 bridge yesterday (iPhone quality):

North towards the UW stop

[Image: jL3Td3O.jpg]

South towards University:

[Image: 7izwhBF.jpg]

Didn't realize a more full set of updates came in the form of a mailing list. Thanks timio!

From that update: Charles in front of the terminal is getting curbs / paved starting today! Picked a friend up from the terminal at 7 this morning. Was wondering why the street had been completely shut down.

Also apparently: more curbs and some asphalt work being done at Stirling and ending today. Will have to check that out. Curbs supposedly being placed around the Cedar station too?

Side note: I asked earlier, but no response: does anyone know what's happening with the Madison Ave — Charles ramp? Will that still be providing access to Charles, or will it be converted into a pedestrian walkway of some sort? Would be nice to see that retaining wall rebuilt too, but I don't think it'll happen.
(10-08-2015, 03:37 PM)GtwoK Wrote: Side note: I asked earlier, but no response: does anyone know what's happening with the Madison Ave — Charles ramp? Will that still be providing access to Charles, or will it be converted into a pedestrian walkway of some sort? Would be nice to see that retaining wall rebuilt too, but I don't think it'll happen.

To my knowledge nothing much will change, the only difference would be that cars coming down it would not be able to turn left due to the LRT median.
(10-08-2015, 03:48 PM)KevinL Wrote:
(10-08-2015, 03:37 PM)GtwoK Wrote: Side note: I asked earlier, but no response: does anyone know what's happening with the Madison Ave — Charles ramp? Will that still be providing access to Charles, or will it be converted into a pedestrian walkway of some sort? Would be nice to see that retaining wall rebuilt too, but I don't think it'll happen.

To my knowledge nothing much will change, the only difference would be that cars coming down it would not be able to turn left due to the LRT median.

I see. The only reason I ask is because of this plan:

[Image: bfQzUgv.png]

which appears to put a curb in front of the road. Unless they are just trying to denote a depressed sidewalk across it. But it doesn't seem to show reworked curbs like the other intersections do.
There's asphalt on Stirling where it crosses Charles and it's open to traffic... I just rode through there this afternoon... smooth as can be.
A few more segments of concrete embedded track have been poured on Borden between Courtland and the CN tracks.
(10-08-2015, 03:53 PM)GtwoK Wrote:  Unless they are just trying to denote a depressed sidewalk across it. But it doesn't seem to show reworked curbs like the other intersections do.

That's my guess; perhaps just an oversight? Remember that these are guideline documents, GrandLinq will be working from far more detailed specifications.

https://twitter.com/MichaelLipka/status/...0567037952
(10-08-2015, 06:35 PM)Canard Wrote: https://twitter.com/MichaelLipka/status/...0567037952

Oh wow! This is great to see. Didn't think they'd be doing the tracks during this closure, seeing as other closures seem to pave the streets to later be torn up again for track laying. But great that it's getting done now!

I don't understand the comment in that tweet though; from what I've seen of the embedded tracks at Borden, there's virtually no bump in the road, and certainly not enough of one to disrupt a cyclist.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »