Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
You're right, and each segment had a unique part number on it! This kind of detailed work is really exciting and interesting to me.

(09-23-2015, 03:30 AM)GtwoK Wrote: I question the Victoria closure though — why to Duke? There's no track being run along there, is there? My understanding was the track would run from Duke — Francis — King, then up to the King/Victoria station. Is the track now going to run the length of Duke, then over onto Victoria to the station?

An excellent question. To my knowledge nothing has changed about the alignment (and if it had, I'm sure we would have heard). Perhaps there is some related utility work that needs to be done?
(09-23-2015, 09:51 AM)KevinL Wrote:
(09-23-2015, 03:30 AM)GtwoK Wrote: I question the Victoria closure though — why to Duke? There's no track being run along there, is there? My understanding was the track would run from Duke — Francis — King, then up to the King/Victoria station. Is the track now going to run the length of Duke, then over onto Victoria to the station?

An excellent question. To my knowledge nothing has changed about the alignment (and if it had, I'm sure we would have heard). Perhaps there is some related utility work that needs to be done?
I suspect that they need to close the intersection of King/Victoria, and the closure is starting at Duke so that traffic is diverted before being trapped in a dead end.
(09-23-2015, 10:35 AM)Markster Wrote:
(09-23-2015, 09:51 AM)KevinL Wrote: An excellent question. To my knowledge nothing has changed about the alignment (and if it had, I'm sure we would have heard). Perhaps there is some related utility work that needs to be done?
I suspect that they need to close the intersection of King/Victoria, and the closure is starting at Duke so that traffic is diverted before being trapped in a dead end.

Victoria from King to Duke can serve as a staging area, and the utility relocation required at King and Victoria likely requires work that extends farther east than just the intersection.
Work is progressing at King and Allen.

They poured the foundations for OCS either today or yesterday. You can see one on the north side by Allen Square and another in the middle of the street on the south side.

Prep work is ongoing between Allen and William, but they haven't closed that stretch yet. Bunch of water filtering equipment and generator sitting on the side of the road. Not sure what it is for.
There is a notice on  a few trees on the east side of King and William that they are to be cut down on Oct. 6. Not quite sure why, they don't seem in the way. There are a bunch of stakes marked "hydro box" around them.

A lot of electrical work recently on Allen, installing some new duct banks. They just poured a new one today on kKng north of George. It doesn't seem to connect to anything right now, but the end of a preexisting shallower running under George was exposed in the same pit.
(09-22-2015, 07:43 PM)GtwoK Wrote: Drove / walked around some of the route today. Caroline's looking real good, not as cramped as I thought it would. They were also installing cat poles as I walked by! Will be great once the sidewalks are in.

Borden is lined with welded rails along the finished portion to the CN tracks.

Stirling / Charles is being torn up again today for some reason, but portions of Charles between Stirling / Borden have catpoles, so we could be looking at curbs around here soon!

When you mention catpoles, do you mean the actual poles themselves? I’ve seen some of the prep work including the foundations and I’ve been wondering what the actual poles will look like but I haven’t yet seen actual poles.
Just the foundations - no poles yet. Those won't come for a long while yet; not until all of the groundwork (including track installation) is complete. It's one of the last steps.

Where are these updates about closures coming from? I read in the Record that Queen @ Charles will be closed at the same time as Benton @ Charles and now someone on this thread is saying Victoria between King and Duke is closing too, but I didn't see anything in the RideIon emails or on the website? If all that is true, that is going to be chaos getting across downtown - but all worth it in the end.
Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.
Why would Queen at Charles close?

Queen and Ottawa right now are basically the only two ways to get from one side of Charles to the other.
(09-23-2015, 09:43 PM)Pheidippides Wrote: Where are these updates about closures coming from? I read in the Record that Queen @ Charles will be closed at the same time as Benton @ Charles and now someone on this thread is saying Victoria between King and Duke is closing too, but I didn't see anything in the RideIon emails or on the website? If all that is true, that is going to be chaos getting across downtown - but all worth it in the end.

I've been paying attention to this list of road closures in the region (usually updated twice a day), and the rideion tumblr

(09-23-2015, 09:50 PM)Canard Wrote: Why would Queen at Charles close?

Queen and Ottawa right now are basically the only two ways to get from one side of Charles to the other.

I expect them to wait until possibly Water, Cedar, or Stirling reopen before closing Queen. But construction has been working it's way up from Ontario to Queen, so who knows, could be any day now.

At any rate, we're due for curbs within the next 2 weeks now, isn't it? Won't be long now before Charles is crossable again.
I really would think/hope they would wait until Benton reopens before they close Queen.
Are these white-plastic-covered things the catenary pole foundations?  (This is from Charles/Ontario ...)

[Image: YZQXHB5.jpg]
That's them, yes! Some of them you'll see are no longer covered with tarping, and have 3 poles sticking out the top in a tripod-like way.

It's not announced, but Stirling and Eby are both passable if you need to cross Charles.
(09-23-2015, 11:24 PM)belmont Wrote:

It's not announced, but Stirling and Eby are both passable if you need to cross Charles.

As are Ontario and Gaukel, though they may not be as useful.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »