Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 4.75 Average
Grand River Transit
Rough estimate
6 - 2011 Hybrids
4 - 2021 Hybrids
29 - 2022 Hybrids
=
There's a total of 259 conventional buses.

Sounds like more hybrids would be good too then!
(01-23-2024, 12:19 PM)tomh009 Wrote:
(01-23-2024, 11:20 AM)bravado Wrote: What’s the average lifespan and/or mileage of a city bus? I’m curious how long they’re expected to last for… I don’t want to be an early adopter with public funds but also maybe it’s the right time - no idea!

Expected to cover more than 1M km ...

BTW, you can get an idea of this by looking at https://cptdb.ca/wiki/index.php/Grand_Ri..._bus_fleet

There are people nerdy enough out there to get pictures, licence plates, VINs, and track when they go in and out of service. :-)

The oldest will be from the 80xx series. https://cptdb.ca/wiki/index.php/Grand_Ri..._8007-8021
Unveiling has been completed. https://www.instagram.com/p/C2kuWx4AnYB/?img_index=2
(01-26-2024, 03:53 PM)KevinL Wrote: Unveiling has been completed. https://www.instagram.com/p/C2kuWx4AnYB/?img_index=2

Looks great. Unfortunately the region will wrap it in ugly advertisements to make 100k.
The misinformation in the Facebook comments was ridiculous, even for Facebook.
(01-28-2024, 01:49 PM)Bytor Wrote: The misinformation in the Facebook comments was ridiculous, even for Facebook.

Lol...I haven't bothered visit Facebook in years. Although I will say I left it for Twitter, but now I look the fool after Twitter was bought by a Nazi...or at least a man with such a fragile ego, that he's desperate to be friends with Nazis.

Twitter is still good as long as you don't purposely go down right wing rabbit holes. I know it's full of trash but I never see it since I only follow friends.

Social media is fine if you curate your feeds correctly.
Does anyone know why GRT isn't current using the short buses they use on routes like 27 and I think 28? I've noticed they're running the big buses on this route and have closed off at least 1 or 2 stops.
(03-23-2024, 07:01 AM)ac3r Wrote: Does anyone know why GRT isn't current using the short buses they use on routes like 27 and I think 28? I've noticed they're running the big buses on this route and have closed off at least 1 or 2 stops.

I would assume the smaller buses are being used on other routes already. Economically it makes sense to run the smallest bus (that can carry the expected passengers) that is available.
I know, but I'm saying they seem to have pulled them from the fleet on the routes they were on. I wonder if they had a problem with them or if they're undergoing maintenance. I haven't seen any in probably over a week.
I've heard from some folks familiar with bus operations, that the smaller model used by GRT has reliability issues. Not sure if that is the actual factor here.
Interesting, that was my first guess too. When they first started using them, I always overheard the drivers saying how bad they are. I've never really heard of VMC/Vicinity Motor Corp until we bought a few but they don't seem to be a popular bus manufacturer. Seems like they only make 3 things: a general truck, the VMC bus we have and then an electric version of the same.

Vicinity is new, created specifically to address the mid-size bus niche, which was not being addressed by the larger manufacturers. $12M in revenues last year, so not big yet, but that in itself doesn't really say anything about the quality of their products.
Going in the opposite direction, when will the articulated buses be in service?
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »