Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Cycling in Waterloo Region
(12-17-2023, 08:24 AM)danbrotherston Wrote:
(12-16-2023, 10:03 PM)Bob_McBob Wrote: No, I don't think they literally want to kill cyclists, but I'm sure it's clear even to you that the spikes they installed are dangerous. If it were a landscaping feature or even a literal fence it wouldn't be a problem. The intent is obvious when you drive spikes into the ground along a cycling desire path, as is the result if someone falls on them.

Ac3r is not the first to assume we make such accusations lightly. They are wrong as the earlier person was wrong.

The intent becomes even clearer when you look at the history. They were placed initially when the property owner placed a curb along the parking lot (which is clear in intent to prevent people from going from the sidewalk into the parking lot or vice versa. But then after some reconstruction was done and the grass narrowed slightly, the spikes were replaced afterwards in slightly different positions. There is only one purpose.

Again, I wouldn't make this accusation lightly. I KNOW that area, I used that path for years and I've seen the evolution. But I am not surprised to see ac3r assume I am simply a caricature of an angry cyclist assuming the world hates me (for the record, this person barely exists...I'm sure there are a few, but in most cases, cyclists are calm, rational, and know that many drivers DO hate them, based on their experience). It isn't the reason I have blocked him, but it does fit with what I know of him.

Blocked or not I gotta say, this is paranoia. To think people are putting steel rods in the ground to haem cyclists is nonsense and baseless. I'd like to see.proof of this claim, but I know there is none. Making absurd claims like this isn't useful.

(12-17-2023, 05:27 PM)ac3r Wrote: Blocked or not I gotta say, this is paranoia. To think people are putting steel rods in the ground to haem cyclists is nonsense and baselet. I'd like to see.proof of this claim, but I know there is none. Making absurd claims like this isn't useful.

Again, the intent is clearly to deter cyclists, but the potential for harm should be obvious to anyone. These spikes were installed with chicken wire fencing at the same time the owner put in the concrete curbs to prevent access a few years ago. Since then, they've been driven into the ground more and moved multiple times. You know this was done to prevent cyclists from cutting through, and you know what would happen if a cyclist fell on them, so why is the connection so difficult? It doesn't have to be intentionally harmful to be shitty and dangerous.
(12-17-2023, 05:15 PM)ac3r Wrote: Someone must have drove down the bike lane on Water Street because there's a sign that's snapped in half near the Charles Street intersection.

Sometimes I think more signs get hit than not. The sign on the little island at Joseph and Water has been hit countless times, and completely snapped off at least once IIRC. I'm pretty sure 100% of the King St signs and bollards have been hit by parallel parkers and delivery drivers as well (which I differentiate, because a lot of delivery drivers seem to forego the parallel parking thing). I personally see a couple signs or cars get hit on King St each year while just walking by, and some of the maneuvers causing it are just stupid.

Cars are definitely still driving in the bike lanes though, especially during snowfall. I see it pretty frequently on Ontario St between King and Charles regardless of weather.
(12-17-2023, 01:21 AM)ac3r Wrote: And besides, they're clearly not dangerous because no cyclist has actually fallen on these and hurt themselves.

That is obviously wrong as a matter of pure logic.
(12-17-2023, 09:36 PM)ijmorlan Wrote:
(12-17-2023, 01:21 AM)ac3r Wrote: And besides, they're clearly not dangerous because no cyclist has actually fallen on these and hurt themselves.

That is obviously wrong as a matter of pure logic.

It’s also not something that ac3r knows. They haven’t been watching 24/7 for the years those have been there so they would easily have missed someone falling and getting hurt. But it is revealing framing how someone falling and getting hurt on those spikes would be “hurting themselves”.
Maybe go pull the spikes out of the ground and then contact WRPS? Let them know about that the owner of this denture clinic is vengeful, anti-cyclist who has installed a "spike trap" to harm everyone on 2 wheels. Could reach out to CBC or The Record as well. Some investigative journalism might bring up the names of all those people who have been falling and getting hurt on this dangerous trap over the years it has apparently been installed there.

Yes the sarcasm is on purpose since it's really silly. You can get turned into a red paste smeared across the pavement any day you're out there riding. You're responsible for your own safety. If you see a danger, avoid it and ideally try to rectify said danger...though it takes more than posting on an obscure urbanist forum.
The spikes were removed a couple of months ago.

That's a relief. I was beginning to think Vlad the Impaler was still alive.
The Stewart Street MUT has been paved. I didn't get the chance to see if the connection at the end is fully open, however.

[Image: AjdGEru.jpg]

[Image: VGuAfoW.jpg]
(12-30-2023, 07:44 PM)KevinL Wrote: The Stewart Street MUT has been paved. I didn't get the chance to see if the connection at the end is fully open, however.

[Image: AjdGEru.jpg]

[Image: VGuAfoW.jpg]

The Joseph to Victoria end is still not paved and being used for equipment for the new UW health building renovations.

[b]W Innovation Arena  InnUW Innovation Arenaovation Arena[/b]
Is that the one that comes out behind Central Station? I have yet to see a single soul ever use that yet. I'm hoping that as more development goes up along Victoria it would see some use.
The trail is passable through the Google parking garage portion. Fences are down, but it's technically not "open" and a few parts aren't paved.

As Square said, no progress on Joseph St since UW is holding it up... Only going to be 2 years behind schedule at this point. That section of Joseph is almost free of traffic so it's ok, but the intersection crossing Victoria is nonsense without this trail.

(12-31-2023, 08:09 AM)ac3r Wrote: Is that the one that comes out behind Central Station? I have yet to see a single soul ever use that yet. I'm hoping that as more development goes up along Victoria it would see some use.

I dont think this is technically the same project, but yes they will connect. As above, it's passable but it's not really done. I have seen a few people on it, but I think it will see more use once the Joseph St portion is done.
Also, is it just me or does the Joseph to Victoria part close to the building look not wide enough. Here is a old streetview, has not changed much since the reconstruction of Joseph to Victoria.

https://www.google.ca/maps/@43.4515276,-...?entry=ttu

(12-31-2023, 08:09 AM)ac3r Wrote: Is that the one that comes out behind Central Station? I have yet to see a single soul ever use that yet. I'm hoping that as more development goes up along Victoria it would see some use.

I've used it a few times. I haven't see anyone else there the times I was on it.

I mean it's been not behind a construction fence for about 3 months and the Joseph section is still not complete (and the Velocity building still very much behind schedule construction mayhem).
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »