Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 8 Vote(s) - 3.38 Average
Trails
Just because you build a trail doesn't mean that Mother Nature will let you keep it there.

(10-16-2023, 02:50 PM)bravado Wrote:
(10-16-2023, 01:08 PM)Acitta Wrote: Engage Kitchener: Walter Bean Trail Improvement

The Walter Bean Trail connects Doon Valley Golf Course in the south of the City to Kiwanis Park in the north. The trail consists of large stones with granular infill. This provides a walkable and rideable (bikes, strollers) surface.

This project includes just over 3 km of the trail, from the Hidden Valley low-lift station and weir to the pump station off Pioneer Tower Road. This section is located around the periphery of the Deer Ridge Golf Course and within the overbanks of the Grand River.

Over time, this section of the trail has become damaged through riverine erosion action and ice floes. We have identified the need to develop a long-term and sustainable solution to maintaining the trail for all users, instead of significant annual repairs and associated costs that the City has been incurring.

The City understands that the local community uses the trail frequently and have been asking for the trail to be repaired and in a good condition.

The City will be evaluating options for improving the trail, with the objective of preventing trail damage from erosion and ice floes. Once an option has been selected, the City will initiate the design of the trail and provide an opportunity for the public to provide input into the design prior to design completion.

I definitely thought this trail was beautiful the whole way starting from Galt. Had a pretty rude awakening once I got to this area… yikes it was in bad shape.

Same. I managed to get through there in a cargo bike, saved only by it having full suspension and sacrificing my shins to a few hike-a-bike sections.
I notice that they are doing some work at the trailhead of the W.R. Good Family Trailway on Otterbein rd. They have put in a couple of concrete platforms and seem to be improving the kayak launch. The trail is closed temporarily.            
This is good news: 

New pedestrian crossover complete at Mill Run Trail and Speedsville Road
A new pedestrian crossover is now complete on Speedsville Road at the Mill Run Trail.

The pedestrian crossover improves the trail experience by providing a controlled crossing. Pedestrians have the right-of-way and drivers and cyclists must stop and remain stopped until the crossing is clear.

This Speedville Road pedestrian crossover is also equipped with rapid flashing beacons activated by push buttons for enhanced visibility. Cyclists using the pedestrian crossover are required to dismount and walk their bike through the entire crossing.
(11-06-2023, 05:29 PM)Acitta Wrote: \Cyclists using the pedestrian crossover are required to dismount and walk their bike through the entire crossing.

Ah nothing makes you feel more valued and totally not a 2nd class citizen than arbitrary nonsense  Heart
local cambridge weirdo
(11-06-2023, 05:53 PM)bravado Wrote:
(11-06-2023, 05:29 PM)Acitta Wrote: \Cyclists using the pedestrian crossover are required to dismount and walk their bike through the entire crossing.

Ah nothing makes you feel more valued and totally not a 2nd class citizen than arbitrary nonsense  Heart

Fat chance of me ever doing that!
Just...uh...don't dismount? Some rules aren't meant to be followed lol.

(11-07-2023, 07:16 PM)ac3r Wrote: Just...uh...don't dismount? Some rules aren't meant to be followed lol.

Yes, but those rules are also used to justify infrastructure decisions and determine fault.
(11-07-2023, 07:16 PM)ac3r Wrote: Just...uh...don't dismount? Some rules aren't meant to be followed lol.

Except for the driver's ability to hide behind that pointless stipulation in a lawsuit when they hit you. Rolling at walking or jogging pace? Doesn't matter, not dismounted.
(11-06-2023, 05:53 PM)bravado Wrote:
(11-06-2023, 05:29 PM)Acitta Wrote: Cyclists using the pedestrian crossover are required to dismount and walk their bike through the entire crossing.

100% agreed. I'll slow (or stop as required by traffic) to push the button for the beacon, but won't be hopping off my bike to walk it.
Anyone with a status update on the Transit Hub/Cherry Park trail that runs along Stewart to Joseph? I know they started installation last year, but the actual link across the railway tracks has to be handled by CN.

Also, who else has noticed that the Google satellite view is 6+ years out of date? They're still installing the LRT line in the images. Google Canada is headquartered here, you'd think we could get a current overhead view of our city.
(03-19-2024, 04:00 PM)SF22 Wrote: Anyone with a status update on the Transit Hub/Cherry Park trail that runs along Stewart to Joseph? I know they started installation last year, but the actual link across the railway tracks has to be handled by CN.

Also, who else has noticed that the Google satellite view is 6+ years out of date? They're still installing the LRT line in the images. Google Canada is headquartered here, you'd think we could get a current overhead view of our city.

Google seems to prioritise the recentness of their streetview much more. In the 6 years since the sat view (it might actually be done by airplane given the resolution at a city level) was updated, the streetview has been updated several times.

FWIW...when I was at Google, we made a big deal of planning the streetview car coming around to update the footage around the headquarters (for a while we were all out front)...but nobody one it about the aerial view.
(03-19-2024, 04:00 PM)SF22 Wrote: Also, who else has noticed that the Google satellite view is 6+ years out of date? They're still installing the LRT line in the images. Google Canada is headquartered here, you'd think we could get a current overhead view of our city.

I guess that's true of the 'flat' satellite view, if your browser supports 3D mode it's much more up to date.

The satellite view over Kitchener recently reversed time recently... The last time I looked it was fall 2018, as denoted by a fresh stump from a dead ash tree I had taken down in the backyard, but now it's back to around the time they were burying the hydro lines along Fairway (and a very much alive ash tree in the backyard.)
Where does the satellite view data come from? I assumed that Google was drawing from other resources, private or governmental, that conducted regular aerial surveys in the course of their work. Aside from Google Streetview, I don't think that Google has their own satellites in the sky looking down. I know that Google has the practice of either licensing or buying up old datasets that are set for disposal.

I took a quick look at Google Earth and the Kitchener and Waterloo imagery is dated August 10, 2018 (8/10/2018...since everything is green, it's not likely October). St. Jacobs ranges from July 15, 2015 to August 18, 2022. These dates also apply to the western and eastern edges of Waterloo. Elmira gets October 5, 2022 to 'newer'. Cambridge is July 29, 2015 except for the intersection of the Can-Amera Parkway and Franklin Blvd which is May 10, 2023.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »