Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
GO Transit
(03-24-2023, 03:10 PM)KevinL Wrote:
(03-24-2023, 02:40 PM)danbrotherston Wrote:  I reserve the right to change my mind after seeing the schedule.

There is a schedule in the linked PDF, I've copied it over.

[Image: BIvOE7l.jpg]

Why Victoria & Frederick rather than the GO station or other location close to downtown?

(03-24-2023, 06:34 PM)Acitta Wrote:
(03-24-2023, 03:10 PM)KevinL Wrote: There is a schedule in the linked PDF, I've copied it over.

[Image: BIvOE7l.jpg]

Why Victoria & Frederick rather than the GO station or other location close to downtown?

So it doesn’t have to double back after coming off the highway…
(03-24-2023, 07:09 PM)neonjoe Wrote:
(03-24-2023, 06:34 PM)Acitta Wrote: Why Victoria & Frederick rather than the GO station or other location close to downtown?

So it doesn’t have to double back after coming off the highway…
It could go down Weber just like the 25, not sure why not.
Hourly service is pretty good, it's been hard to get to Guelph before. And the weekend service is good too. It does take a long time to get to Hamilton, but yes, it is an additional way to connect to VIA.
(03-24-2023, 07:23 PM)dunkalunk Wrote:
(03-24-2023, 07:09 PM)neonjoe Wrote: So it doesn’t have to double back after coming off the highway…
It could go down Weber just like the 25, not sure why not.

An overlooked part of this change is that the 25 will no longer take Weber. It will skip directly from Sportsworld to Laurier for all runs.

I think as central KW traffic has increased, GO is wanting to keep their busses on the expressway. Big service cut for DTK though.
(03-25-2023, 11:02 AM)taylortbb Wrote:
(03-24-2023, 07:23 PM)dunkalunk Wrote: It could go down Weber just like the 25, not sure why not.

An overlooked part of this change is that the 25 will no longer take Weber. It will skip directly from Sportsworld to Laurier for all runs.

I think as central KW traffic has increased, GO is wanting to keep their busses on the expressway. Big service cut for DTK though.

I would expect that this specific service layout will only be temporary until the new Central station bus loop is constructed. As I saw someone mention in the Urban Toronto thread, it would actually be faster for students to take the Ion downtown and be picked up by a bus at King/Victoria. I'm just happy that this long-overdue route is being serviced.
New transit route from Waterloo to Hamilton a good start, transit advocates say

A new transit route that will connect Waterloo and Hamilton starting on April 8 is a good step, but more direct routes with central stops should be on the radar for Metrolinx's future plans, transit advocates say.

in the mean time, All the stops along Weber street in Kitchener on the 25 route are being taken out of service on April 8. Its always one step forward and two steps back with GO. grrrrr.
(04-05-2023, 06:48 AM)Rainrider22 Wrote: in the mean time,  All the stops along Weber street in Kitchener on the 25 route are being taken out of service on April 8.  Its always one step forward and two steps back with GO.  grrrrr.

It's the tradeoff: do you want fast service or do you want service that is closer to people? There are too many stops on the non-C 25 route, though probably it's the highway stops that really add a bunch of time. I just look at the time difference and I'm like, sigh.
At least one stop in Kitchener would be nice. Now I have to get to Sportsworld to get on the GO bus. Ridiculous. There were a lot of people who utilized the Stops. They could have at least kept the one at Weber and Queen. I am writing to them , not that it will make any difference. To your point, they look better by decreasing the time to the University by 5 mins, while making it more difficult for Kitchener residents.
(04-05-2023, 11:57 AM)Rainrider22 Wrote: At least one stop in Kitchener would be nice.  Now I have to get to Sportsworld to get on the GO bus.  Ridiculous.  There were a lot of people who utilized the Stops.  They could have at least kept the one at Weber and Queen.  I am writing to them , not that it will make any difference.  To your point, they look better by decreasing the time to the University by 5 mins, while making it more difficult for Kitchener residents.

This is on point...

FWIW though...the DTK stops were much better used before the closure of the bus station. I think a lot of people didn't even know where to pickup the bus.

But it's just more policy failure from Metrolinx.
I understand wanting to use the freeway, but it seems to me that building up the new transit terminal location as the main station should start now, not wait for a hypothetical future when we’re able to afford a $100M bus shelter there for passengers to wait in.
(04-05-2023, 05:33 PM)ijmorlan Wrote: I understand wanting to use the freeway, but it seems to me that building up the new transit terminal location as the main station should start now, not wait for a hypothetical future when we’re able to afford a $100M bus shelter there for passengers to wait in.

I believe that's exactly what they're planning. Metrolinx & the Region will start work soon on the bus loop and train platforms, while "phase 2" to build the terminal building is permanently on the back-burner until funding is secured.

(04-05-2023, 06:15 PM)the_conestoga_guy Wrote:
(04-05-2023, 05:33 PM)ijmorlan Wrote: I understand wanting to use the freeway, but it seems to me that building up the new transit terminal location as the main station should start now, not wait for a hypothetical future when we’re able to afford a $100M bus shelter there for passengers to wait in.

I believe that's exactly what they're planning. Metrolinx & the Region will start work soon on the bus loop and train platforms, while "phase 2" to build the terminal building is permanently on the back-burner until funding is secured.

Shouldn’t the bus route which is now being removed from Weber St. stop at the new transit terminal location? I don’t know what the best route would be, and I don’t have a strong opinion about stopping multiple times on Weber St., but I do feel that not stopping anywhere in downtown is questionable.
They don't need to stop multiple times...but once would be nice.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »