Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
(03-01-2023, 04:07 PM)Bytor Wrote: It could be a procurement issue, also, if the Region simply didn't buy enough (or any) catenary scrapers to go along with the 14 trams.

Not region...the Grandlinq contractor...they were responsible for all this stuff.

This is why it's a P3 failure...

(03-01-2023, 04:32 PM)danbrotherston Wrote:
(03-01-2023, 04:07 PM)Bytor Wrote: It could be a procurement issue, also, if the Region simply didn't buy enough (or any) catenary scrapers to go along with the 14 trams.

Not region...the Grandlinq contractor...they were responsible for all this stuff.

This is why it's a P3 failure...

Were they though? Because the region purchased the trains separately. I doubt the agreement was that the region hands over trains and washes their hands of it, there was almost certainly specs about associated equipment. I can see ice scrapers falling through the cracks, with contract ambiguity about who's responsible.
(03-01-2023, 09:51 PM)taylortbb Wrote: Were they though? Because the region purchased the trains separately. I doubt the agreement was that the region hands over trains and washes their hands of it, there was almost certainly specs about associated equipment. I can see ice scrapers falling through the cracks, with contract ambiguity about who's responsible.

I believe we’ve discussed this. The contract provides that the system shall be capable of continuing to operate in conditions such as those we have. Therefore, as far as I’m concerned, they have to buy whatever equipment is required in order to meet the contract.

But who knows. I assume the PPP contract is cleverly written to avoid actually committing them to much of anything.
(03-02-2023, 01:39 AM)ijmorlan Wrote: The contract provides that the system shall be capable of continuing to operate in conditions such as those we have. Therefore, as far as I’m concerned, they have to buy whatever equipment is required in order to meet the contract.

Those specs in the contract might only apply to things that GrandLinq designed/built/supplied. For example, if the region supplied trains that were totally incapable of operating freezing rain, I can't imagine GrandLinq would then be on the hook for the system not working. I think that's reasonable, that GrandLinq doesn't owe penalties if something they didn't supply doesn't meet requirements.

There's definitely issues with P3s, but this might be the fault of the region/Metrolinx. There's a reason these contracts normally include vehicles.
(03-02-2023, 03:12 PM)taylortbb Wrote:
(03-02-2023, 01:39 AM)ijmorlan Wrote: The contract provides that the system shall be capable of continuing to operate in conditions such as those we have. Therefore, as far as I’m concerned, they have to buy whatever equipment is required in order to meet the contract.

Those specs in the contract might only apply to things that GrandLinq designed/built/supplied. For example, if the region supplied trains that were totally incapable of operating freezing rain, I can't imagine GrandLinq would then be on the hook for the system not working. I think that's reasonable, that GrandLinq doesn't owe penalties if something they didn't supply doesn't meet requirements.

There's definitely issues with P3s, but this might be the fault of the region/Metrolinx. There's a reason these contracts normally include vehicles.

Grandlinq took the contract...if they didn't feel the equipment was capable of satisfying the contract, they shouldn't have taken the contract, but they did, so now it's on them to fulfill it.

The only circumstance that they wouldn't be on the hook is if the region was in breach of contract, i.e., the region stated they would supply some equipment to manage the weather and the region failed to do so, but AFAIK that is not the case.
(03-02-2023, 04:57 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: Grandlinq took the contract...if they didn't feel the equipment was capable of satisfying the contract, they shouldn't have taken the contract, but they did, so now it's on them to fulfill it.

Grandlinq signed the contract years before the LRVs were delivered, before the LRVs were even finished being designed. Why on earth would they accept liability for a product they weren't supplying, and wasn't even finished being designed yet? If the Region asked for those terms no competent builder would have signed.

I'm certain the contract has exclusions related to the vehicles, it would be insane for Grandlinq to be responsible for them. Whether those exclusions are a factor in the freezing rain situation I don't know, all I'm saying is it's possible.

We'll know soon. The agenda is up for P&W committee next week, but it just says "7.3.3 Verbal Update: ION LRT Winter Operations" so we'll have to wait for the webcast.
(03-02-2023, 06:00 PM)taylortbb Wrote:
(03-02-2023, 04:57 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: Grandlinq took the contract...if they didn't feel the equipment was capable of satisfying the contract, they shouldn't have taken the contract, but they did, so now it's on them to fulfill it.

Grandlinq signed the contract years before the LRVs were delivered, before the LRVs were even finished being designed. Why on earth would they accept liability for a product they weren't supplying, and wasn't even finished being designed yet? If the Region asked for those terms no competent builder would have signed.

I'm certain the contract has exclusions related to the vehicles, it would be insane for Grandlinq to be responsible for them. Whether those exclusions are a factor in the freezing rain situation I don't know, all I'm saying is it's possible.

We'll know soon. The agenda is up for P&W committee next week, but it just says "7.3.3 Verbal Update: ION LRT Winter Operations" so we'll have to wait for the webcast.

The vehicles aren't the failing component though. Doors aren't freezing shut, motors aren't shutting down in the cold, this is an issue of operating an LRV in icy weather. No other vehicle would operate differently. They knew they were operating an LRV with an overhead power centenary system.

And others have read the Grandlinq contract, it sets explicit requirements for operations in acclimate weather, requirements that Grandlinq is not meeting.

I mean, for their update, I'm placing a sizeable bet on the "Our contractor failed us..." line coming out.

(03-02-2023, 06:21 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: The vehicles aren't the failing component though. Doors aren't freezing shut, motors aren't shutting down in the cold, this is an issue of operating an LRV in icy weather. No other vehicle would operate differently. They knew they were operating an LRV with an overhead power centenary system.

And others have read the Grandlinq contract, it sets explicit requirements for operations in acclimate weather, requirements that Grandlinq is not meeting.

Grandlinq could easily come back with "The OCS isn't failing under the weight of the ice, the substations are supplying power, we've met our requirements. The only reason this doesn't work is that the vehicles aren't suitable for freezing rain, as they lack a second pantograph. We can couple two vehicles and then things work, but you didn't supply us enough vehicles to operate the whole system under those conditions" . A second pantograph, sometimes without current pickup and just a scraper, is a common solution to freezing rain. Something our vehicles weren't designed with, and likely outside Grandlinq's scope of responsibility.

I definitely think it's possible for there to be a reasonable argument that this is a vehicle problem. The problem is occurring at the interface between the region-supplied vehicle, and the Grandlinq-supplied OCS. That leaves room for disputes.

It's quite possible that both second pantographs and advance application of de-icing gel to the OCS are viable solutions. With both the region and Grandlinq preferring the solution that the other would have to pay for.

(03-02-2023, 06:21 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: I mean, for their update, I'm placing a sizeable bet on the "Our contractor failed us..." line coming out.

That I agree with.
It’s hurting the Region’s credibility that they’re basically not saying anything about the ION + ice situation to the public. Some of that is certainly because the responsibilities are unclear — which is not a point in favour of the P3 arrangement. But some is also that the Region of Waterloo just doesn’t seem interested in talking to the public.
(03-02-2023, 09:02 PM)taylortbb Wrote:
(03-02-2023, 06:21 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: The vehicles aren't the failing component though. Doors aren't freezing shut, motors aren't shutting down in the cold, this is an issue of operating an LRV in icy weather. No other vehicle would operate differently. They knew they were operating an LRV with an overhead power centenary system.

Grandlinq could easily come back with "The OCS isn't failing under the weight of the ice, the substations are supplying power, we've met our requirements. The only reason this doesn't work is that the vehicles aren't suitable for freezing rain, as they lack a second pantograph. We can couple two vehicles and then things work, but you didn't supply us enough vehicles to operate the whole system under those conditions" . A second pantograph, sometimes without current pickup and just a scraper, is a common solution to freezing rain. Something our vehicles weren't designed with, and likely outside Grandlinq's scope of responsibility.

I definitely think it's possible for there to be a reasonable argument that this is a vehicle problem. The problem is occurring at the interface between the region-supplied vehicle, and the Grandlinq-supplied OCS. That leaves room for disputes.

It's quite possible that both second pantographs and advance  application of de-icing gel to the OCS are viable solutions. With both the region and Grandlinq preferring the solution that the other would have to pay for.

(03-02-2023, 06:21 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: I mean, for their update, I'm placing a sizeable bet on the "Our contractor failed us..." line coming out.

That I agree with.

Grandlinqs requirements include operating the trains, not just the catenary power system. They are the operator of the whole system. They are very clearly failing at those requirements. Even if they felt that they could not operate the service in winter, they should have raised that issue. Simply silently failing to meet your contract isn't something that can be excused by "wrong equipment" They are required to KNOW what equipment they need. More, there are systems all over operating trams similar to ours (in some cases almost extremely similar as bombardier based these LRVs on ones sold in Europe) in similar weather conditions and without this problem.

The problem is not our weather conditions or trains, but the terms of the P3 being inadequate or our region being unable or unwilling to enforce those terms. If Grandlinq wants to make weak arguments in their defense of their refusal to meet their contractual obligations, they can make them in court, where they'll lose. But the region does not seem willing to force the issue.
Also, I think you folks are wrong about the timeline:

This [1] article from railjournal and this [2] one from the globe, both peg the purchase of LRVs being approved in July 2013:

[1] https://www.railjournal.com/passenger/li...dier-lrvs/
[2] https://www.theglobeandmail.com/report-o...e13124993/

But the wikipedia page [3] from Grandlink says that the RFP was issued in June with it being due by December 2013, and final contract close the next year. Grandlinq cannot claim not to have known what equipment they would be operating when they prepared their bid.

[3] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GrandLinq
I've posted about several mentions of "scrapers" on the scanner during recent winter storms. I gather it's a bit of a balancing act exactly how they're deployed because the carbon strips cause more wear to the OCS, especially in dry conditions. The first night of the big 48 hour outage, it didn't sound like they sent out scrapers until after trains lost power, and the ones they sent out were on hi-rails or shunters and had to laboriously move around the system working around broken down trains.

During the last storm, they specifically deployed a train equipped with a scraper around 10:45pm, 1 1/2 hours after operators started reporting power loss. They also ran coupled "ice trains" all night. It really feels like they aren't proactively addressing the issue enough, and the whole procedure of deploying scrapers and coupling trains is so long winded the system can barely function once it starts, even if they can maintain power.

https://www.schunk-group.com/transit-sys...trip~p6375

https://www.schunk-carbontechnology.com/...protection
Lol, on the scanner just now:

"We should start a pool to see how long the ION lasts tonight."

(03-03-2023, 07:34 PM)Bob_McBob Wrote: Lol, on the scanner just now:

"We should start a pool to see how long the ION lasts tonight."

Looks like the first cancellation was at 18:00 between Conestoga and R&T: https://twitter.com/AlertsGRT/status/163...5418840065

At 18:25 the first Conestoga to Fairway train was cancelled: https://twitter.com/AlertsGRT/status/163...5988955141

19:15 sees the first Fairway to Conestoga cancelled: https://twitter.com/AlertsGRT/status/163...6920094721

There isn't even freezing rain...looking out my window there is maybe 3 centimeters of snow? What is the justification this time?

I hope this shit show of a PPP is held accountable if this is going to continue. 1 billion dollars (give or take) on a "rapid transit" system that falls apart in the slightest bit of winter precipitation, crawls along like a turtle for most of the route, has doors that seem to be breaking more frequently, constantly gets into accidents due to an absolute moronic track route and so on.

Grand River Transit, Keolis and GrandLinq suck. People hate our transit, rightfully so. This recent Reddit thread which questions "what would it take to get you to start using transit/biking" etc and most replies point to the obvious: the LRT is slow as shit - you can walk faster than it moves in many places - and busing anywhere takes way more time than it should. A 15 minute drive by car can be an hour long, multi-bus and/or LRT journey. They can't manage the bare minimum and make transit for a region with a population so large an embarrassing situation. And now it seems like when it comes to winter time, everything falls apart. And the price to use it just keeps going up and up and up.
Out of curiosity, how do Toronto's equivalent LRVs fare during this kind of weather? If their performance is better in the winter, what are they doing differently?
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »