Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
Based on the current forecast I'll put my bet on no disruption in today's operations but inoperable by morning after not keeping trains running enough overnight again.

It's going to be disrupted today at 5pm: https://twitter.com/AlertsGRT/status/162...7379997699
Oh, Jesus...

Well, I'll give them credit...GRT is doing a better job this time...even if admitting defeat.
I hope this doesn't become the new normal.
This is unacceptable. The contract says it should be able to run even with and hourly accretion of 12.7mm, but EnvCan is only calling for 10mm of accretion at most.
(02-22-2023, 04:07 PM)JoeKW Wrote: It's going to be disrupted today at 5pm: https://twitter.com/AlertsGRT/status/162...7379997699

Lmao. You get what you pay for, I guess.
If it's some disruption today for little to no disruption tomorrow, then fine.

If it's an early start to another long disruption, then no, that's not the way.

They're starting to run coupled trains in service tonight, but it's a very convoluted process actually getting them coupled while out on the line. They have a special rule where the operator of the rear train has to visually confirm nobody is in the coupling and announce it over the PA system before departing every station. The first pair they coupled has a broken PA system, so the two operators have to communicate over the radio.

I haven't heard anything about ice scrapers yet, but they have a system set up at Waterloo Town Square to spray de-icing solution on the pantograph of every train passing through.
(02-22-2023, 09:25 PM)Bob_McBob Wrote: They're starting to run coupled trains in service tonight, but it's a very convoluted process actually getting them coupled while out on the line. They have a special rule where the operator of the rear train has to visually confirm nobody is in the coupling and announce it over the PA system before departing every station. The first pair they coupled has a broken PA system, so the two operators have to communicate over the radio.

I don’t understand. The process of coupling is more involved than one might assume, or a coupled pair has to do extra work before starting every time? By “in the coupling”, do you mean standing on the track between the 2 coupled vehicles?

If the latter, that’s stupid. The system is eventually supposed to operate routinely with coupled pairs, and the main reason for doing so is to avoid paying more drivers when increasing capacity. Whatever they will do when it operates routinely they should be able to do now. Enough with the safety paranoia.
(02-22-2023, 07:05 PM)ac3r Wrote:
(02-22-2023, 04:07 PM)JoeKW Wrote: It's going to be disrupted today at 5pm: https://twitter.com/AlertsGRT/status/162...7379997699

Lmao. You get what you pay for, I guess.

We paid for a system that can run in our weather, per the project agreement. If it can’t, then we’ve been defrauded.
Yeah. Unfortunately we're seeing what our money got us. Not sure if it's a fault of the technology, the weather simply beating us (but then don't make concrete agreements that it isn't a problem) or Keolis just not knowing WTF they're doing in this sort of environment...which given their broad expertise in public transit should not really be an issue (or one would hope).

However despite the mess: a huge shout out to the men, women and others out there in this wet and cold weather - be it train operators, ground crew or just the GRT bus drivers who are likely putting up with irate commuters. They're no doubt really frustrated.

Somehow we need to figure out what is responsible for these system failures and remedy them. There are always unexpected situations but this is becoming a regular thing now...and with a warming climate, these mild and varied winter seasons might really put things to the test each winter season.

I wonder if this continues over and over if we'll need to launch a public inquiry similar to what Ottawa had to do in order to figure out what went wrong with their system (which was a lot). Our LRT works most of the time which is great yet these winter failures are a significant issue and we'll need answers + solutions.
(02-22-2023, 10:47 PM)ac3r Wrote: Yeah. Unfortunately we're seeing what our money got us. Not sure if it's a fault of the technology, the weather simply beating us (but then don't make concrete agreements that it isn't a problem) or Keolis just not knowing WTF they're doing in this sort of environment...which given their broad expertise in public transit should not really be an issue (or one would hope).

It is what our money got us, but why the confidence that spending more money would have solved our problems? Money can't find expertise and operational skills that don't exist in the area, nor penetrate obtuse organizations and leadership, or many other issues which may well be the problem.
(02-17-2023, 11:05 PM)nms Wrote: I don’t understand. The process of coupling is more involved than one might assume, or a coupled pair has to do extra work before starting every time? By “in the coupling”, do you mean standing on the track between the 2 coupled vehicles?

If the latter, that’s stupid. The system is eventually supposed to operate routinely with coupled pairs, and the main reason for doing so is to avoid paying more drivers when increasing capacity. Whatever they will do when it operates routinely they should be able to do now. Enough with the safety paranoia.

I mean the process of getting them coupled while in service is complicated. Every pair of trains has to be parked and individually visited by LRV Maintenance while other trains bypass them. Once they're coupled, Control gives the two operators specific instructions. The operator of the rear train sits in the front cab and monitors the coupling. Before every station departure, they have to visually confirm there isn't anybody in the coupling area and relay this to the operator of the front train, who then has to explicitly confirm they heard before proceeding.

I don't think there has been any actual freezing rain yet. Two LRVs are stuck in Kitchener due to switching issues. And CN is sending a freight train soon.

Spotted a double train

Interesting to hear that so far nothing is stuck directly due to weather (I think).

I was just shoveling random sidewalks, finishing an elderly lady's before I came in since she was out in this mess. It didn't really feel like ice or freezing rain. It was more tiny little balls of snowy ice...not wet enough to coat things (wires, trees). Easy to move and maybe due to that lack of icy build up, perhaps the trains will be more or less running.

Hope these workers are getting good compensation for being up all night in this and working round the clock.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »