Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Cycling in Waterloo Region
I also talked to the planner on this project, since I had some basic questions as a local homeowner. There were stories about how the bike lane stencils were "expensive" and that there were too many driveways and not enough space for separated lanes. The lanes also totally disappear into high speed traffic before the Main and Dundas intersection. I hope they will be re-integrated when that is turned into a roundabout next year.

There is 1 narrow point at the bridge over Soper Park that is probably hard to engineer around, but whatever that's not my problem.
local cambridge weirdo

Another tiktok video

https://www.tiktok.com/@bytor1970/video/..._webapp=v1

This time on the idea that bike lanes need to based on demand and the complaint "but there's no cyclists".
Be careful out there.
E-bike rider charged after Kitchener crash
But but but, I was told that cyclists were never charged?

Oh...I guess this will merely be used as proof that cyclists are scum and always trying to hurt poor innocent drivers.

</rant>
A cyclist was hit and rushed to the hospital on the disastrous Northfield bike lane in a hit and run incident on Saturday: https://kitchener.ctvnews.ca/cyclist-sen...-1.5999572

Honestly...something needs to be done about that. Everyone knows it's terrible. It has made Waterloo infamous within cyclist communities all over the internet because people can't believe how dangerous it is. Will the City of Waterloo (or is this a RoW lane? I'm not sure since I would never use this.) do anything to improve it? Unlikely, even though it's extremely dangerous and puts the lives of both cyclists and drivers at risk.

If you see a black BMW sedan missing a side mirror, contact the police.
It's still unusual to me that workplaces are required to investigate and rectify unsafe conditions after every worker injury.

Why isn't there a team in the city that rebuilds unsafe streetscapes after they occur? Why is there no liability for this?

I biked through that lane for the first time ever a few weeks ago... It was an experience that I will not share with my life insurance provider.
local cambridge weirdo
(07-24-2022, 11:45 AM)ac3r Wrote:  is this a RoW lane? 

It is most definitely a regional road.

The problem is that even with an unlimited budget and full control, regional engineers would build the same road today. They consider it correct, and they hide behind equally heinous standards.
Isn't Franklin a regional road too? On Franklin, the bike lane/path crosses the exit at 90 degrees. I don't see why they couldn't have done the same on Northfield.
(07-24-2022, 05:40 PM)jamincan Wrote: Isn't Franklin a regional road too? On Franklin, the bike lane/path crosses the exit at 90 degrees. I don't see why they couldn't have done the same on Northfield.

Franklin is a MUT in the boulevard. Different infra and different context from a painted bike lane. Should they have done a MUT. Sure that’s obvious to us but they were unwilling. Who knows why.
Is this Northfield location right at 85. Most bridges and intersections with ramps are under MTO jurisdiction, it probably added yet another layer of complexity to he design that the region needed approval for when building iON.
This is the same reason that the Trussler Ramps are so dangerous or that the Traffic Signals at Fisher Hallman and the highway are MTO style.
(07-25-2022, 07:23 AM)neonjoe Wrote: Is this Northfield location right at 85. Most bridges and intersections with ramps are under MTO jurisdiction, it probably added yet another layer of complexity to he design that the region needed approval for when building iON.
This is the same reason that the Trussler Ramps are so dangerous or that the Traffic Signals at Fisher Hallman and the highway are MTO style.

Yes, it was MTO jurisdiction, but region has stated officially and publicly that they see the bike lanes as designed as best practice and would not make any changes if reconstructing them.

I'm not saying MTO isn't a problem....but they aren't the problem here.
I've been looking at the satellite photos of Northfield over the Expressway, and I must admit that I just don't see away to do that bike lane any differently.

(07-25-2022, 12:15 PM)Bytor Wrote: I've been looking at the satellite photos of Northfield over the Expressway, and I must admit that I just don't see away to do that bike lane any differently.

The first time I rode that, it was a harrowing experience. However, I have noticed more recently that motorists seem to anticipate the turn and change to the proper lane sooner, rather than make a last second crossing of the bike lane. In fact, last year I went there with a sports camera on my bike and repeatedly rode that section trying to get a good video of a near-death experience and failed because the drivers were driving relatively safely. It is, however, the most cyclist unfriendly bike lane in the region. Although any road with highway on and off ramps is not very cyclist friendly. If you are going to ride there, be sure to have a good mirror on your bike or helmet, not to mention a willingness to risk certain death. Cycling King St. from the Sportsworld area towards the Freeport bridge can be harrowing since you have to ride on the line separating the lane going to the Hwy 8 on ramp and the lane going straight with speeding cars going by you on both lanes. There is not even the pretense of a bike lane there.
(07-25-2022, 12:15 PM)Bytor Wrote: I've been looking at the satellite photos of Northfield over the Expressway, and I must admit that I just don't see away to do that bike lane any differently.

Separate bridge would work. Exists in Montreal. The bridge that's just to the (Montreal south = east) of Hochelaga is a bicycle-only bridge (you're not even supposed to walk across it, although of course people do): https://www.google.com/maps/@45.5900897,...a=!3m1!1e3
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »