Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 13 Vote(s) - 3.85 Average
General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours
(07-08-2022, 03:04 PM)CP42 Wrote: Is there a plan for the site where the former District Nightclub is?

It has Melloul Blamey construction fencing around the site.

I believe it's owned by Hip Developments, but I haven't seen anything public about what's happening there.

Looks like 545-565 Belmont is getting a new coat of paint. Anyone know what the final colour is planned to be? (assuming this is primer).

I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess black/white/grey.
I'm going out on the other limb and guessing that this is the final colour. If they wanted another colour they would just tint the primer.
Eeesh, nothing like painting red brick greyish white. I think they might be putting lipstick on a Pig with this one. I wonder if this is a solution to extend the lifecycle of the brick?
(07-12-2022, 02:49 PM)westwardloo Wrote: Eeesh, nothing like painting red brick greyish white. I think they might be putting lipstick on a Pig with this one. I wonder if this is a solution to extend the lifecycle of the brick?

Painting brick doesn't extend its lifespan does it? Brick will last a century or more...I had a century home with original brick in perfectly good condition.

Paint on the other hand will need redoing every 5 years or so.

It's really for that reason that I hate painting of brick...although sometimes it does look good but again, only if maintenance is done regularly.
(07-12-2022, 02:49 PM)westwardloo Wrote: Eeesh, nothing like painting red brick greyish white. I think they might be putting lipstick on a Pig with this one. I wonder if this is a solution to extend the lifecycle of the brick?

Nah, brick is pretty solid material...the design trend of this decade is simply obsessed with monochrome. Painting red brick is hideous though. Europro complete ruined John Lingwood's old Kitchener city hall office tower by painting it grey: https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/...p?aid=6472

Lots of people paint their brick houses, it tends to look pretty bad after a few years when it starts to peel.
Does this new trail at central station connect to the Iron Horse trail via Cherry Street?
[Image: g2f2VfN.jpg]
Right now it's blocked at the tracks where they're building that parking garage. You can ride through the bramm lot and end up on Park St.
Wasn't there a sign there saying cyclists were supposed to walk their bikes on the ramp?
(07-12-2022, 03:10 PM)danbrotherston Wrote:

Painting brick doesn't extend its lifespan does it? Brick will last a century or more...I had a century home with original brick in perfectly good condition.

Paint on the other hand will need redoing every 5 years or so.

It's really for that reason that I hate painting of brick...although sometimes it does look good but again, only if maintenance is done regularly.
It depends on the type of bricks used. Brick is a very porous material and is effected by freeze thaw cycles more then other material. It also completely depends on the installation. If there are not a sufficient air space behind the brick with weep holes and a proper gap at the top to allow air movement behind the bricks.  They will not dry and will become brittle and decay a lot quicker then 100 years. A paint coat could prevent water absobtion in the brick which could extend its lifespan, or the paint could trap moisture in the brick cause it to deteriorate faster.  Saying this I hate when people paint their beautiful old brick house. Buy a stucco house if you want to paint it.
(07-12-2022, 07:56 PM)CP42 Wrote: Does this new trail at central station connect to the Iron Horse trail via Cherry Street?

Yes it will link to Joseph and Stewart across the tracks after that new section of MUT is completed this summer. They are already working on the Stewart section, which will pass by the under construction parking garage. This connects the existing Joseph lane and the crossing to Cherry Park at Park St.

I don’t think I’ve seen this anywhere, but please correct me if this has been posted. Was browsing some old threads that linked this rendering studio which Momentum and Kirkor both use: https://www.dhrendering.com/high-rise/#prettyPhoto

Appears to be a 32 storey building at Weber and College. It appears the photo is date stamped May 23, 2022. Is also quite recent as noted by the fairly up-to-date Station Park progress in the back.
[Image: 7SaRXQC.jpg]
Another from the same site: 
[Image: kPgaAIe.jpg]
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »