Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Cycling in Waterloo Region
(07-04-2022, 11:20 AM)cherrypark Wrote: Feels like a No Stopping Mon-Sat would at least be a little more reasonable compromise for the sake of mobility concerns though its not clear here if that is primary concern so much as just overflow parking.

As unproductive as it is here - where the church has more than enough property to add a drop off area right of the bike lane if they really needed it - I would still take this approach over them cancelling a bike lane altogether like they are positioning to do on Duke, I suppose.

I didn't think the Church was the problem on Duke?

(07-04-2022, 12:19 PM)danbrotherston Wrote:
(07-04-2022, 11:20 AM)cherrypark Wrote: Feels like a No Stopping Mon-Sat would at least be a little more reasonable compromise for the sake of mobility concerns though its not clear here if that is primary concern so much as just overflow parking.

As unproductive as it is here - where the church has more than enough property to add a drop off area right of the bike lane if they really needed it - I would still take this approach over them cancelling a bike lane altogether like they are positioning to do on Duke, I suppose.

I didn't think the Church was the problem on Duke?

I believe the church at Duke and Water was fighting to keep their parking along Duke, because the Duke entrance is their only accessible entrance.
(07-04-2022, 02:54 PM)dtkvictim Wrote:
(07-04-2022, 12:19 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: I didn't think the Church was the problem on Duke?

I believe the church at Duke and Water was fighting to keep their parking along Duke, because the Duke entrance is their only accessible entrance.

Perhaps they were, but they've either given that up, or lost that fight, or reached an acceptable compromise.....

Or more to the point, what I'm saying is that the region's proposal didn't have a problem near the Church, it was the region's refusal to implement protected infra that is the problem with Duke right now.
I have emailed the city councillor for that ward. Can't believe this issue is the sort of thing that makes me contact the city for the first time ever!
local cambridge weirdo
(07-04-2022, 05:28 PM)bravado Wrote: I have emailed the city councillor for that ward. Can't believe this issue is the sort of thing that makes me contact the city for the first time ever!

I'm curious which issue you're referring to. If the Duke St. cycling project, I recommend emailing the region. The city is largely at the mercy of the Region on Duke St.
(07-04-2022, 06:52 PM)danbrotherston Wrote:
(07-04-2022, 05:28 PM)bravado Wrote: I have emailed the city councillor for that ward. Can't believe this issue is the sort of thing that makes me contact the city for the first time ever!

I'm curious which issue you're referring to. If the Duke St. cycling project, I recommend emailing the region. The city is largely at the mercy of the Region on Duke St.

Sorry, I was referring to my church bike lane story. I never thought I'd actually take the effort and send an email to my councillor about something but there's a first time for everything in 2022.
local cambridge weirdo
(07-04-2022, 08:30 PM)bravado Wrote:
(07-04-2022, 06:52 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: I'm curious which issue you're referring to. If the Duke St. cycling project, I recommend emailing the region. The city is largely at the mercy of the Region on Duke St.

Sorry, I was referring to my church bike lane story. I never thought I'd actually take the effort and send an email to my councillor about something but there's a first time for everything in 2022.

Ahh...my mistake...that makes more sense!

TikTok video about the Preston King St. bike lanes.

https://www.tiktok.com/@bytor1970/video/...5738740998
Response video to comments about that was how bike lanes should be done.

https://www.tiktok.com/@bytor1970/video/...4953592070
(07-15-2022, 02:46 PM)Bytor Wrote: TikTok video about the Preston King St. bike lanes.

https://www.tiktok.com/@bytor1970/video/...5738740998

I really need to stop reading comments for my own health and mental health. Such selfishness and idiocy on display there.
local cambridge weirdo
Well TikTok is not really the place you go to find intellectual discourse...it's social media for little tweens. :'P Though, the comment sections are never good on anything.
The lower half of Dundas in Cambridge finally got the last asphalt and painted bike gutters/lanes. I was surprised to see the lane markings at the Elgin St lights. Elgin St is going to be converted into a cycling route (MUTs) so I’m curious how this intersection will eventually handle 4 way cycle lanes.

[Image: t8WdP8F.jpg]

[size=1][Image: 3htmg1A.jpg][/size]
local cambridge weirdo
Those look like brand new curbs. Why not use some of the boulevard to make dutch-style protected intersection & lanes? Sigh.

(07-16-2022, 11:14 AM)ac3r Wrote: it's social media for little tweens.

Tell me you've never looked at TikTok without telling me you've never looked at TikTok.
(07-16-2022, 01:53 PM)Bytor Wrote: Those look like brand new curbs. Why not use some of the boulevard to make dutch-style protected intersection & lanes? Sigh.

Lol...I literally met with the engineers from the region and from KPMG about this project.

They said there was no room...

They couldn't explain how there was room for [lane, bike lane, curb] but not room for [lane, curb, bikelane].

But I also had to remind them to reduce the corner radii from 30 meters on residential streets, so I'm not sure they were really focused on the ped/cycling realm here.

Honestly, the region won't improve until upper level staff either see turnover for interested and competent replacements or current staff have some kind of personality changing life experience or traumatic brain injury. Even after that, it will take a few years to rewrite all the bad standards documents.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »