Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 12 Vote(s) - 4.25 Average
Duke Tower Kitchener | 39 fl | completed
(04-25-2022, 08:08 PM)nms Wrote: Europeans tolerate smaller living spaces as there is a proliferation of "third spaces" that have become an integral part of their urban fabric.  This includes things like pubs, cafés, public parks and public squares.  Has anywhere in Canada caught up to creating local spaces where it is expected that the general public would hang out for long periods of the day without being asked to move along?

That's true, Europeans spend a lot more time outside of their apartment/house than we do. It's not that we've "been trained" to expect individual bedrooms or lots of space. It's more so that over here, our culture is very anti-social in comparison to Europe, while also having a very pseudo-independent mindset. That is, people expect to have backyards to sit in, an expensive coffee maker to make coffee, a fridge full of stuff and friends with cars who can drive over to your house. It has created a very different mental mindset of people.

When I spend time living in Germany, my flat is usually pretty small but I don't spend much time in it apart from the days I want to stay in, work from home, cook, sleep etc. When you want to do something else, you just go out and do it. Hop on your bike, a bus, a tram, a subway or a train (or just put your shoes on and walk) and go to a café, bistro, restaurant, bar, cinema, gallery, library, park, square and so on. You can be there, but be alone or meet up with strangers or friends. But over here - while we have those things - the accessibility generally sucks outside of our major cities (Toronto, Montréal, Calgary, Edmonton, Vancouver) and most people seem to have a mindset of individualism that has made them fairly anti-social in nature. You can't even say hello to someone in the street without seeming like a dangerous creep, whereas in many European countries you can strike up a conversation anytime, anywhere and with anyone.

This continent and culture just sucks.

(04-25-2022, 08:08 PM)nms Wrote: Europeans tolerate smaller living spaces as there is a proliferation of "third spaces" that have become an integral part of their urban fabric.  This includes things like pubs, cafés, public parks and public squares.  Has anywhere in Canada caught up to creating local spaces where it is expected that the general public would hang out for long periods of the day without being asked to move along?

I think the issue is time - we have less time to socialize, whether that is an extended lunch or lack of vacation days/time off compared to Europeans
(04-25-2022, 10:56 PM)Kodra24 Wrote:

I think the issue is time - we have less time to socialize, whether that is an extended lunch or lack of vacation days/time off compared to Europeans

I think though this is because we privatized third spaces. Europe made public vast lands originally set aside for their various nobilities and those were centrally located to major city centres. I think of Berlin and the Monbijoupark, a former palace grounds that became a public amenity. Where as it feels like here it is about "going to the mall" or a coffee shop. We have parks but honestly they are pretty outdated and we don't do a lot to build attractions at them.
(04-25-2022, 10:56 PM)Kodra24 Wrote: I think the issue is time - we have less time to socialize, whether that is an extended lunch or lack of vacation days/time off compared to Europeans

Yet we have a large population of retired people, as well as those who presumably have legally mandated time off. If there was a useful park within a five minute walk of your home or workplace, it would be a lot easier to visit during whatever short period of time you had. I'm not talking large spaces, but more a small square with some trees and benches that would invite someone to stop and rest without the need to buy a coffee or food first.
(04-28-2022, 09:30 PM)nms Wrote:
(04-25-2022, 10:56 PM)Kodra24 Wrote: I think the issue is time - we have less time to socialize, whether that is an extended lunch or lack of vacation days/time off compared to Europeans

Yet we have a large population of retired people, as well as those who presumably have legally mandated time off.  If there was a useful park within a five minute walk of your home or workplace, it would be a lot easier to visit during whatever short period of time you had.  I'm not talking large spaces, but more a small square with some trees and benches that would invite someone to stop and rest without the need to buy a coffee or food first.

I’m reminded that we have an old thread on Downtown’s outdoor spaces.
(04-28-2022, 09:59 PM)panamaniac Wrote:
(04-28-2022, 09:30 PM)nms Wrote: Yet we have a large population of retired people, as well as those who presumably have legally mandated time off.  If there was a useful park within a five minute walk of your home or workplace, it would be a lot easier to visit during whatever short period of time you had.  I'm not talking large spaces, but more a small square with some trees and benches that would invite someone to stop and rest without the need to buy a coffee or food first.

I’m reminded that we have an old thread on Downtown’s outdoor spaces.

Indeed. And at least in Kitchener, there are surprisingly many such outdoor spaces. Not every second block, but not so far from each other, either.
I'm the grand tradition of student developers, I've been getting ads for move-ins starting this fall here. The crane came down a year ago at this point so they certainly haven't been in a rush.

Some interior photos on the website:

https://dtkcondos.ca/dtk-gallery/
Real cool how they still use the old renderings of the building rather than actual photos of the atrocious podium design that is actually there haha.
Anyone have insight into estimated occupancy dates at DTK?
I heard a rumour of common area damage (and delayed occupancy) from a sprinkler issue. Just a rumour, or did something actually happen? Anyone have facts on this?
Did it destroy the podium facade??? No? Damn.
They are adding colour changing LEDs to the podium...

Oh FFS lol, just leave it alone already! There is only one way you can go by doing anything with this project: further down.
I would like to see a tower in the region have a crown, nothing crazy, something slanted, maybe even and illuminated one to hide the ugly mechanical boxes. This would give the skyline a nice look at night. I have yet to see any in any proposals in town here. Too expensive? Or are we just not there yet in terms of architecture quality?
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »