Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 11 Vote(s) - 3.18 Average
Station Park | 18, 28, 36, 40, 50 fl | U/C
(03-25-2022, 12:14 PM)Lebronj23 Wrote: I emailed the City for clarification on phase 2 and they got back to me with an updated site plan.(just this page)  This confirms the increase in floors

Building C = 36 floors, 115m 
Building D = 40 floors, 127m

Nice! 

How does an increase in height work when the entire site plan is already approved? Is there any sort of application/appeal process? Or is it that it just doesn’t have to be public?

(03-25-2022, 12:14 PM)Lebronj23 Wrote: I emailed the City for clarification on phase 2 and they got back to me with an updated site plan.(just this page)  This confirms the increase in floors

Building C = 36 floors, 115m 
Building D = 40 floors, 127m

This is very cool to see. Did they send you the full site image?
Does anyone know how taking these cranes down will work, when they’re inside of the structure? 

Also, since the cranes appear to be going directly through units, what do they do with the openings in the concrete there once the crane is out?
From my reading of children's books that talk about things like this (yes, you read that right), often a smaller crane is installed on the roof, the larger crane pieces are brought up to the roof, and then lowered down on the outside. The smaller crane is then disassembled and taken down in the elevator.

As for the holes in the floor plate, I would assume that they would just drop in a replacement concrete plate, either pre-cast, or cast in place.
(03-29-2022, 04:59 PM)nms Wrote: From my reading of children's books that talk about things like this (yes, you read that right), often a smaller crane is installed on the roof, the larger crane pieces are brought up to the roof, and then lowered down on the outside.  The smaller crane is then disassembled and taken down in the elevator.

I read about a condo in Toronto that had some sort of temporary crane mounted on it for years. I think it may have been used to take down the main construction crane, but they were waiting for part of the window washing system or something to arrive before they could take down the temporary crane.
A big mobile crane will have enough reach to get to the top of this building and take the crane down. Easy enough to drop the ball down the shaft and pick the sections out.
(03-29-2022, 08:25 PM)ijmorlan Wrote:
(03-29-2022, 04:59 PM)nms Wrote: From my reading of children's books that talk about things like this (yes, you read that right), often a smaller crane is installed on the roof, the larger crane pieces are brought up to the roof, and then lowered down on the outside.  The smaller crane is then disassembled and taken down in the elevator.

I read about a condo in Toronto that had some sort of temporary crane mounted on it for years. I think it may have been used to take down the main construction crane, but they were waiting for part of the window washing system or something to arrive before they could take down the temporary crane.

That was the L Tower. Quite a disaster logistically to have a temporary crane and platform for YEARS and never have cleaned windows but it was a unique shape and construction I guess.

Those small cranes that have been mentioned are derrek cranes, which while they do take down the main tower cranes often also help carry out other finishing touches that are unnecessary for a tower crane.
(03-31-2022, 05:51 PM)Bjays93 Wrote: Those small cranes that have been mentioned are derrek cranes, which while they do take down the main tower cranes often also help carry out other finishing touches that are unnecessary for a tower crane.

Searching for info about this led me to https://www1.nyc.gov/assets/buildings/pd...cranes.pdf , which I thought I'd post here. Nominally it's about powering electrical tower cranes, but it goes over the different types of cranes/derricks, and how they're installed, in the first half. Including details relevant to the earlier posts about external vs internal tower cranes.
[Image: MLVBfJd.jpg][Image: GqE5MOp.jpg][Image: 8VkiuTO.jpg]
(03-29-2022, 08:40 PM)clasher Wrote: A big mobile crane will have enough reach to get to the top of this building and take the crane down. Easy enough to drop the ball down the shaft and pick the sections out.

Looks like it has arrived!
[Image: ZDihuct.jpg]
The mobile crane is erect

[Image: z74chVr.jpg]
Down goes the jib
[Image: lxmQsWT.jpg]

I noticed they dropped the mobile crane off today so I assumed they'd be taking it down.

« Next Oldest | Next Newest »