Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 13 Vote(s) - 3.85 Average
General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours
New Google garage has grown quite a bit in the last week.

(03-17-2022, 12:02 PM)tomh009 Wrote: You can see the land ownership in Kitchener's Open GIS system. It won't show actual transactions.

I was curious about this, so I had a look at the ArcGIS API. I thought it might be interesting to put up a dashboard of property ownership changes, though I'm not sure if these changes would map 1:1 with "transactions". Unfortunately neither versioning nor archives are enabled for the "Property Ownership Public" dataset, so we can't look historically.

Before I email Open Data Kitchener asking if either of these can be enabled, is anyone here familiar enough with ArcGIS to know which would be preferred? I am feeling too lazy to read up on ArcGIS right now...

Also, am I correct that this dataset only exists for Kitchener addresses? Nothing for Waterloo?

If anyone is interested, there are 132711 properties listed. Of that, 11299 have public ownership information with 3088 unique owners.
(03-19-2022, 08:08 PM)cherrypark Wrote: New Google garage has grown quite a bit in the last week.

That's a garage for Google? I had no idea. Really doesn't look like it could hold a lot of weight, though I am sure they're doing more work on it. Hopefully they'll have a nice trail to walk along to get to work.

EDIT: weight...not wait...LOL
(03-20-2022, 01:09 PM)jeffster Wrote:
(03-19-2022, 08:08 PM)cherrypark Wrote: New Google garage has grown quite a bit in the last week.

That's a garage for Google? I had no idea. Really doesn't look like it could hold a lot of wait, though I am sure they're doing more work on it. Hopefully they'll have a nice trail to walk along to get to work.

[Image: tfJPJsj.jpg]
There's currently a crew boring some environmental testing holes at 20 Queen Charles Street West, which is the parking lot across from the street from the old bus terminal. I believe someone posted something recently about IN8 (sigh) planning another 40+ floor skyscraper for that location.
(03-21-2022, 12:21 PM)ac3r Wrote: There's currently a crew boring some environmental testing holes at 20 Queen Street West, which is the parking lot across from the street from the old bus terminal. I believe someone posted something recently about IN8 (sigh) planning another 40+ floor skyscraper for that location.

Do you mean Charles St, not Queen St?
Oops! Yeah. I'll edit my post.

(03-21-2022, 12:34 PM)ac3r Wrote: Oops! Yeah. I'll edit my post.

You talking about the lot beside North? The old Club Ren parking lot?
(03-21-2022, 01:09 PM)Joedelay Highhoe Wrote:
(03-21-2022, 12:34 PM)ac3r Wrote: Oops! Yeah. I'll edit my post.

You talking about the lot beside North? The old Club Ren parking lot?

Yeah, that lot wedged between the two old North buildings. The white building has that big colourful mural on it. They're currently boring holes next to 24 Charles Street which is the brown brick office building.
The former Taco Bell on Westmount @ Victoria is now being demolished and the site cleared for a new mixed use building.

Attached Files Image(s)

(03-21-2022, 02:15 PM)JCnb Wrote: The former Taco Bell on Westmount @ Victoria is now being demolished and the site cleared for a new mixed use building.

Oh, now my memories of the places are forever gone. Taco Hell was always the best place to go to if your inners were clogged up. Nothing beats a Taco Hell colon cleanse. Or if you had hunger pain and only some pocket change. Sucks that they couldn't have stayed in business...it is what it is.
(03-21-2022, 01:25 PM)ac3r Wrote: Yeah, that lot wedged between the two old North buildings. The white building has that big colourful mural on it. They're currently boring holes next to 24 Charles Street which is the brown brick office building.

To make this clearer, here's the property boundaries from the Kitchener GIS system. It's half the parking lot, and both the 24 and 22 Charles St W buildings (which I understand to be pretty much one building internally). Based on looking at the ownership data I don't think In8 owns any of the adjacent properties.

There's a 2021 building permit for Google office renovations, so I assume Google has a decent bit of lease left on the property to find it worthwhile renovating. The development probably won't be for a bit.

(03-21-2022, 03:15 PM)taylortbb Wrote: To make this clearer, here's the property boundaries from the Kitchener GIS system. It's half the parking lot, and both the 24 and 22 Charles St W buildings (which I understand to be pretty much one building internally). Based on looking at the ownership data I don't think In8 owns any of the adjacent properties.

There's a 2021 building permit for Google office renovations, so I assume Google has a decent bit of lease left on the property to find it worthwhile renovating. The development probably won't be for a bit.

Interesting, thanks! They're making the holes a couple feet from the brown building, near the black staircase that's at the main entrance so I guess they're focusing specifically on 24 Charles West.

I was lurking around Reddit this morning and came across a thread about someone considering moving into a building at "10 Duke Street". They were replying to someone and they mention a Sage building at this address, though it doesn't say whether it is East or West but they provided a sales spreadsheet from Sage which does in fact list 10 Duke Street with 1 bedroom units available: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1...=701890917

Does anyone have any idea what this might be referring to? Sage just builds student apartments from what I understand and only in Waterloo. 10 Duke Street West is that office building with plans for a that 40 floor building and that isn't from Sage. 10 Duke Street East is the building with restaurants and as far as I know, there are no plans for anything to replace that building. I'm going to guess this spreadsheet is just incorrect but it's odd they'd list available apartments for this address.
(03-25-2022, 10:30 AM)ac3r Wrote: I was lurking around Reddit this morning and came across a thread about someone considering moving into a building at "10 Duke Street". They were replying to someone and they mention a Sage building at this address, though it doesn't say whether it is East or West but they provided a sales spreadsheet from Sage which does in fact list 10 Duke Street with 1 bedroom units available: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1...=701890917

Does anyone have any idea what this might be referring to? Sage just builds student apartments from what I understand and only in Waterloo. 10 Duke Street West is that office building with plans for a that 40 floor building and that isn't from Sage. 10 Duke Street East is the building with restaurants and as far as I know, there are no plans for anything to replace that building. I'm going to guess this spreadsheet is just incorrect but it's odd they'd list available apartments for this address.

Interesting…
As far as I know, VanMar (or affiliates) owns 10 Duke St West, but IN8 (Sage parent company) does have property at 10 Duke St East I believe. Perhaps they have a couple of 1 bedrooms above the restaurants there?
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »