Waterloo Region Connected
General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - Printable Version

+- Waterloo Region Connected (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com)
+-- Forum: Land Development and Real Estate (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Urban Areas (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours (/showthread.php?tid=8)

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - tomh009 - 07-12-2015

(07-11-2015, 07:44 PM)panamaniac Wrote: Some day I'd like to see Ontario St as a good commercial/retail strip extending from Joseph all the way to Weber.

I like the concept, too.  But the hill is pretty steep, impractical for some people and just annoying to some others.  So I think it'll end up being more niche or specialized shops for the section between King and Weber.

We'll have to wait and see what the future holds for the block between Charles and Joseph, a lot will depend on the eventual development of the current bus depot.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - tomh009 - 07-12-2015

(07-02-2015, 09:49 PM)tomh009 Wrote:
(07-02-2015, 09:23 PM)panamaniac Wrote: I don't know what it was originally, but for many years it housed a children's clothing store called the "Little Pinto Shop" that was still in operation when the tower next door was built.  It is cute - too narrow to have an entrance on the front, the door is on the east side.  There used to be a little addition on that size that contained the entrance and another small display window.

In Tokyo that building would be narrower (maybe only 3m wide), have a front entrance -- and maybe six stories.  Big Grin

I snapped the first example I saw last week (in Tokyo): 3m wide, but only five stories, sorry ...
[Image: QiApO8p.jpg]

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - Viewfromthe42 - 07-13-2015

(07-11-2015, 06:49 PM)KevinL Wrote: The unit under renovation at 93 Ontario S has new signage for 'Queen Shawarma & Kebab'. Given the Hasty Market immediately next door is already serving Shawarma, this seems a bit overly dense to me.

[Image: 20150710_120307.jpg]

...and didn't we also see a sign for something similar in the Marisol space? Three similar places within shouting distance?

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - panamaniac - 07-13-2015

(07-13-2015, 08:42 AM)Viewfromthe42 Wrote:
(07-11-2015, 06:49 PM)KevinL Wrote: The unit under renovation at 93 Ontario S has new signage for 'Queen Shawarma & Kebab'. Given the Hasty Market immediately next door is already serving Shawarma, this seems a bit overly dense to me.

[Image: 20150710_120307.jpg]

...and didn't we also see a sign for something similar in the Marisol space? Three similar places within shouting distance?

As far as I know, there has been nothing announced yet for the old Marisol space. 

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - Lens - 07-13-2015

48 Weber Street has been condemned by the city, tenants are gone and it is being boarded up now.

(07-13-2015, 05:09 PM)Lens Wrote: 48 Weber Street has been condemned by the city, tenants are gone and it is being boarded up now.

I'm surprised - I thought it might be bought and renovated.  Is it structurally unsound? 

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - DHLawrence - 07-13-2015

That was the plan; maybe this is part of the process.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - Markster - 07-13-2015

I'm sure it will be structurally unsound after 3-5 years of vacancy while the owner and city bicker over what's to be done.
We've seen that story a few times now.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - DHLawrence - 07-13-2015

Here's the Record article: http://www.therecord.com/news-story/5731734-tenants-cleared-out-of-troubled-building/

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - tomh009 - 07-13-2015

(07-13-2015, 10:03 PM)DHLawrence Wrote: Here's the Record article: http://www.therecord.com/news-story/5731734-tenants-cleared-out-of-troubled-building/

Ooh, another run-down Terry Good building.  Why am I not surprised?

Can we safely assume that this does NOT have a heritage designation?

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - ac3r - 07-13-2015

That place has been a mess for the longest time. I can recall meeting a friend there about 10 years ago and it was no different; drugs and garbage everywhere. Hopefully someone decides to renovate it because it's a beautiful old building.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - tomh009 - 07-13-2015

(07-13-2015, 10:30 PM)ac3r Wrote: That place has been a mess for the longest time. I can recall meeting a friend there about 10 years ago and it was no different; drugs and garbage everywhere. Hopefully someone decides to renovate it because it's a beautiful old building.

No one can decide to renovate it unless Terry Good decides to sell it.

Hopefully the loss of 40 units of rental income, plus the cost of repairs, will focus his attention.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - DHLawrence - 07-14-2015

He only had 12 tenants in the building according to CTV.

Why haven't the courts gone after him for this? The word 'slumlord' comes to mind.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - tomh009 - 07-14-2015

(07-14-2015, 12:48 AM)DHLawrence Wrote: Why haven't the courts gone after him for this? The word 'slumlord' comes to mind.

It's the word commonly used on the UW campus back in the 80s.  There has been little change since then.

But I don't think there has been any criminal activity, so the only way for him to end up in court would be for a civil suit, by either a tenant (unlikely in this case) or the city, should there be a breach of contract.