Waterloo Region Connected
Storm Water Management - Stream Naturalization - Printable Version

+- Waterloo Region Connected (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com)
+-- Forum: Waterloo Region Works (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Forum: Transportation and Infrastructure (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+--- Thread: Storm Water Management - Stream Naturalization (/showthread.php?tid=78)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Storm Water Management - Stream Naturalization - panamaniac - 09-03-2014

An interesting piece from CBC about plans to renaturalize 1.3km of the channelized stream through Filsinger Park in Kitchener. I hope we will see more of this, although something tells me the concrete channels were originally intended for flood control, so I hope that there are no unintended consequences.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/kitchener ... -1.2753995

Re: Storm Water Management - Stream Naturalization - KevinL - 09-03-2014

I think flood control knowledge has advanced in the 30+ years since those channels were put in. I'm sure that's all part of the design.

RE: Storm Water Management - Stream Naturalization - tomh009 - 06-28-2022

Resuscitating a very old thread! Big Grin

The naturalization of Shoemaker Creek is now well advanced, and I really like what I'm seeing. According to the region, the naturalized creeks will actually be more effective at handling water flow from heavy rains. The mallards are already taking to it -- and it looks great!

RE: Storm Water Management - Stream Naturalization - panamaniac - 06-28-2022

Anybody else old enough to remember when Shoemaker Creek WAS natural and they put it into a concrete ditch?

RE: Storm Water Management - Stream Naturalization - tomh009 - 06-28-2022

(06-28-2022, 03:17 PM)panamaniac Wrote: Anybody else old enough to remember when Shoemaker Creek WAS natural and they put it into a concrete ditch?

When was that? For sure, mistakes were made, but I’m happy with the work on renaturalizing it, even if it’s unlikely to be quite the same.

I’m looking forward to the Schneider Creek project, but they’ll have much less room to eork with there.

RE: Storm Water Management - Stream Naturalization - westwardloo - 06-29-2022

Anyone know if there is a MUT running along the creek or are they just renaturalizing the creek?

RE: Storm Water Management - Stream Naturalization - KevinL - 06-29-2022

The Highland-Southdale and Kehl-Borden MUTs will be restored, absolutely, and I believe the latter will extend a bit further east and connect past Meinzinger now.

I'm not sure what's planned west of Highland.

RE: Storm Water Management - Stream Naturalization - clasher - 06-30-2022

I walked by the end near Homer Watson and there is a large flat graded area that looks like it could be turned into a MUT. OSM has paths on both side of the creek leading to Homer-Watson, so hopefully they make the connection all the way to H-W and connect to the paths that run through that park.

RE: Storm Water Management - Stream Naturalization - Bytor - 06-30-2022

I wish they could do this to Schneider Creek past Queen St.

RE: Storm Water Management - Stream Naturalization - Acitta - 06-30-2022

There is also work being done on Montgomery Creek.

RE: Storm Water Management - Stream Naturalization - KevinL - 07-03-2022

(06-29-2022, 09:48 AM)KevinL Wrote: I'm not sure what's planned west of Highland.

Okay, I went by on Highland earlier and got a good look, there's clearly the base of a trail along the north side of the creek as far as I could see.

RE: Storm Water Management - Stream Naturalization - Acitta - 10-04-2022

The restoration of Montgomery Creek is coming along nicely.

RE: Storm Water Management - Stream Naturalization - tomh009 - 10-04-2022

Very nice! Where along the creek is this?

RE: Storm Water Management - Stream Naturalization - ac3r - 10-04-2022

Looks great! We need more of this, especially along Schneider Creek in the urban areas where it's all concrete culverts.

RE: Storm Water Management - Stream Naturalization - KevinL - 10-04-2022

(10-04-2022, 04:23 PM)tomh009 Wrote: Very nice! Where along the creek is this?

Looks to be along Shelley Drive in Vanier Park.