Waterloo Region Connected
East Downtown Neighbourhood Name Wanted - Printable Version

+- Waterloo Region Connected (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com)
+-- Forum: Urban Issues (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Forum: Urban Issues (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+--- Thread: East Downtown Neighbourhood Name Wanted (/showthread.php?tid=746)

Pages: 1 2 3

East Downtown Neighbourhood Name Wanted - jgsz - 06-10-2017

Name wanted.

In KW we have Uptown Waterloo, Midtown and Downtown Kitchener.  However, in Kitchener, we don’t have an “official” East End.  Let’s keep it that way.

Quote:Developer ready to begin $60M project in Kitchener’s east end

The east end of most cities is the poorer side of town.  It’s where ghettos are located.   And there’s a good reason for this.  Because of the prevailing westerly winds in the northern hemisphere, the east side of cities have more pollution, are dirtier and less desirable places to live.  In other words, the “east end” is almost always used  pejoratively.

Since Kitchener doesn’t have an official ‘east end’ and because King Street East actually goes north-west to south-east, not east or west, let’s come up with a name that doesn’t have all the negative connotations of “the east end.”   

I suggest that we call the area from Stirling Avenue to the Conestoga Parkway  “Stirling-Rockway.”  I consider the area from Frederick to Stirling to be Downtown Kitchener.

So, we would have Uptown Waterloo, Midtown, Downtown Kitchener and Stirling-Rockway.  

Any thoughts, or name suggestions for the King East area?  

RE: Name Wanted - kitborn - 06-10-2017

How about calling it Stirling and it would be from Cedar to Ottawa? Then Rockway.

RE: Name Wanted - notmyfriends - 06-10-2017

I always think of it as the market area.

RE: Name Wanted - Rainrider22 - 06-10-2017

(06-10-2017, 01:27 PM)notmyfriends Wrote: I always think of it as the market area.

I vote market too,

RE: Name Wanted - jeffster - 06-10-2017

(06-10-2017, 01:18 PM)jgsz Wrote: Name wanted.

In KW we have Uptown Waterloo, Midtown and Downtown Kitchener.  However, in Kitchener, we don’t have an “official” East End.  Let’s keep it that way.

Quote:Developer ready to begin $60M project in Kitchener’s east end

The east end of most cities is the poorer side of town.  It’s where ghettos are located.   And there’s a good reason for this.  Because of the prevailing westerly winds in the northern hemisphere, the east side of cities have more pollution, are dirtier and less desirable places to live.  In other words, the “east end” is almost always used  pejoratively.

Since Kitchener doesn’t have an official ‘east end’ and because King Street East actually goes north-west to south-east, not east or west, let’s come up with a name that doesn’t have all the negative connotations of “the east end.”   

I suggest that we call the area from Stirling Avenue to the Conestoga Parkway  “Stirling-Rockway.”  I consider the area from Frederick to Stirling to be Downtown Kitchener.

So, we would have Uptown Waterloo, Midtown, Downtown Kitchener and Stirling-Rockway.  

Any thoughts, or name suggestions for the King East area?  

East Village

Calling it village softens its image. East is, to locals anyway, geographically correct.

RE: Name Wanted - jgsz - 06-10-2017

(06-10-2017, 03:21 PM)jeffster Wrote: East Village

Calling it village softens its image. East is, to locals anyway, geographically correct.

I like that.

RE: Name Wanted - kps - 06-10-2017

East Berlin.

RE: Name Wanted - creative - 06-10-2017

I grew up on Dane St. which is close to Borden during that areas much better days. It was East end Kitchener in those days and will always be in my mind. Similar to the street running through Victoria Park will always be Park St. and not Jubilee Way or what ever it is now called. I'm all for progress but some things need to preserved like some old buildings.

RE: Name Wanted - jgsz - 06-10-2017

(06-10-2017, 06:15 PM)kps Wrote: East Berlin.

I have a weakness for Berlin but not East Berlin.  In Germany, East Berlin was the place no one wanted to live in.  So as with "East End," East Berlin has a bit of a stigma problem ...

RE: Name Wanted - panamaniac - 06-10-2017

Downtown King St east of Scott has always been "the East End". No reason to change it, imho.

RE: Name Wanted - Rainrider22 - 06-11-2017

(06-10-2017, 08:34 PM)panamaniac Wrote: Downtown King St east of Scott has always been "the East End".  No reason to change it, imho.

Lots of reasons to change, but primarily to get a fresh start and and hopefully remove the stigma attached to "The East End".  Even the name itself is unflattering. The Market is great because it has positive thoughts,  The Market in Ottawa. Lawrence Market, just to name a couple.  

The East Village is nice too, it brings to mind nice pockets of communities, much like Belmont Village...

So in my mind, there is a real need to rebrand the area and make it another great example of the change and progress that is happening in Kitchener...

RE: Name Wanted - KevinL - 06-11-2017

The phrase 'East Village' to me evokes that neighbourhood in Manhattan, and the associated themes of the 60s counterculture, the Village Voice, etc.

RE: Name Wanted - jgsz - 06-11-2017

(06-10-2017, 02:03 PM)Rainrider22 Wrote:
(06-10-2017, 01:27 PM)notmyfriends Wrote: I always think of it as the market area.

I vote market too,

Market sounds good but the Kitchener Market is considered to be Downtown by the Kitchener Downtown BIA.  Map here.

RE: Name Wanted - rangersfan - 06-11-2017

How often do they(if they do) examine the boundaries of what is considered Downtown or Uptown?

For me I consider the intersection of King and Victoria a key piece of Downtown including the Sixo development but properly I believe they are not Downtown.
Even though one of the often cited sources for the revitalization of Downtown is the development of the UW School of Pharmacy.

I also consider the Market area to be Downtown.

RE: Name Wanted - danbrotherston - 06-11-2017

(06-11-2017, 01:22 PM)rangersfan Wrote: How often do they(if they do) examine the boundaries of what is considered Downtown or Uptown?

For me I consider the intersection of King and Victoria a key piece of Downtown including the Sixo development but properly I believe they are not Downtown.
Even though one of the often cited sources for the revitalization of Downtown is the development of the UW School of Pharmacy.

I also consider the Market area to be Downtown.

Are there official meaningful boundaries?  Or it more defined ad hoc depending on who's doing the study?