Waterloo Region Connected
The Inclusive on Courtland | 38, 34, 30 & 29 fl | Proposed - Printable Version

+- Waterloo Region Connected (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com)
+-- Forum: Land Development and Real Estate (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Suburbs (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Thread: The Inclusive on Courtland | 38, 34, 30 & 29 fl | Proposed (/showthread.php?tid=736)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20

RE: Virerra Village | 38, 34, 30 & 29fl | Proposed - ac3r - 12-19-2021

Quote:In the tribunal report, representatives for CNR said “a derailment could lead to progressive collapse of the planned towers in the proposal akin to the 911 terrorist attack in New York.”

Oh give me a break. That just sounds stupid. This is barely a shunting yard or anything, what could cause a catastrophic derailment that could lead to a 9/11 style disaster? This yard is only used to store extra "junk" cars that are eventually coupled to the CP trains that carry autoracks from the Toyota plant. Barely anything moves in and out of that yard besides empty grainers and hoppers. Anytime there IS movement, it's very slow and done by one or two low powdered switcher locomotives. 

If CN, CP and GO Transit can run trains through much denser areas throughout the GTA then I don't see the issue.

Edit: Same goes for their objection to The Metz. CP almost never uses that spur because all it does is connect to the CN Guelph Subdivision and while GEXR/CN owns most of the tracks in the yard, they don't really use it for car storage since it's CP that owns the spur that connects the yard to the CN tracks. The tracks are rusty most of the time.

RE: Virerra Village | 38, 34, 30 & 29fl | Proposed - Bjays93 - 12-19-2021

(12-19-2021, 11:49 AM)ac3r Wrote:
Quote:In the tribunal report, representatives for CNR said “a derailment could lead to progressive collapse of the planned towers in the proposal akin to the 911 terrorist attack in New York.”

Oh give me a break. That just sounds stupid. This is barely a shunting yard or anything, what could cause a catastrophic derailment that could lead to a 9/11 style disaster? This yard is only used to store extra "junk" cars that are eventually coupled to the CP trains that carry autoracks from the Toyota plant. Barely anything moves in and out of that yard besides empty grainers and hoppers. Anytime there IS movement, it's very slow and done by one or two low powdered switcher locomotives. 

If CN, CP and GO Transit can run trains through much denser areas throughout the GTA then I don't see the issue.

Edit: Same goes for their objection to The Metz. CP almost never uses that spur because all it does is connect to the CN Guelph Subdivision and while GEXR/CN owns most of the tracks in the yard, they don't really use it for car storage since it's CP that owns the spur that connects the yard to the CN tracks. The tracks are rusty most of the time.
The CN objection is here stupidly unbelievable. CIBC square in Toronto is a massive building going up on both sides of the railway. 

Also there's a hill between this lot and the railyard, I doubt a derailed train would come anywhere near knocking the foundation of the building, nor would a train be going through here with any amount of speed.

RE: Virerra Village | 38, 34, 30 & 29fl | Proposed - ac3r - 12-19-2021

If anything derailed anyway it would be very minor...like maybe a couple wheelsets slipping off. Nothing really serious. AFAIK they don't store any full tanker cars of hazardous materials there either, so if anything derailed it would be, at worst, a gondola of rotten wood/scrap metal or a grainer with nothing in it.

RE: Virerra Village | 38, 34, 30 & 29fl | Proposed - KevinL - 12-19-2021

The most common goods I see are scrap metal from the wreckers on Manitou. If anyone would object to a yard next to a large residential building, I would think it's the building residents; at least they should know it's there before choosing to move in.

RE: Virerra Village | 38, 34, 30 & 29fl | Proposed - ijmorlan - 12-19-2021

(12-19-2021, 12:19 PM)Bjays93 Wrote: The CN objection is here stupidly unbelievable. CIBC square in Toronto is a massive building going up on both sides of the railway. 

Also there's a hill between this lot and the railyard, I doubt a derailed train would come anywhere near knocking the foundation of the building, nor would a train be going through here with any amount of speed.

I think the development is intended to excavate much of the hill. My guess is the footings would be more or less level with the yard.

That being said, the objection is still absurd on its face. Maybe if it were a high speed rail line but it isn’t and never can be. Even if it were, it’s easy to mitigate: just build a suitably engineered concrete barrier along the tracks to redirect any derailments along the line and keep them away from the foundation.

I wonder what is really going on here? They must have decided they don’t want the development, but for some reason they’re presenting absurd reasons. Do they really believe this is a possible scenario? Do they want to buy the land themselves for cheap? Is there some other reason they can’t or don’t want to present in public?

I suppose in principle I should at least entertain for a moment the idea that a progressive collapse of the type envisioned is really possible and infeasible to prevent except by not building the development, but it just doesn’t compute.

RE: Virerra Village | 38, 34, 30 & 29fl | Proposed - danbrotherston - 12-19-2021

(12-19-2021, 05:11 PM)ijmorlan Wrote:
(12-19-2021, 12:19 PM)Bjays93 Wrote: The CN objection is here stupidly unbelievable. CIBC square in Toronto is a massive building going up on both sides of the railway. 

I think the development is intended to excavate much of the hill. My guess is the footings would be more or less level with the yard.

That being said, the objection is still absurd on its face. Maybe if it were a high speed rail line but it isn’t and never can be. Even if it were, it’s easy to mitigate: just build a suitably engineered concrete barrier along the tracks to redirect any derailments along the line and keep them away from the foundation.

I wonder what is really going on here? They must have decided they don’t want the development, but for some reason they’re presenting absurd reasons. Do they really believe this is a possible scenario? Do they want to buy the land themselves for cheap? Is there some other reason they can’t or don’t want to present in public?

I suppose in principle I should at least entertain for a moment the idea that a progressive collapse of the type envisioned is really possible and infeasible to prevent except by not building the development, but it just doesn’t compute.

I agree, they have some other motivation and are trying to justify it.  It's hard to say if this is just some insane level of groupthink, where they are so out of touch with reality that they think this is a real problem. Or whether they believe that they can make ridiculous claims like this and cloak them in the aura of "expert" and make them unassailable.

FWIW...I fear that regardless of their actual thinking, that some folks in some agency in some government, may believe them.

RE: Virerra Village | 38, 34, 30 & 29fl | Proposed - ac3r - 12-20-2021

If there are more motivations (and I have no doubt there are), why are they also objected to The Metz? That spur line can't be upgraded for anything. I can understand wanting to claim the land near the yard if they were going to expand, but their objections to The Metz make even less sense.

It'd be nice if our local journalists actually pressed them for reasons, rather than just parroting their generic press release. Try asking them hard questions...

RE: Virerra Village | 38, 34, 30 & 29fl | Proposed - cherrypark - 12-21-2021

(12-19-2021, 06:17 PM)danbrotherston Wrote:
(12-19-2021, 05:11 PM)ijmorlan Wrote: I think the development is intended to excavate much of the hill. My guess is the footings would be more or less level with the yard.

I agree, they have some other motivation and are trying to justify it.  It's hard to say if this is just some insane level of groupthink, where they are so out of touch with reality that they think this is a real problem. Or whether they believe that they can make ridiculous claims like this and cloak them in the aura of "expert" and make them unassailable.

FWIW...I fear that regardless of their actual thinking, that some folks in some agency in some government, may believe them.

I think its worth wondering what hours of the day they are running trains through here and if the yards are used for shunting at night. If the GO train yard at Park St. is an indication they could be appealing to these unrealistic scenarios as more "high impact / risk" options to just block having noise complaints and threat to some continuing operations there?

RE: Virerra Village | 38, 34, 30 & 29fl | Proposed - danbrotherston - 12-21-2021

(12-21-2021, 09:29 AM)cherrypark Wrote:
(12-19-2021, 06:17 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: I agree, they have some other motivation and are trying to justify it.  It's hard to say if this is just some insane level of groupthink, where they are so out of touch with reality that they think this is a real problem. Or whether they believe that they can make ridiculous claims like this and cloak them in the aura of "expert" and make them unassailable.

I think its worth wondering what hours of the day they are running trains through here and if the yards are used for shunting at night. If the GO train yard at Park St. is an indication they could be appealing to these unrealistic scenarios as more "high impact / risk" options to just block having noise complaints and threat to some continuing operations there?

It's possible.

But honestly, it's demoralizing, because that's a perfectly legitimate complaint, so why do they feel the need to lie and exaggerate the way they are.

Also, the fact that it's a legitimate complaint is also problematic, we saw this with the airport. People who bought homes NEAR AN AIRPORT chased an airline away from the airport because they objected to...*checks notes*...airplanes....at and airport.

RE: Virerra Village | 38, 34, 30 & 29fl | Proposed - ac3r - 12-21-2021

(12-21-2021, 09:29 AM)cherrypark Wrote: I think its worth wondering what hours of the day they are running trains through here and if the yards are used for shunting at night. If the GO train yard at Park St. is an indication they could be appealing to these unrealistic scenarios as more "high impact / risk" options to just block having noise complaints and threat to some continuing operations there?

They do most of the shunting during the day as it's safer to couple trains in daylight, but it's not every day. They then generally pick up the cars at night. The train usually makes its way from this yard to drop them off at the Maple Grove Road yard around midnight each night. Overall it's not a very noisy process...a slight rumbling of the train and maybe a few bangs as the sets of cars couple, but it's quite muffled due to the lower elevation.

Using noise issues as a way to block the project seems unlikely for that reason. The tracks run parallel to King, going as close to 40 meters to single family houses that are along Morgan and Morrison and even that isn't all that noisy apart from the horn when they cross a couple streets. CP tracks also snake their way through lots of residential areas in Cambridge which they run on very often as they need to go through them to bring all the cars to the Galt mainline in the south of the region. They have a huge yard on Samuelson as well, which is dead centre in the middle of a low density residential area. So really, I'm not sure what their objections are truly about.

RE: Virerra Village | 38, 34, 30 & 29fl | Proposed - ijmorlan - 12-21-2021

(12-21-2021, 09:29 AM)cherrypark Wrote: I think its worth wondering what hours of the day they are running trains through here and if the yards are used for shunting at night. If the GO train yard at Park St. is an indication they could be appealing to these unrealistic scenarios as more "high impact / risk" options to just block having noise complaints and threat to some continuing operations there?

I don’t think there is a threat to continuing operations. Railways are federally regulated; I suspect they could tell any noise complainants to pound sand and never get in any legal trouble. Anyway, railways just aren’t noisy the way airports are and it’s really obvious when one moves in right next to a rail line, in a way that it may not be immediately obvious where the airplane noise is worst. Overall, I just don’t see trouble with noise complaints being a reasonable worry for the railways. If it is, the fix is not to prevent projects but just to do something to make it clear both legally and factually to purchasers that they can’t buy and then complain later.

RE: Virerra Village | 38, 34, 30 & 29fl | Proposed - cherrypark - 12-21-2021

(12-21-2021, 11:14 AM)ac3r Wrote:

They do most of the shunting during the day as it's safer to couple trains in daylight, but it's not every day. They then generally pick up the cars at night. The train usually makes its way from this yard to drop them off at the Maple Grove Road yard around midnight each night. Overall it's not a very noisy process...a slight rumbling of the train and maybe a few bangs as the sets of cars couple, but it's quite muffled due to the lower elevation.

Using noise issues as a way to block the project seems unlikely for that reason. The tracks run parallel to King, going as close to 40 meters to single family houses that are along Morgan and Morrison and even that isn't all that noisy apart from the horn when they cross a couple streets. CP tracks also snake their way through lots of residential areas in Cambridge which they run on very often as they need to go through them to bring all the cars to the Galt mainline in the south of the region. They have a huge yard on Samuelson as well, which is dead centre in the middle of a low density residential area. So really, I'm not sure what their objections are truly about.

Fair points from all. Agreed its an obscene reasoning so it must be some other motivation that doesn't have enough material impact for them to challenge on it. At least, I can't earnestly believe the risk profile is that real considering the many other near-railway homes. Unless there is something particular about this site or the parcels that isn't obvious and they are covering their liabilities up front.

RE: Virerra Village | 38, 34, 30 & 29fl | Proposed - ac3r - 12-21-2021

The risk profile is absurd because they suggest a derailment could lead to a 9/11 style catastrophe. That's just...? Nonsense. You'd almost need to literally drive a freight train full of explosively reactive chemicals right into the buildings to bring them down.

Not sure how many people here are also train foamers like I am, but there's places in the US (and elsewhere) where they regularly run freight trains underneath tall buildings within urban areas. There's also countless street running trains in smaller towns that literally run huge trains full of things like intermodal units, hazardous chemicals to coal down the middle of city streets, next to homes and businesses that shut down roads on a regular basis (like this: https://youtu.be/x9StLsUtDkw) and serious disasters are extremely rare. Hell, GEXR runs trains down from Elmira full of chemical cars that go right next to offices, the university, student apartments, condos and uptown Waterloo so they can link up with CN trains.

If it's a noise issue, there are ways to mitigate that although the way railways work, they'd likely rather block a development than eat the cost of mitigation.

The fact they are also objecting to The Metz which is beside a nearly abandoned branch/spur line makes me think they're just bring difficult for their own long term or financial goals. It can't solely be a liability issue because they have tracks running through our own residential neighbourhoods and hundreds more across the country.

I'll be curious to see how this plays out. I would hope our regional/city governments are wise enough to tell them it's BS, unless there's some federal strings they can pull since railways are a federal thing but I kind of doubt they could.

RE: Virerra Village | 38, 34, 30 & 29fl | Proposed - tomh009 - 12-21-2021

They are objecting to the Metz, but not to Viva Towns, which is along the same track. And so is Garment/100 Victoria ...

RE: Virerra Village | 38, 34, 30 & 29fl | Proposed - ijmorlan - 12-22-2021

(12-21-2021, 04:40 PM)ac3r Wrote: The risk profile is absurd because they suggest a derailment could lead to a 9/11 style catastrophe. That's just...? Nonsense. You'd almost need to literally drive a freight train full of explosively reactive chemicals right into the buildings to bring them down.

Not sure how many people here are also train foamers like I am, but there's places in the US (and elsewhere) where they regularly run freight trains underneath tall buildings within urban areas. There's also countless street running trains in smaller towns that literally run huge trains full of things like intermodal units, hazardous chemicals to coal down the middle of city streets, next to homes and businesses that shut down roads on a regular basis (like this: https://youtu.be/x9StLsUtDkw) and serious disasters are extremely rare. Hell, GEXR runs trains down from Elmira full of chemical cars that go right next to offices, the university, student apartments, condos and uptown Waterloo so they can link up with CN trains.

I’m definitely a train … fan. My house is about 30m from the Waterloo Spur and I like it that way. Actually I wish the yard where City Hall is was still there and we saw more traffic. Anyway, I know from direct experience and observation that low-speed derailments are just not that dangerous. They’re a completely different animal from high speed ones. And even high speed ones can be anticipated and planned for.

Re: the street running and other situations: I’m pretty sure some of those are grandfathered. I doubt very much that a new installation would be permitted to be built where a main line goes right down the main street of a town. But it does illustrate that railways aren’t incompatible with other nearby uses. They don’t project a magical danger field around them; there are only the dangers associated with the physics of moving objects.