Waterloo Region Connected
General Urban Waterloo Updates and Rumours - Printable Version

+- Waterloo Region Connected (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com)
+-- Forum: Land Development and Real Estate (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Urban Areas (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: General Urban Waterloo Updates and Rumours (/showthread.php?tid=7)

RE: General Urban Waterloo Updates and Rumours - plam - 05-18-2022

(05-18-2022, 01:23 AM)danbrotherston Wrote:
(05-17-2022, 06:47 PM)ac3r Wrote: That's fine for personal use, but landscaping companies that are doing large properties and/or many jobs in one day can't rely on batteries that last 1 hour or swapping them out non stop. Sometimes they're out there 10 hours a day going from job to job. The battery electric technology would need to improve before we started banning gas equipment.

Sure they can, they just need batteries to swap in while charging the others through the day and night. They aren't the first workers to do this. Construction workers already use battery tools extensively.

But nms is also right, a broom and rake also work.

I'm not qualified to say whether a broom and rake are sufficient. They are for personal use.

The use of "can't" here is inaccurate. Over 100 US cities and towns have already banned gas-powered leaf blowers, including Washington DC. The cities here should too. Things can get better.

RE: General Urban Waterloo Updates and Rumours - GtwoK - 05-18-2022

(05-18-2022, 02:55 AM)Acitta Wrote: I thought that there was a thread on this project, but I can't find it.
Former Ontario Die factory in Waterloo is being transformed into condos and townhomes

Saw this and haven't understood why it's being reported on now when when it's been under construction for well over a year, initally approved multiple years ago, and one of the buildings is in fact, almost finished construction

RE: General Urban Waterloo Updates and Rumours - panamaniac - 05-18-2022

I notice that Reno’s are in full swing on the old KW Labour building on King St E, including the removal of the cornice. Does anyone know if it’s to be replaced with a new reproduction?

RE: General Urban Waterloo Updates and Rumours - taylortbb - 05-18-2022

(05-18-2022, 07:04 PM)panamaniac Wrote: I notice that Reno’s are in full swing on the old KW Labour building on King St E, including the removal of the cornice.  Does anyone know if it’s to be replaced with a new reproduction?

I'm not sure it's so much "renos are in full swing" as "building owner needs to limit liability from falling bricks" . See https://www.therecord.com/news/waterloo-region/2022/04/07/pedestrians-pass-by-as-busted-bricks-fall-from-crumbling-facade-on-king-street-in-kitchener.html

RE: General Urban Waterloo Updates and Rumours - Acitta - 05-19-2022

(05-18-2022, 03:02 PM)GtwoK Wrote:
(05-18-2022, 02:55 AM)Acitta Wrote: I thought that there was a thread on this project, but I can't find it.
Former Ontario Die factory in Waterloo is being transformed into condos and townhomes

Saw this and haven't understood why it's being reported on now when when it's been under construction for well over a year, initally approved multiple years ago, and one of the buildings is in fact, almost finished construction

Council approved the second phase on Monday. That is what the article is about. Anyhow, I should have posted this in the Spur Line Common thread. I edited my post to point to it.

RE: General Urban Waterloo Updates and Rumours - tomh009 - 05-21-2022

A nice expansion of an existing three-storey apartment at 144 Lucan Ave, at the intersection of the Spur Line Trail and Union St. They added three floors and 30 units (60 bedrooms!) without the need for a complete demolition and construction.

RE: General Urban Waterloo Updates and Rumours - danbrotherston - 05-21-2022

That's amazing.

I wonder if the buildings were originally designed with an expansion in mind.

RE: General Urban Waterloo Updates and Rumours - ac3r - 05-21-2022

That building has some serious east Berlin vibes...I like it haha.

RE: General Urban Waterloo Updates and Rumours - Chris - 05-22-2022

(05-21-2022, 02:37 PM)tomh009 Wrote: A nice expansion of an existing three-storey apartment at 144 Lucan Ave, at the intersection of the Spur Line Trail and Union St. They added three floors and 30 units (60 bedrooms!) without the need for a complete demolition and construction.

This project has been going on for about five years and appears to be no closer to occupancy then when it started.

RE: General Urban Waterloo Updates and Rumours - tomh009 - 05-23-2022

(05-22-2022, 03:31 PM)Chris Wrote:
(05-21-2022, 02:37 PM)tomh009 Wrote: A nice expansion of an existing three-storey apartment at 144 Lucan Ave, at the intersection of the Spur Line Trail and Union St. They added three floors and 30 units (60 bedrooms!) without the need for a complete demolition and construction.

This project has been going on for about five years and appears to be no closer to occupancy then when it started.

Hmmm, it did look a bit different three and a half years ago.

RE: General Urban Waterloo Updates and Rumours - Chris - 05-24-2022

(05-23-2022, 01:46 PM)tomh009 Wrote:
(05-22-2022, 03:31 PM)Chris Wrote: This project has been going on for about five years and appears to be no closer to occupancy then when it started.

Hmmm, it did look a bit different three and a half years ago.

If you roll the street view around to Lucan you can see the construction fencing up in parking lot but it only goes back to 2019. When I asked my friend that lives in the area about the project he said it was going on for around 5 years now. Maybe he rolled the evictions into that timeline. Confusedhrug:

RE: General Urban Waterloo Updates and Rumours - Lebronj23 - 06-08-2022

Interesting I didn’t know these towers were still in the works.

https://www.therecord.com/local-waterloo/news/2022/06/08/24-storey-apartment-towers-to-be-built-next-to-sun-life-s-headquarters-in-waterloo.html

RE: General Urban Waterloo Updates and Rumours - ac3r - 06-08-2022

That's a shame. SRM Architects designed that so I was hoping it was dead. Maybe it'll get redesigned but either way, I'm sure it'll look bad.

Edit: This does a good job explaining why we keep getting bad designs - late state capitalist architecture:

[Image: M5Irl2V.png]

[Image: 9DaiXAH.png]

RE: General Urban Waterloo Updates and Rumours - TMKM94 - 06-09-2022

I wish they would stick to there original plan and keep 217 King St.S It's a nice looking house and it's 133 years old I can't believe it's not protected. Usually I don't care when houses are demolished but this one bothers me especially since the buildings won't actually be where it is.

RE: General Urban Waterloo Updates and Rumours - Lens - 06-09-2022

It wouldn't cost THAT much to move the house temporarily then move it back. Around 300-400 thousand.