Waterloo Region Connected
General Urban Waterloo Updates and Rumours - Printable Version

+- Waterloo Region Connected (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com)
+-- Forum: Land Development and Real Estate (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Urban Areas (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: General Urban Waterloo Updates and Rumours (/showthread.php?tid=7)

RE: General Urban Waterloo Updates and Rumours - ac3r - 02-01-2022

Does anyone know if the project at King/George uptown Waterloo was approved? There was a proposal last year for this place for an 8 floor mixed use development, containing 2 floors of commercial space and the remainder being residential space. There is not much info about the proposal, but the City of Waterloo has 3 documents here: https://www.waterloo.ca/en/government/zone-changes.aspx#george

RE: General Urban Waterloo Updates and Rumours - KingandWeber - 02-01-2022

(02-01-2022, 06:40 PM)ac3r Wrote: Does anyone know if the project at King/George uptown Waterloo was approved? There was a proposal last year for this place for an 8 floor mixed use development, containing 2 floors of commercial space and the remainder being residential space. There is not much info about the proposal, but the City of Waterloo has 3 documents here: https://www.waterloo.ca/en/government/zone-changes.aspx#george

I was driving by this weekend and I believe it's actually under construction right now (lots of machinery on site). So yes  Smile

RE: General Urban Waterloo Updates and Rumours - taylortbb - 02-01-2022

(02-01-2022, 06:40 PM)ac3r Wrote: Does anyone know if the project at King/George uptown Waterloo was approved? 

There's a thread with updates, https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/showthread.php?tid=1312&page=5

RE: General Urban Waterloo Updates and Rumours - Acitta - 02-08-2022

This just shows how insane NIMBYs are.

How a quiet Waterloo street erupted over a plan to replace one house

RE: General Urban Waterloo Updates and Rumours - dtkvictim - 02-08-2022

Quote:One neighbour wrote to city hall in opposition: “People who want large homes with all the amenities proposed for said property are more than likely socialites, which definitely does not fit into our neighbourhood demographic.”

Quote:Jeff Teern petitioned the city to stop the new house but is OK with moving on now that it has been built. “It doesn’t bother me,” he said.

Excellent satire!

RE: General Urban Waterloo Updates and Rumours - danbrotherston - 02-08-2022

(02-08-2022, 07:07 PM)Acitta Wrote: This just shows how insane NIMBYs are.

How a quiet Waterloo street erupted over a plan to replace one house

Yeah, this is on point.

Replacing a bungalow with a bungalow on the same foundation gets an uproar, is pretty conclusive proof that there does not exist a development that people won't throw a tantrum over.

It's time to start ignoring these people.

RE: General Urban Waterloo Updates and Rumours - ijmorlan - 02-08-2022

(02-08-2022, 08:22 PM)dtkvictim Wrote:
Quote:One neighbour wrote to city hall in opposition: “People who want large homes with all the amenities proposed for said property are more than likely socialites, which definitely does not fit into our neighbourhood demographic.”

This jumped out at me as well. Bigotry much?

I mean, bigotry against “socialites” isn’t one of the big historical bigotries, but I think that sort of attitude qualifies as bigotry.

RE: General Urban Waterloo Updates and Rumours - clasher - 02-08-2022

Well at least you also have the benefit of knowing exactly what your neighbours think of you. Makes me wanna buy a house on that street and do the exact same thing, except I'd build something that looked nice. I'd also do it myself with as much loud equipment as possible, starting the second I'm legally allowed to.

RE: General Urban Waterloo Updates and Rumours - danbrotherston - 02-08-2022

(02-08-2022, 09:03 PM)ijmorlan Wrote: This jumped out at me as well. Bigotry much?

I mean, bigotry against “socialites” isn’t one of the big historical bigotries, but I think that sort of attitude qualifies as bigotry.

I mean, I had to actually look up that word.

I think it's a little broader than that. It's part of the culture war.

I doubt it's a concern about fashionable people who like entertainment, I suspect it's "people who don't believe the end goal of life is to own a single family home, have kids, and drive them everywhere.".

But maybe I'm projecting.

RE: General Urban Waterloo Updates and Rumours - tomh009 - 02-08-2022

Kudos to Outhit (did I really say that?) for writing this story!

RE: General Urban Waterloo Updates and Rumours - ac3r - 02-09-2022

Quote:Some neighbours were offended by newcomers proposing what seemed like a plan to better their close-knit street by building a better house.

That's a weird claim. "Their house will be newer than ours, therefore it should not be allowed under any circumstances." Like...what?

Also, "socialites" is a laughable term to use here haha. When I think socialite, I think rich people living in Manhattan, Soho or Canary Wharf...not living in a bungalow in a mid sized Canadian city.

RE: General Urban Waterloo Updates and Rumours - Watdot - 02-09-2022

(02-08-2022, 11:33 PM)tomh009 Wrote: Kudos to Outhit (did I really say that?) for writing this story!

In the old days you would have been banned from this message board! Tongue

RE: General Urban Waterloo Updates and Rumours - Bytor - 02-09-2022

(02-09-2022, 11:14 AM)Watdot Wrote:
(02-08-2022, 11:33 PM)tomh009 Wrote: Kudos to Outhit (did I really say that?) for writing this story!

In the old days you would have been banned from this message board! Tongue

I'm as surprised as the next person for actually liking an Outhit piece!

RE: General Urban Waterloo Updates and Rumours - Bytor - 02-09-2022

(02-09-2022, 10:22 AM)ac3r Wrote:
Quote:Some neighbours were offended by newcomers proposing what seemed like a plan to better their close-knit street by building a better house.

That's a weird claim. "Their house will be newer than ours, therefore it should not be allowed under any circumstances." Like...what?

Also, "socialites" is a laughable term to use here haha. When I think socialite, I think rich people living in Manhattan, Soho or Canary Wharf...not living in a bungalow in a mid sized Canadian city.

I'd love to ask that person what they think "socialite" means.

RE: General Urban Waterloo Updates and Rumours - Acitta - 02-09-2022

Here is an interesting essay about the real motivations of those people we call "NIMBYs". 

The Duplex Next Door Is Normal. The One Not Yet Built Is a Threat.