Waterloo Region Connected
General Urban Waterloo Updates and Rumours - Printable Version

+- Waterloo Region Connected (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com)
+-- Forum: Land Development and Real Estate (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Urban Areas (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: General Urban Waterloo Updates and Rumours (/showthread.php?tid=7)

RE: General Urban Waterloo Updates and Rumours - panamaniac - 06-29-2021

(06-29-2021, 03:46 PM)Ptomh009 Wrote:
(06-29-2021, 03:15 PM)ijmorlan Wrote: Is that house not protected? That’s a perfect example of the sort of unique property that needs to be conserved. By all means, build a huge building right behind it but don’t demolish. Isn’t that property pre-1850? We don’t have many in this city that old.

It's designated so cannot be demolished or (externally) altered without approvals.

There is a portion built in 1812, but kind of hard to tell which part of from when. (The Schneider Haus has not been altered quite as many times.)

Oldest building in Waterloo, no?

RE: General Urban Waterloo Updates and Rumours - Bjays93 - 07-06-2021

There's a pit at the corner of King and Hickory in waterloo, and an additional few houses boarded up and surrounded by fencing. Anyone know what this is?

RE: General Urban Waterloo Updates and Rumours - nms - 07-10-2021

(06-29-2021, 08:14 AM)Tony_Plow Wrote: I noticed the Erb-Kumpf house at 172 KING Street S in Waterloo has been listed for sale, and the listing touts the site for redevelopment.  Would they have to encase the existing home in glass (or preserve it some other way) in order to do a condo development on this site?

https://www.realtor.ca/real-estate/23369138/172-king-street-s-waterloo

Correction: Neighbouring site was just approved for increased density and height allowances. 

I can imagine that this might be a property where the City holds the new owner to a tight leash. As one of the oldest still standing buildings in the City, I could see that it would be a challenge to propose anything that is not sympathetic.  Another route could be to follow the Campbell House Museum which is in the heart of Toronto, across from Osgoode Hall.

RE: General Urban Waterloo Updates and Rumours - Acitta - 07-27-2021

WHAT’S GOING ON HERE?: Million-dollar homes, townhomes planned next to affordable housing in Waterloo

RE: General Urban Waterloo Updates and Rumours - jwilliamson - 08-17-2021

Lots of progress recently at the old old post office in Waterloo.

RE: General Urban Waterloo Updates and Rumours - KevinL - 08-18-2021

Nice!

RE: General Urban Waterloo Updates and Rumours - LesPio - 09-26-2021

Does anyone know what is being built in front of the Staples in Waterloo ie. King & Northland/Home Depot area.

RE: General Urban Waterloo Updates and Rumours - Acitta - 10-15-2021

12-storey apartment towers would bring more life to Quiet Place in Waterloo

RE: General Urban Waterloo Updates and Rumours - jamincan - 10-16-2021

I wonder if they would ever consider an infill station, because it seems like it could be a very easy win for the Region.

RE: General Urban Waterloo Updates and Rumours - urbd - 10-24-2021

(10-16-2021, 04:39 PM)jamincan Wrote: I wonder if they would ever consider an infill station, because it seems like it could be a very easy win for the Region.

Exactly, I've always thought this. This spot is exactly halfway between the R+T and Northfield stations, around 1km away from each... which is the average distance between stations along most of the line. A station behind the Albert McCormick rec centre would be perfect.

RE: General Urban Waterloo Updates and Rumours - Bytor - 10-26-2021

(10-24-2021, 02:39 PM)urbd Wrote:
(10-16-2021, 04:39 PM)jamincan Wrote: I wonder if they would ever consider an infill station, because it seems like it could be a very easy win for the Region.

Exactly, I've always thought this. This spot is exactly halfway between the R+T and Northfield stations, around 1km away from each... which is the average distance between stations along most of the line. A station behind the Albert McCormick rec centre would be perfect.

The email communications I have had with Regional Councillors about the possibility of infill stations, both on the already built Stage 1 ION and for rough-ins on Stage 2, have mostly gotten polite brush offs.

RE: General Urban Waterloo Updates and Rumours - urbd - 10-26-2021

(10-26-2021, 11:58 AM)Bytor Wrote:
(10-24-2021, 02:39 PM)urbd Wrote: Exactly, I've always thought this. This spot is exactly halfway between the R+T and Northfield stations, around 1km away from each... which is the average distance between stations along most of the line. A station behind the Albert McCormick rec centre would be perfect.

The email communications I have had with Regional Councillors about the possibility of infill stations, both on the already built Stage 1 ION and for rough-ins on Stage 2, have mostly gotten polite brush offs.

For now, but it will happen at some point for sure.

RE: General Urban Waterloo Updates and Rumours - tomh009 - 10-26-2021

The downside of infill stations is the increase in travel times for everyone else, so one needs to use moderation in adding those.

RE: General Urban Waterloo Updates and Rumours - danbrotherston - 10-26-2021

(10-26-2021, 08:58 PM)tomh009 Wrote: The downside of infill stations is the increase in travel times for everyone else, so one needs to use moderation in adding those.

There are only 1-2 places where they make any sense...I don't think that's going to be a major problem. And if travel time really was an issue, I have a few ideas about that....

RE: General Urban Waterloo Updates and Rumours - ac3r - 10-26-2021

Yeah, speed the fuckin thing up around places like Hayward Avenue etc. I recently took a trip on the LRT with a train engineer who works for BNSF - and this girl drives intermodal freight trains with hundreds of cars along some of the toughest routes in North America...so she knows a lot about trains. She was completely perplexed as to why it went so slow there (along with many other turns as we took the entire route). Without even having knowledge of the physics and mathematics and all that, she was able to tell me that there is absolutely no reason for the LRT to grind to such slow halts and spray sand every 5 seconds. I was legitimately embarrassed as we slowed down to a walking pace 100 meters or more before we even got to the turns. She kept joking about getting out and jogging to the next station. I had no answer to her curiosity - not even that they wanted to save money. It just makes no sense that they take these turns at such extremely slow speeds. She was like, yeah this is why most light rail/street car systems failed in major American cities: they interact with traffic and travel very slow, so nobody wants to waste their time using them unless they have no choice or need to save 5-10 minutes.