Waterloo Region Connected
General Urban Waterloo Updates and Rumours - Printable Version

+- Waterloo Region Connected (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com)
+-- Forum: Land Development and Real Estate (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Urban Areas (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: General Urban Waterloo Updates and Rumours (/showthread.php?tid=7)

RE: General Urban Waterloo Updates and Rumours - westwardloo - 11-02-2020

(11-02-2020, 08:07 PM)danbrotherston Wrote:
(11-02-2020, 07:53 PM)jamincan Wrote: It's nice that it's street-facing and not separated from the intersection by a sea of parking. Does anyone know if a site plan is available anywhere?

Indeed, that is an improvement, although it matches the former Chapters across the street, which looks better than it is, while the building is physically at the street, there is no activation of the street because there is no access to the building except off the parking lot.

I cannot tell if the same will be true here though.
This is worse than the chapters. At least chapters had real windows. This has window boxes that will most like be filled with generic images. Yes they have a second floor window, which is probably a break room or a managers office, but in my opinion it make the design worse. I kind of feel like we should be talking about this in the suburban thread.

RE: General Urban Waterloo Updates and Rumours - Spokes - 11-03-2020

(11-02-2020, 07:53 PM)jamincan Wrote: It's nice that it's street-facing and not separated from the intersection by a sea of parking. Does anyone know if a site plan is available anywhere?

Street facing means nothing when the entrance is on the other side serving only the parking lot

RE: General Urban Waterloo Updates and Rumours - tomh009 - 11-03-2020

(11-03-2020, 02:09 PM)Spokes Wrote: Street facing means nothing when the entrance is on the other side serving only the parking lot

Almost nothing. I will say that hiding the parking behind the building at least looks nicer.

RE: General Urban Waterloo Updates and Rumours - Acitta - 11-03-2020

(11-03-2020, 02:09 PM)Spokes Wrote:

Street facing means nothing when the entrance is on the other side serving only the parking lot
The view from the parking lot.    

RE: General Urban Waterloo Updates and Rumours - Spokes - 11-04-2020

(11-03-2020, 04:21 PM)tomh009 Wrote:
(11-03-2020, 02:09 PM)Spokes Wrote: Street facing means nothing when the entrance is on the other side serving only the parking lot

Almost nothing. I will say that hiding the parking behind the building at least looks nicer.

That's true.  And it sort of gives an urbanish feel.  Almost.

RE: General Urban Waterloo Updates and Rumours - Coke6pk - 11-04-2020

But the parking lot seems to be BESIDE the building... so it is hidden from Weber, but you still get a sea of asphalt along King.

Coke

RE: General Urban Waterloo Updates and Rumours - urbd - 11-22-2020

Ahhh... Waterloo and its suburban design ideals and already outdated new zoning by-law in action. Maybe one day we will see urban design that actually contributes to the pedestrian/public realm.

RE: General Urban Waterloo Updates and Rumours - ac3r - 11-22-2020

Sensible urban planning and architecture in Waterloo Region? Hah.

RE: General Urban Waterloo Updates and Rumours - panamaniac - 11-28-2020

(11-28-2020, 01:25 AM)Square Wrote: So it begins Sad

https://kitchener.ctvnews.ca/developers-pausing-major-project-planned-at-westmount-place-1.5208359

Wrong thread.

RE: General Urban Waterloo Updates and Rumours - Momo26 - 11-29-2020

All 5 towers are on pause? I didn't even know about this one....is it supposed to go where Sunlife/Micheal's etc is currently?

RE: General Urban Waterloo Updates and Rumours - jeffster - 11-29-2020

(11-29-2020, 10:11 PM)Momo26 Wrote: All 5 towers are on pause? I didn't even know about this one....is it supposed to go where Sunlife/Micheal's etc is currently?

My understanding is all but one are on hold.

RE: General Urban Waterloo Updates and Rumours - white_brian - 11-30-2020

210-228 Erb St. W are fenced off with Kieswetter Demolition on site.
These are the properties in front of the Muslim society of Waterloo

RE: General Urban Waterloo Updates and Rumours - jwilliamson - 01-31-2021

144 Lucan continuing to make extremely slow progress on their expansion.

RE: General Urban Waterloo Updates and Rumours - mastermind - 02-01-2021

That one is shockingly slow. Do you think people are still living in the first three floors while the add-on happens?

RE: General Urban Waterloo Updates and Rumours - jeffster - 02-01-2021

(02-01-2021, 09:13 AM)mastermind Wrote: That one is shockingly slow.  Do you think people are still living in the first three floors while the add-on happens?

Judging by the empty balconies, it looks like no one lives there.