Waterloo Region Connected
General Urban Waterloo Updates and Rumours - Printable Version

+- Waterloo Region Connected (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com)
+-- Forum: Land Development and Real Estate (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Urban Areas (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: General Urban Waterloo Updates and Rumours (/showthread.php?tid=7)

RE: General Urban Waterloo Updates and Rumours - urbd - 06-01-2020

(06-01-2020, 05:14 PM)taylortbb Wrote: Came across a new render for the parking lot on the west side of Caroline beside the ION station. The file name was Caroline-Office-12-15-01-Perimeter-Dev so I'm guessing Perimeter is looking at this project? Haven't heard anything about it beyond this one render.

From what I recall this project did not go anywhere. Who knows though.

RE: General Urban Waterloo Updates and Rumours - KevinL - 06-01-2020

The logo indicates Miller Thompson, the law firm, would be the primary tenant. They're currently in the Accelerator Centre at R&T.

RE: General Urban Waterloo Updates and Rumours - Spokes - 06-02-2020

If it's dead, that's a shame. That's pretty much the perfect building for that location

RE: General Urban Waterloo Updates and Rumours - KingandWeber - 06-02-2020

(06-01-2020, 05:14 PM)taylortbb Wrote: Came across a new render for the parking lot on the west side of Caroline beside the ION station. The file name was Caroline-Office-12-15-01-Perimeter-Dev so I'm guessing Perimeter is looking at this project? Haven't heard anything about it beyond this one render.

Man, that's such a nice building. It would go really well with the CIGI building right down the block. I really hope it does get built, even if it has been delayed.

RE: General Urban Waterloo Updates and Rumours - urbd - 06-03-2020

(06-02-2020, 07:39 AM)Spokes Wrote: If it's dead, that's a shame.  That's pretty much the perfect building for that location

(06-02-2020, 09:32 AM)KingandWeber Wrote:

Man, that's such a nice building. It would go really well with the CIGI building right down the block. I really hope it does get built, even if it has been delayed.

Even though it's a nice building, I personally don't think it's the perfect building for that location. A mixed use building with an affordable housing component (or at least mixed income) would be great. It could be a model truly mixed use building with residential, retail, office, and even a community use (such as a mini-community or arts centre). There is now talk at the Regional level about requiring affordable housing in projects close to ION stations, which would be a very positive move IMO.

RE: General Urban Waterloo Updates and Rumours - panamaniac - 06-03-2020

Affordable housing in UTW? You dream big ....

RE: General Urban Waterloo Updates and Rumours - jeffster - 06-03-2020

(06-03-2020, 12:13 PM)urbd Wrote:
(06-02-2020, 07:39 AM)Spokes Wrote: If it's dead, that's a shame.  That's pretty much the perfect building for that location

(06-02-2020, 09:32 AM)KingandWeber Wrote:  

Even though it's a nice building, I personally don't think it's the perfect building for that location. A mixed use building with an affordable housing component (or at least mixed income) would be great. It could be a model truly mixed use building with residential, retail, office, and even a community use (such as a mini-community or arts centre). There is now talk at the Regional level about requiring affordable housing in projects close to ION stations, which would be a very positive move IMO.

Waterloo would never allow that sort of thing. Especially in their core. Maybe if it was on Weber St by the Kitchener border.

RE: General Urban Waterloo Updates and Rumours - jwilliamson - 06-03-2020

(06-03-2020, 06:29 PM)jeffster Wrote:
(06-03-2020, 12:13 PM)urbd Wrote: Even though it's a nice building, I personally don't think it's the perfect building for that location. A mixed use building with an affordable housing component (or at least mixed income) would be great. It could be a model truly mixed use building with residential, retail, office, and even a community use (such as a mini-community or arts centre). There is now talk at the Regional level about requiring affordable housing in projects close to ION stations, which would be a very positive move IMO.

Waterloo would never allow that sort of thing. Especially in their core. Maybe if it was on Weber St by the Kitchener border.

Waterloo builds more mixed-use buildings and is generally more supportive of infill development than Kitchener. I think the city is taking the right approach to affordability by encouraging large amounts of market-rate purpose-built rentals to keep average rents down, instead of focusing on condos and then trying to build subsidized housing to house people who can no longer afford market rates.

RE: General Urban Waterloo Updates and Rumours - Rainrider22 - 06-03-2020

(06-03-2020, 07:51 PM)jwilliamson Wrote:
(06-03-2020, 06:29 PM)jeffster Wrote: Waterloo would never allow that sort of thing. Especially in their core. Maybe if it was on Weber St by the Kitchener border.

Waterloo builds more mixed-use buildings and is generally more supportive of infill development than Kitchener. I think the city is taking the right approach to affordability by encouraging large amounts of market-rate purpose-built rentals to keep average rents down, instead of focusing on condos and then trying to build subsidized housing to house people who can no longer afford market rates.
Sure they do, as long as it doesn't include affordable housing.  Waterloo is full of philanthropy  as long as the social services are located in Kitchener...

RE: General Urban Waterloo Updates and Rumours - tomh009 - 06-04-2020

(06-03-2020, 07:51 PM)jwilliamson Wrote: Waterloo builds more mixed-use buildings and is generally more supportive of infill development than Kitchener. I think the city is taking the right approach to affordability by encouraging large amounts of market-rate purpose-built rentals to keep average rents down, instead of focusing on condos and then trying to build subsidized housing to house people who can no longer afford market rates.

The city doesn't "focus on" market-rate rentals, just as Kitchener doesn't "focus on" condos. The decision on the type of building is strictly up to the developer. Or does Waterloo offer developers incentives to build market-rate rentals? I did not think this was the case, but please do correct me if I'm wrong.

As to the market rates, the Kitchener-Waterloo rental market is largely fungible and adding rental units in Waterloo will also relieve pressure on rental units in Kitchener.

Also, most of the new downtown Waterloo rentals (Barrel Yards, Princess) are toward the higher end of the market, unlike Drewlo, Market Flats, 59-65 Weber St E, 242-262 Queen St S and similar projects that are mid-market targeted.

RE: General Urban Waterloo Updates and Rumours - tomh009 - 06-07-2020

(12-16-2019, 01:51 AM)tomh009 Wrote:
(07-20-2019, 10:13 PM)tomh009 Wrote: It looks like this is under way again. Maybe four years behind schedule now, though?

The St Louis school project seems to be progressing, albeit very slowly. When I drove past last week, the building had new glass in all (?) the windows. No signs with any indication of condo units so maybe this will be rentals?

Slowly, slowly making progress. Exterior looks pretty good now but there is not much in the interior. The developer appears tp be BKM Enterprises from Brant, a small family-owned firm.

A proposal to develop an eight-story mixed-use building at the corner of King St S and George St. Not much information on the sign.

RE: General Urban Waterloo Updates and Rumours - taylortbb - 06-07-2020

(06-07-2020, 04:12 PM)tomh009 Wrote: A proposal to develop an eight-story mixed-use building at the corner of King St S and George St. Not much information on the sign.

Not a new project. 168 King St S is https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/showthread.php?tid=1312&page=4 .

(06-07-2020, 04:18 PM)taylortbb Wrote:
(06-07-2020, 04:12 PM)tomh009 Wrote: A proposal to develop an eight-story mixed-use building at the corner of King St S and George St. Not much information on the sign.

Not a new project. 168 King St S is https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/showthread.php?tid=1312&page=4 .

Right you are. I didn't even think of that project as I thought it had already got under way. Actually this sign appears to be the only sign of progress so far.

RE: General Urban Waterloo Updates and Rumours - bgb_ca - 06-14-2020

The former dairy queen by Allen station has a leased sign on it. I wonder what is going there.