Waterloo Region Connected
General Urban Waterloo Updates and Rumours - Printable Version

+- Waterloo Region Connected (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com)
+-- Forum: Land Development and Real Estate (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Urban Areas (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: General Urban Waterloo Updates and Rumours (/showthread.php?tid=7)

RE: General Urban Waterloo Updates and Rumours - tvot - 11-10-2018

(11-09-2018, 05:01 PM)Viewfromthe42 Wrote: People will say victim of LRT I'm sure. Saw it during Doors Open and it was beautiful, absolutely. Of course, my mind immediately goes to wonder about ownership of the building and its surrounds, and what this might mean for that iconic corner.

I lived in the apartments around the corner at 3 Regina (former Waterloo Music building) for a few years about 10 years ago. While I was there the owner of the apartments and the hotel decided to retire and sold off to a new owner. The new owner ran things through a property management company and the general feel of things and posted notices to the tenants got more hostile. Various rumours flew around from people who knew the staff of the commercial tenants (Hannah's Bella Bistro, Symposium, Waterloo Music, Erban Corner) about attempts to find loopholes to charge for things on top of the rent contracts. Rumours were that the new owner had re-development plans for the block but the owner of the convenience store between the hotel and the Spur/Chainsaw wouldn't sell.

Back in 2009 everyone in the apartments got notice that the hotel was expanding into the apartment building so we were all being kicked out. As soon as people looked into the law and asked for payments due for notice & time vs. # of units, suddenly the plans changed and people were no longer kicked out. Of course a lot had already signed for other accommodations. Various people had different mediations with the Landlord Tenant Tribunal, and I don't know all the terms, but at least one neighbour who I worked with at the time never got their payment and just gave up after they moved out of town. Apartments were never converted to the hotel, they're still apartments, likely with much higher rent.

Given the silence in the media from the current owners of the hotel, I wouldn't be surprised if it's the same owners still. My experience with them makes me suspicious of whatever their plans are. Who knows, maybe they've finally got an awesome redevelopment idea that maintains the building heritage, or maybe they're selling to someone with good plans, but I remain skeptical as long as they're involved.

RE: General Urban Waterloo Updates and Rumours - tomh009 - 11-10-2018

(11-09-2018, 05:01 PM)Viewfromthe42 Wrote: People will say victim of LRT I'm sure. Saw it during Doors Open and it was beautiful, absolutely. Of course, my mind immediately goes to wonder about ownership of the building and its surrounds, and what this might mean for that iconic corner.

I'd say it's a victim of the Delta much more than of the LRT. The Delta is very nicely done -- while not historic, it's much more functional as a business hotel, and most guests are going to be in Waterloo on business.

RE: General Urban Waterloo Updates and Rumours - Tony_Plow - 11-20-2018

(10-03-2018, 12:29 PM)Watdot Wrote: Agreed.  They look cheesy.  Tree Lights

Yup, I'm no longer on the fence about these lights - I actually now despise them - they look cheap up close and they have a weird shape - they definitely cheapen the look of the Uptown streetscape - close to a million dollars wasted.  I wonder how city council could make such a poor decision.

RE: General Urban Waterloo Updates and Rumours - MacBerry - 11-21-2018

(11-20-2018, 05:40 PM)Tony_Plow Wrote:

Yup, I'm no longer on the fence about these lights - I actually now despise them - they look cheap up close and they have a weird shape - they definitely cheapen the look of the Uptown streetscape - close to a million dollars wasted.  I wonder how city council could make such a poor decision.

Some of us believe this was a million dollars well spent.

RE: General Urban Waterloo Updates and Rumours - urbd - 11-21-2018

I really dislike them, not despise them, but I can think of so many better options that would've looked classier and achieve similar results. It looks too much like Macau or Las Vegas or a strip club district right now.

Something like this in just a few of the corners would've been better:

[Image: street-lights-at-night-hd-unique-contemp...ght-hd.jpg]

Or something like this:

[Image: b53cd7c541e49f19397fb82d8e6344f2.jpg]

My problems with the ones used are the shape, how many of them there are, and the way they are programmed.

RE: General Urban Waterloo Updates and Rumours - Watdot - 11-21-2018

I'm with you. I think they are disgustingly terrible. Driving down King Street last night, I noticed that they take away from retail and other signage. They are so loud and tacky. If I was a Business owner on King Street I would be pissed.

RE: General Urban Waterloo Updates and Rumours - Spokes - 11-21-2018

Ya I'm not a fan either, but to each their own

(11-21-2018, 12:24 PM)Spokes Wrote: Ya I'm not a fan either, but to each their own

Not really to each their own, they are in the centre of the City of Waterloo, they are extremely visible, and they do affect the visibility of businesses and create a very different atmosphere than before. They scream "YOU ARE NOW IN THE NIGHT CLUB DISTRICT!"

But isn't it a personal preference? Is the impact to businesses that great? I genuinely don't know the answer to that question.

If the majority of people like how they look, that's still just their preference.

Next time you are driving or riding a bus down King Street Uptown Waterloo please do try to take in the retail signage on either side.  If you are walking, try to take in the retail signage on the opposite side.  Recently experiencing the difficulty, it elevated my displeasure of the tree lights to hatred.  I appreciate many businesses have invested significant amounts to have tasteful illuminated signage approved, now just to be destroyed by the "Old Vegas" neon nonsense.

Whoever is designing Uptown is out to lunch.  Look at the standard lights below and ask yourself if they match the neon club lights.

[Image: 2cxsu3p.jpg]  

I can live with the old fashioned light standards.  They at least do not detract from signage of retailers/offices, etc.

(11-21-2018, 03:50 PM)Watdot Wrote: Next time you are driving or riding a bus down King Street Uptown Waterloo please do try to take in the retail signage on either side.  If you are walking, try to take in the retail signage on the opposite side.  Recently experiencing the difficulty, it elevated my displeasure of the tree lights to hatred.  I appreciate many businesses have invested significant amounts to have tasteful illuminated signage approved, now just to be destroyed by the "Old Vegas" neon nonsense.

Whoever is designing Uptown is out to lunch.  Look at the standard lights below and ask yourself if they match the neon club lights.

[Image: 2cxsu3p.jpg]  

I can live with the old fashioned light standards.  They at least do not detract from signage of retailers/offices, etc.

Those fake old fashioned ones are pretty hideous too, especially for a city that is proud of its tech industry and "modernity". Also, the light they give is extremely white, bright and uncomfortable.

I think the downtown Kitchener lights are the best

RE: General Urban Waterloo Updates and Rumours - timc - 11-21-2018

(11-21-2018, 04:35 PM)Spokes Wrote: I think the downtown Kitchener lights are the best

Seconded.

(11-21-2018, 03:57 PM)urbd Wrote: Those fake old fashioned ones are pretty hideous too, especially for a city that is proud of its tech industry and "modernity". Also, the light they give is extremely white, bright and uncomfortable.

I don't disagree, just saying I can live with them as they still have less impact. Will have to pay attention to the downtown Kitchener lights next time I am there.

RE: General Urban Waterloo Updates and Rumours - Tony_Plow - 11-21-2018

(11-21-2018, 04:48 PM)timc Wrote:
(11-21-2018, 04:35 PM)Spokes Wrote: I think the downtown Kitchener lights are the best

Seconded.

Yup, the DTK lights look good at night - much higher end look/ not too bright or overbearing.
I still don't understand how Waterloo could make such an obvious mistake.