Waterloo Region Connected
General Urban Waterloo Updates and Rumours - Printable Version

+- Waterloo Region Connected (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com)
+-- Forum: Land Development and Real Estate (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Urban Areas (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: General Urban Waterloo Updates and Rumours (/showthread.php?tid=7)

RE: General Urban Waterloo Updates and Rumours - myfaceisonfire - 08-09-2018

Man, it's such a shame to be losing those old mennonite homes.  I know Terry Good really ran them into the groun but they were still charming.  I lived at 16 George through my formidable University years and have great memories of the place, it was such a cool house.

RE: General Urban Waterloo Updates and Rumours - panamaniac - 08-09-2018

(08-09-2018, 09:17 AM)myfaceisonfire Wrote: Man, it's such a shame to be losing those old mennonite homes.  I know Terry Good really ran them into the groun but they were still charming.  I lived at 16 George through my formidable University years and have great memories of the place, it was such a cool house.

Possible, I suppose, but seems unlikely.

RE: General Urban Waterloo Updates and Rumours - myfaceisonfire - 08-09-2018

(08-09-2018, 09:24 AM)panamaniac Wrote:
(08-09-2018, 09:17 AM)myfaceisonfire Wrote: Man, it's such a shame to be losing those old mennonite homes.  I know Terry Good really ran them into the groun but they were still charming.  I lived at 16 George through my formidable University years and have great memories of the place, it was such a cool house.

Possible, I suppose, but seems unlikely.
 WHAT?!  You mean Terry Good LIED to me!  Impossible! Why would such an upstanding citizen of our community do such a thing!?

RE: General Urban Waterloo Updates and Rumours - panamaniac - 08-09-2018

LOL.   There are probably lots of examples, but 114 Albert St is one that I believe I have seen described as being "Mennonite" in style.  A type of Georgian, istm.

RE: General Urban Waterloo Updates and Rumours - Tony_Plow - 08-09-2018

Yup, definitely too bad to lose character homes in the core.
The new town homes will be awfully close to King St. - it's almost more of a commercial area on that stretch of George.
Also, I assume that the pumping station lands behind these town homes will be redeveloped at some point.
Crazy that those town homes are selling for $1 million a piece.

RE: General Urban Waterloo Updates and Rumours - urbd - 08-10-2018

Terrible to lose these houses in one of the most historic neighbourhoods of the region. Could they actually not be restored? As usual, greed wins.

RE: General Urban Waterloo Updates and Rumours - tomh009 - 08-10-2018

(08-10-2018, 10:27 AM)urbd Wrote: Terrible to lose these houses in one of the most historic neighbourhoods of the region. Could they actually not be restored? As usual, greed wins.

They could have been nice if restored. But not unique, and not every house needs to be preserved, at least in my opinion.

RE: General Urban Waterloo Updates and Rumours - Tony_Plow - 08-13-2018

Has anyone noticed a sewer smell right near the corner of King and Willis Way - kind of beside the parking garage?  Every time I drive down King I notice it - and especially so when I'm stopped at that intersection.

RE: General Urban Waterloo Updates and Rumours - urbd - 08-14-2018

(08-13-2018, 02:28 PM)Tony_Plow Wrote: Has anyone noticed a sewer smell right near the corner of King and Willis Way - kind of beside the parking garage?  Every time I drive down King I notice it - and especially so when I'm stopped at that intersection.

Maybe there's a vent/opening to the creek that runs directly underneath this location?

RE: General Urban Waterloo Updates and Rumours - Pheidippides - 08-18-2018

Zero Waste Bulk is taking over 110 King St S. (former Gospel Lighthouse location).

RE: General Urban Waterloo Updates and Rumours - Viewfromthe42 - 08-20-2018

They will surely close immediately, since Eating Well Organically had to close because being in UpTown made it impossible to accept food deliveries...

RE: General Urban Waterloo Updates and Rumours - ijmorlan - 08-20-2018

(08-20-2018, 08:27 AM)Viewfromthe42 Wrote: They will surely close immediately, since Eating Well Organically had to close because being in UpTown made it impossible to accept food deliveries...

Impossible to accept deliveries? Nonsense, just have the delivery truck park on the tracks! Tongue

RE: General Urban Waterloo Updates and Rumours - urbd - 08-20-2018

(08-20-2018, 08:27 AM)Viewfromthe42 Wrote: They will surely close immediately, since Eating Well Organically had to close because being in UpTown made it impossible to accept food deliveries...

It's not like these businesses have fully functional rear entrances to the laneway behind them or anything...

RE: General Urban Waterloo Updates and Rumours - Viewfromthe42 - 08-22-2018

Things that confuse me: MACA is appealing the approval of a liquor license application for the old Empress of India location. I don't know what's going in there, but across the street from Ethel's, it feels a bit like "we want to live directly next to the bustling core of a major city, we just don't want it to bustle in ways we don't personally use or at times we don't personally use it." Maybe no open windows with loud music pumping into the neighbourhood until 2am? Sure. But it's quite surprising to go after an establishment at the knees, its base ability to function.

RE: General Urban Waterloo Updates and Rumours - panamaniac - 08-22-2018

MACA?