Waterloo Region Connected
General Urban Waterloo Updates and Rumours - Printable Version

+- Waterloo Region Connected (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com)
+-- Forum: Land Development and Real Estate (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Urban Areas (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: General Urban Waterloo Updates and Rumours (/showthread.php?tid=7)

RE: General Urban Waterloo Updates and Rumours - KingandWeber - 05-14-2016

(05-14-2016, 03:44 PM)jwilliamson Wrote: Kieswetter Demolition has some dumpsters and a miniature excavator behind the old police station in Waterloo. Is there any new news about the hotel?

I heard that the hotel plans were scrapped and it's becoming a tech startup space...don't hold me to it though!

RE: General Urban Waterloo Updates and Rumours - BuildingScout - 05-17-2016

(05-14-2016, 03:44 PM)jwilliamson Wrote: Kieswetter Demolition has some dumpsters and a miniature excavator behind the old police station in Waterloo. Is there any new news about the hotel?

They are removing interior wall partitions only. Looks like they are prepping for a new office tenant.

RE: General Urban Waterloo Updates and Rumours - panamaniac - 05-17-2016

(05-17-2016, 02:11 PM)BuildingScout Wrote:

They are removing interior wall partitions only. Looks like they are prepping for a new office tenant.

I seem to recall, as King and Weber noted, that that plan is for some sort of high tech incubator to move into the space.  Wasn't there a report in the Record to that effect a number of months back?  Memories fade.

RE: General Urban Waterloo Updates and Rumours - MidTowner - 05-17-2016

Your memories do not fail you gentlemen. Carnegie library pitched as open data incubator in Waterloo

It will be branded "The Data Mine." The one councillor envisions a "data district" in the core.

RE: General Urban Waterloo Updates and Rumours - tvot - 05-17-2016

Uhm....The Carnegie library building is the former home for Habitat for Humanity, not the former police station. They are very close to each other, so I understand the confusion.

Still, the dumpsters are behind the police station, so there is finally something going on.

RE: General Urban Waterloo Updates and Rumours - kwliving - 05-17-2016

(05-17-2016, 04:27 PM)tvot Wrote: Uhm....The Carnegie library building is the former home for Habitat for Humanity, not the former police station. They are very close to each other, so I understand the confusion.

Still, the dumpsters are behind the police station, so there is finally something going on.

The former Habitat for Humanity is the previous to the previous police station. Smile

RE: General Urban Waterloo Updates and Rumours - tvot - 05-17-2016

(05-17-2016, 05:18 PM)kwliving Wrote: The former Habitat for Humanity is the previous to the previous police station. Smile

True, but the dumpsters are behind the current previous police station Smile on Erb (last reportedly owned by Ophelia Lazaridis) ...unless there are dumpsters behind the Habitat for Humanity building too... didn't look when I went to the original Princess last night.

RE: General Urban Waterloo Updates and Rumours - MidTowner - 05-17-2016

(05-17-2016, 04:27 PM)tvot Wrote: Uhm....The Carnegie library building is the former home for Habitat for Humanity, not the former police station. They are very close to each other, so I understand the confusion.

The Carnegie Library is both the former home for Habitat for Humanity, AND the former police station. But which building was jwilliamson referring to? The Carnegie Library turned police station turned Habitat offices? Or the building more recently used as a police station? I thought the former.

RE: General Urban Waterloo Updates and Rumours - jwilliamson - 05-19-2016

(05-17-2016, 09:05 PM)MidTowner Wrote:

The Carnegie Library is both the former home for Habitat for Humanity, AND the former police station. But which building was jwilliamson referring to? The Carnegie Library turned police station turned Habitat offices? Or the building more recently used as a police station? I thought the former.

The latter.

RE: General Urban Waterloo Updates and Rumours - MidTowner - 05-19-2016

(05-19-2016, 12:19 PM)jwilliamson Wrote: The latter.

Thanks. Then any idea what is specifically happening with the former police station?

RE: General Urban Waterloo Updates and Rumours - Pheidippides - 06-01-2016

Sorry, couldn't help documenting a peeve about this section of the trail. It's narrow enough as it is!

RE: General Urban Waterloo Updates and Rumours - eizenstriet - 06-01-2016

Re the photos of the Spurline Crossing do-over, is that styrofoam surface-sculpted to look like precast concrete? It's the great imposter of building materials! I wonder if it could be made to resemble aluminum siding, or cedar shakes, or travertine?

The world is soon going to experience a shortage of styrofoam. I can't decide whether to buy stock in Acme Styrofoam or just start saving those styro-popcorn things in which are packed fragile items shipped after online purchase.

RE: General Urban Waterloo Updates and Rumours - GtwoK - 06-13-2016

Noticed the sidewalk along the backside of the Uptown parking lot (behind Scotiabank, etc) has been dug up. Some sort of tubing lying around there. Is this for the burying of the hydro wires along Caroline, or is that going to be far in the future?

RE: General Urban Waterloo Updates and Rumours - rangersfan - 06-14-2016

Vanguard Developments project at 72 Erb St E doesn't get support from its neighbours.

http://m.therecord.com/news-story/6721305-waterloo-residents-say-project-is-too-big-doesn-t-have-enough-parking-

RE: General Urban Waterloo Updates and Rumours - MidTowner - 06-14-2016

"Not enough parking." A little ridiculous to say about a site that is less than a ten-minute walk from Uptown Waterloo.