Waterloo Region Connected
General Politics Discussion - Printable Version

+- Waterloo Region Connected (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com)
+-- Forum: Waterloo Region Works (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Forum: Politics (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=18)
+--- Thread: General Politics Discussion (/showthread.php?tid=66)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31

RE: General Politics Discussion - danbrotherston - 06-21-2018

For the life of me, I cannot understand why so many people are opposed to more proportionality in our electoral system.

Why should the person who voted for Ford get infinitely more say in our governance than I, who didn't? What makes them so special.

As for functioning systems, yes, you end up with many smaller parties, that seems to work well in most places. People are diverse, there are many more viewpoints than three (or really two) which *should* be represented. Moreover, places with these types of electoral systems have been not less stable than we have, and have far less swings in policy. We're hardly one to speak about extreme views in our government, the US also doesn't have proportional representation, and they're the King of not being able to speak about extremism.

Plenty of countries have proven PR works well, our system results in a relatively dictatorial government not having to care about the other constituents, and getting completely reversed every election. How that is better than cooperation and slow sober thought, I have no idea.

RE: General Politics Discussion - creative - 06-21-2018

Examples please!

RE: General Politics Discussion - panamaniac - 06-21-2018

(06-21-2018, 11:33 AM)plam Wrote: Multi-member ridings are probably also necessary.

Probably with a PR system, but not with a ranked ballot system and certainly not with run-offs.

RE: General Politics Discussion - danbrotherston - 06-21-2018

(06-21-2018, 05:37 PM)creative Wrote: Examples please!

Of countries where PR works?  I believe Germany and New Zealand were already given as examples.

The statements about those was that they "weren't perfect".  Which is to say, they're a real implementation, it's never going to be perfect, but we can try for better, FPTP is definitely worse.

RE: General Politics Discussion - tomh009 - 06-21-2018

(06-21-2018, 10:01 AM)Viewfromthe42 Wrote: No system is perfect. I work with people from Germany and New Zealand, who both have proportional representation, and their experience is that you wind up with many different parties, none ever broad enough to get anything near a majority, none of their other large competition willing to work with them, and the minor parties able to crown the winner by extracting very extreme portions of their platform from whoever they crown. Often this can be extremely xenophobic in its result.

What xenophobic party has made it into a governing coalition in (post-war) Germany? For sure I can't remember any.

Yes, the anti-immigrant NZ First is in government today. But no actual cuts to immigration have been made.

RE: General Politics Discussion - Pheidippides - 06-21-2018

So I found some interesting background at these links:
https://www.ontario.ca/page/news-secretary#2018-february-28
https://www.ontario.ca/page/news-secretary#2018-june-18
https://www.ontario.ca/page/news-secretary#2018-june-8

Based on some of the decisions that have been announced in the last week it really doesn't seem like the caretaker bureaucrats are following their own guidelines. Do decisions of this magnitude usually get made during the transition period? It has been so long since we had a transition of power between different parties I can't recall.

"The long-held practice in Ontario is for the government to assume a “caretaker role” as soon as the writ for a general election is issued. The caretaker period will commence with the dissolution of the Legislative Assembly scheduled for Wednesday, May 9, and can generally be expected to continue until the swearing-in of a returning or new government.

The essential element of the caretaker practice is that only routine, non-controversial, or urgent business is conducted. The caretaker role requires that there be no new policy or program initiatives, and restricts ongoing work, consultations, appointments, regulatory postings, public engagement, announcements and ministry events. "

"Leading up to that day [transfer of power day], the Premier and the members of her Executive Council retain all of their legal rights, privileges and responsibilities. During this time, we will continue to provide them with the professional and responsive service they require. As during the election period, the government will continue to operate in a caretaker role where only routine or very urgent business is conducted. All other matters on which direction is needed should be carefully reviewed to ensure they are dealt with in a manner consistent with the caretaker role of government. This might include deferring decisions until after the transfer of power. "

So are is the government in waiting over-stepping its bounds? Has the bureaucracy gone rogue? Who's in charge?

RE: General Politics Discussion - panamaniac - 06-21-2018

I believe it is unprecedented. Has the bureaucracy gone rogue? No, they are doing the government in waiting's bidding (expressed verbally rather than in writing, I'd wager). Is that appropriate? Probably not, but failing to do so would be career limiting and bureaucrats know on which side their bread is buttered ...

RE: General Politics Discussion - jamincan - 06-22-2018

On the other hand, it could lead to a lawsuit challenging the decision for people affected by the program cancellation if it were, in fact, cancelled unlawfully.

RE: General Politics Discussion - Rainrider22 - 06-22-2018

(06-22-2018, 07:19 AM)jamincan Wrote: On the other hand, it could lead to a lawsuit challenging the decision for people affected by the program cancellation if it were, in fact, cancelled unlawfully.

The energy program has been extended to October 31 now.  So much better...

RE: General Politics Discussion - tomh009 - 06-22-2018

(06-22-2018, 08:02 AM)Rainrider22 Wrote:
(06-22-2018, 07:19 AM)jamincan Wrote: On the other hand, it could lead to a lawsuit challenging the decision for people affected by the program cancellation if it were, in fact, cancelled unlawfully.

The energy program has been extended to October 31 now.  So much better...

Installation deadline, yes. Applications were stopped without warning, though.

RE: General Politics Discussion - panamaniac - 06-22-2018

(06-22-2018, 11:38 AM)tomh009 Wrote:
(06-22-2018, 08:02 AM)Rainrider22 Wrote: The energy program has been extended to October 31 now.  So much better...

Installation deadline, yes. Applications were stopped without warning, though.

The October 31st deadline is for applications, which are submitted after the eligible work is complete.  What has been shut down are new orders that would be eligible to make application (i.e. if you order new windows today, rather than a few weeks ago, you will not be able to apply for a rebate).

RE: General Politics Discussion - tomh009 - 06-22-2018

OK -- but regardless, no advance notice.

RE: General Politics Discussion - panamaniac - 06-22-2018

(06-22-2018, 12:27 PM)tomh009 Wrote: OK -- but regardless, no advance notice.

There is a sort of logic in that - DoFo would have wanted to avoid a rush on what he considers to be a bad program.  Especially when he has left that program unfunded.

RE: Cycling in Waterloo Region - danbrotherston - 06-28-2018

I'll add it to my depressing list.

RE: Cycling in Waterloo Region - Rainrider22 - 06-30-2018

(06-28-2018, 10:35 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: I'll add it to my depressing list.

It's funny. I see things totally different. I am not down at all. I see many positive things going on. I guess I am a glass is half full kinda guy.