Waterloo Region Connected
Lai Lai Closed? - Printable Version

+- Waterloo Region Connected (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com)
+-- Forum: Waterloo Region Life (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Forum: Food, Dining and Nightlife (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=22)
+--- Thread: Lai Lai Closed? (/showthread.php?tid=607)

Pages: 1 2

Lai Lai Closed? - clasher - 07-20-2016

Seems like the Kitchener landmark has closed down, the sign is off the building and all. I haven't a clue what happened but I will miss the place's fine selection of vegetarian food.

RE: Lai Lai Closed? - Spokes - 07-20-2016

I saw that too last week. Sad if it's the case.

RE: Lai Lai Closed? - myfaceisonfire - 07-21-2016

(07-20-2016, 06:21 PM)Spokes Wrote: I saw that too last week.  Sad if it's the case.

NOOOOOO.  They had the best vegetarian options...now what am I going to do!?

RE: Lai Lai Closed? - danbrotherston - 07-21-2016

Well that is disappointing, I feel bad now, that restaurant was half a block from my house and I always thought I should try it, but never did. I cannot help but feel partially responsible now.

RE: Lai Lai Closed? - nms - 07-27-2016

It could also just be a case of the owners deciding to retire. I wonder who owns the building and how this might affect City Café? Given the tight space, there isn't much potential for changing the building shape or footprint.

RE: Lai Lai Closed? - MacBerry - 07-28-2016

(07-27-2016, 01:10 PM)nms Wrote: It could also just be a case of the owners deciding to retire.  I wonder who owns the building and how this might affect City Café?  Given the tight space, there isn't much potential for changing the building shape or footprint.

They had the best concrete lions guarding the entrance.   Big Grin

RE: Lai Lai Closed? - notmyfriends - 07-28-2016

(07-28-2016, 07:38 PM)MacBerry Wrote:
(07-27-2016, 01:10 PM)nms Wrote: It could also just be a case of the owners deciding to retire.  I wonder who owns the building and how this might affect City Café?  Given the tight space, there isn't much potential for changing the building shape or footprint.

They had the best concrete lions guarding the entrance.   Big Grin

Dibs!!!

RE: Lai Lai Closed? - Canard - 08-17-2016

One of our regulars; we'd dine there at least twice a month. I'll really miss the girls there. Sad

RE: Lai Lai Closed? - tvot - 06-14-2017

New signs appeared this week at former Lai Lai... I'm going from memory but I think it's "Golden Destiny" -- sign says something about dim sum. I really should stop on the way home and take a picture if it's not raining tomorrow.

RE: Lai Lai Closed? - kaiserdiver - 06-15-2017

(06-14-2017, 09:52 PM)tvot Wrote: New signs appeared this week at former Lai Lai... I'm going from memory but I think it's "Golden Destiny" -- sign says something about dim sum. I really should stop on the way home and take a picture if it's not raining tomorrow.

Golden Dynasty, and the signs say all day home made dim sum. I hope it's good!

RE: Lai Lai Closed? - jgsz - 06-15-2017

(06-15-2017, 09:23 AM)kaiserdiver Wrote:
(06-14-2017, 09:52 PM)tvot Wrote: New signs appeared this week at former Lai Lai... I'm going from memory but I think it's "Golden Destiny" -- sign says something about dim sum. I really should stop on the way home and take a picture if it's not raining tomorrow.

Golden Dynasty, and the signs say all day home made dim sum. I hope it's good!

So far, nothing in WR comes close to the dim sum at Cameron Chinese Restaurant.

RE: Lai Lai Closed? - plam - 06-16-2017

(06-15-2017, 09:35 AM)jgsz Wrote: So far, nothing in WR comes close to the dim sum at Cameron Chinese Restaurant.

Sam's Chinese Kitchen on Victoria is good and doesn't have the insane lines of Cameron.

RE: Lai Lai Closed? - Canard - 07-22-2017

Sam's is excellent, and some of the former Lai Lai staff are there.

RE: Lai Lai Closed? - tomh009 - 07-22-2017

Is it dim sum only?

Very inconsistent reviews on Yelp, Zomato and Tripadvisor: lots of love and lots of hate. Still, we might take a walk here to try dim sum one of these weekends.

RE: Lai Lai Closed? - Canard - 07-22-2017

Sam's? No, Sam's has the same kind of menu as Lai Lai did. Combo plates, individual items, you name it.