Waterloo Region Connected
Queen Street Commons Cafe! - Printable Version

+- Waterloo Region Connected (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com)
+-- Forum: Waterloo Region Life (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Forum: Food, Dining and Nightlife (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=22)
+--- Thread: Queen Street Commons Cafe! (/showthread.php?tid=593)

Queen Street Commons Cafe! - Homeless in Waterloo - 06-10-2016

Queen Street Commons Cafe is such a great place to be.

In terms of food, the cafe offers affordable, home-style meals at super low prices. My personal favourites are: The Quesadilla with the works (salsa, sour cream and tortilla chips on the side) as well as the Antojitos with sweet chili sauce.

But what I think really makes Queen Street Commons unique is the sense of community - it's a welcoming and inclusive space that regularly hosts events such as movie nights, speak english cafes and live performances. 

Everyone is welcome at the cafe (regardless of socioeconomic status!) and you can hang around without having to buy anything  Smile

It's also a great study and meeting spot!

RE: Queen Street Commons Cafe! - panamaniac - 06-10-2016

The Working Centre is going to be opening a second café down on King St E, which one assumes will be very similar to the Queen St Commons - the renovations are ongoing where the Morning Glory Café used to be and I think they should be open by the autumn. The Working Centre has a stellar reputation in town, although I sometimes wonder whether Queen St Commons isn't slightly "unfair competition" for a commercial spot like the Darlise next door. I do like that they host many types of community and cultural events.

RE: Queen Street Commons Cafe! - tomh009 - 06-10-2016

As long as they are not operating it with a taxpayer subsidy (and I don't think they use government funds for that), I don't consider it "unfair". It's a different kind of thing, and I think there is room for both Queen St Commons and fully commercial coffee shops/cafés to exist and succeed.

As for Darlise, I will say that it took me a long time to even notice they had opened! That signage is very, very subtle.

RE: Queen Street Commons Cafe! - panamaniac - 06-10-2016

(06-10-2016, 08:25 AM)tomh009 Wrote: As long as they are not operating it with a taxpayer subsidy (and I don't think they use government funds for that), I don't consider it "unfair".  It's a different kind of thing, and I think there is room for both Queen St Commons and fully commercial coffee shops/cafés to exist and succeed.

As for Darlise, I will say that it took me a long time to even notice they had opened!  That signage is very, very subtle.

Darlise's food is quite good, and their breakfasts are very good, but I have the impression that they are not very busy.  Perhaps once the Walper reopens....

RE: Queen Street Commons Cafe! - tomh009 - 06-10-2016

(06-10-2016, 05:25 PM)panamaniac Wrote: Darlise's food is quite good, and their breakfasts are very good, but I have the impression that they are not very busy.  Perhaps once the Walper reopens....

I booked two rooms at the Walper for late August, I sure hope they'll be open by then! Big Grin

I did poke my head inside today, and the lobby looks good.  No staff in sight though!