Waterloo Region Connected
General Suburban Updates and Rumours - Printable Version

+- Waterloo Region Connected (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com)
+-- Forum: Land Development and Real Estate (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Suburbs (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Thread: General Suburban Updates and Rumours (/showthread.php?tid=4)

RE: General Suburban Updates and Rumours - panamaniac - 12-09-2015

(12-09-2015, 10:47 AM)MidTowner Wrote: Is he referring to the amount of greenfield that's going to be plowed under? It is a lot, but it doesn't seem record-breaking.

This is intriguing: And a mixed-use main street called Equestrian Way that is being pitched as the city's fourth core area." The name is terrible, obviously, but I'd be interested in the form.

Sometimes, three struggling core areas is just not enough....

RE: General Suburban Updates and Rumours - Spokes - 12-09-2015

(12-09-2015, 10:47 AM)MidTowner Wrote: Is he referring to the amount of greenfield that's going to be plowed under? It is a lot, but it doesn't seem record-breaking.

This is intriguing: And a mixed-use main street called Equestrian Way that is being pitched as the city's fourth core area." The name is terrible, obviously, but I'd be interested in the form.

The city's 4th core?  That's the last thing they need hah.  

Huge development though.  Anyone seen a site plan?

RE: General Suburban Updates and Rumours - Markster - 12-09-2015

On the Cambridge agendas page, http://www.cambridge.ca/city_clerk/council_committee_agendas_and_minutes

Agenda for Planning and Development Committee Dec 8th, page 20
http://www.cambridge.ca/cs_pubaccess/download.php?doc_id=6556

Note how there is no direct vehicular access to the existing residential off of Beaverdale Rd

A more detailed plan for the Seniors Home Adult Lifestyle community:

Note how Briardean Rd is made a dead end, and has no vehicular access from the new development.

RE: General Suburban Updates and Rumours - tomh009 - 12-09-2015

So the initial phase looks to be 90% single-family (adult lifestyle) residential. Almost all the multiple residential, mixed-use, retail and office development is in some future phase some years down the road.

RE: General Suburban Updates and Rumours - MidTowner - 12-09-2015

(12-09-2015, 01:47 PM)Spokes Wrote: The city's 4th core?  That's the last thing they need hah.  

I read that as pure hyperbole. Some other uses incorporated here are a good thing, to give the people who live here a chance to do things without their cars at least occasionally. I have little faith it won't be messed up, though.

I would expect something like Williamsburg Walk. A far cry from a "4th core" but rather a somewhat walkable strip mall.

RE: General Suburban Updates and Rumours - clasher - 12-09-2015

That makes the suggested speedsville LRT routing make a bit more sense now.

RE: General Suburban Updates and Rumours - KevinL - 12-09-2015

(12-09-2015, 08:54 PM)clasher Wrote: That makes the suggested speedsville LRT routing make a bit more sense now.

True! That would certainly spur the development of the denser parts of the development.

RE: General Suburban Updates and Rumours - The85 - 12-10-2015

Hopefully Speedsville Road will be improved with the Hunt Club subdivision, or it will at least justify an improvement. Speedsville Road north of the 401 has a very poor, rural cross-section and is in need of improvements. The road is a good connection to Kitchener and Guelph via Kossuth Road to the north.

The Hunt Club subdivision was originally (about 20 years ago) supposed to be a continuation of the estate lots to the east....thankfully the development was changed over the course of time!

RE: General Suburban Updates and Rumours - KevinL - 12-16-2015

The building at 593 Strasburg has applied for a zoning variance; the plan is to build a second tower on what is now the south portion of its parking lot. The new building would have underground parking along with a number of new units.

RE: General Suburban Updates and Rumours - panamaniac - 12-16-2015

(12-16-2015, 02:18 PM)KevinL Wrote: The building at 593 Strasburg has applied for a zoning variance; the plan is to build a second tower on what is now the south portion of its parking lot. The new building would have underground parking along with a number of new units.

Good.  That big parking lot will not be missed.  Surprising amounts of rental being built in K-W these days, it seems.

RE: General Suburban Updates and Rumours - Drake - 12-16-2015

(11-03-2015, 03:09 PM)Lens Wrote: The Waterloo Inn will be closing on Dec 15th. They plan to sell the property to be redeveloped.

I listened to an interview of the previous owner yesterday. I think it was on 570AM, but maybe CBC. She said the new owners bought everything including all the furnishings. She said all that place needs is staff to continue hotel operations the next day. I thought that was an odd comment. I also figure the interest in purchasing the WI would be the land more than the building and chattels.

So now for the rumour part. I have heard the word on the street is that refugees from Syria will be staying at the Waterloo Inn. That could make a lot of short term sense.

I will be most curious to hear what they think of the Syrian Shawarma place at the corner of University and King.

RE: General Suburban Updates and Rumours - DHLawrence - 01-21-2016

On Facebook there's a rumour that a Farm Boy will be going in on Hespeler Road, either where the Chrysler dealer used to be or at Cambridge Centre (there seems to be some disagreement on it). In any case, it is confirmed that the Chrysler property has just changed hands.

RE: General Suburban Updates and Rumours - Canard - 01-24-2016

(11-03-2015, 03:37 PM)BuildingScout Wrote: Wow, but it doesn't surprise me at all. I predicted this when the Delta opened. Why would I recommend to any of my guests a hotel isolated by the highway, when there is the Waterloo Hotel, the Delta, and the Crowne-Plaza in Kitchener?

It's rather the opposite - it's not isolated by the highway - that's its merit (and about the only one!). Because it's easy access from the highway, so for visitors driving into town, it's much more desirable to simply pop off at an exit and drive 500 m than it is to navigate a confusing downtown that is unfamiliar to them. (Most people aren't coming into Waterloo Region by foot or on bicycle, you have to remember.)

At least, that's how it is for us whenever we travel - we generally aim for hotels off large highways for ease of access - especially since we're usually arriving after dark, as I suspect most visitors who are coming here do as well.

That hotel is butt ugly though and I would never, ever tell anyone to stay there. Most of our business clients stay at the Four Points just off 278 or at the Homewood Suites at 286.