Waterloo Region Connected
General Suburban Updates and Rumours - Printable Version

+- Waterloo Region Connected (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com)
+-- Forum: Land Development and Real Estate (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Suburbs (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Thread: General Suburban Updates and Rumours (/showthread.php?tid=4)

RE: General Suburban Updates and Rumours - ac3r - 07-14-2023

(07-14-2023, 03:55 PM)dtkvictim Wrote: I got dropped off in the parking lot, and naively walked around to the "front" to find the door to get in. Turns out the only way in was from the parking lot.

Hah. I have a feeling the majority have done this. There are so many buildings where the front door isn't actually used. I remember having a doctor that once had his office in a building like this. You had to go from the back of the office tower where the parking was as well since it saved cagers from having to walk for 30 seconds to the front.

RE: General Suburban Updates and Rumours - Acitta - 07-14-2023

(07-14-2023, 03:55 PM)dtkvictim Wrote: I remember interviewing for my first post-university job in a building with this property layout. I got dropped off in the parking lot, and naively walked around to the "front" to find the door to get in. Turns out the only way in was from the parking lot. I wonder if the door out front here will actually be used.

I definitely prefer it visually to a sea of parking out front like everything on Fairway, but it seems like there isn't a good answer if you accommodate driving to a business.

Before I moved to Kitchener, I was living in Richmond Hill. I would ride the bus down Yonge St. passing by a new Indigo bookstore that was under construction. For months, I wondered when it was going to open. Finally, I went there one day and tried to open the only door facing the street, which was locked. Finally, someone opened the door from the inside to inform me that I had to go round the back to get in. It is bizarre to build a retail store with no street facing entrance for pedestrians to enter.

RE: General Suburban Updates and Rumours - neonjoe - 07-15-2023

More new construction in the south west burbs (my end of town)

New foundation poured in the Williamsburg Town Centre’s southernmost block beside the building with Dominos.
Construction fencing up beside the Williamsburg Town Centre Harvey’s
Sign up for a new BMO branch in the Sunfish Shopping Centre (I just realized that this is named after the pond in the Huron Natural Area)
Sales Centre For Heathwood Holmes’s Williamsburg Green is almost complete.
Fischer/Hallman Road widening has resumed in the area where the archaeological dig has been taking place since 2020.

RE: General Suburban Updates and Rumours - ac3r - 07-20-2023

(06-06-2023, 12:41 PM)ac3r Wrote: It would appear the Catholic school board is seeking to build a new school at 50 Thaler Avenue. They already had one there that was demolished sometime after 2015 but there is a new application for the site.

Quote:Official Plan Amendment to facilitate a land swap between the City and Catholic School Board to allow for a city owned park and school on the subject lands.

The previous school was in a poor state, but I wasn't sure if they were going to keep the property or sell it because you could definitely fit a nice little subdivision there with small apartments or townhomes. I guess this answers that, however. I'm sure they're needing to expand soon.

I noticed a sign on the fence of the property here so I got off the bus to take a look (I could have looked it up but...whatever haha). It appears they wish to rebuild St. Patrick School, remove the park to build staff parking and then rebuild the existing park where the old school parking used to be off of Thaler Avenue. Visitor parking would be along River Road and they will build a driveway entrance off of that.

[Image: I4gSQWU.png]

Are there a lot of Catholics around this side of the city or something? WCDSB is also proposing that massive grade 7-12 mega school 5 minutes down the street and there is already an existing Catholic primary school about 1 minute from where the mega school is proposed.

RE: General Suburban Updates and Rumours - KevinL - 07-20-2023

Catholic schools also welcome Orthodox religions; if I'm not mistaken there's a decent Eastern European contingent in that part of the city.

RE: General Suburban Updates and Rumours - ac3r - 07-21-2023

There's a small development proposed around 1018 Hidden Valley Road. 26 single family homes on what is a vacant lot. No idea if it has been approved yet but I just noticed this was an active application.

[Image: MXiZeFH.jpg]

RE: General Suburban Updates and Rumours - Acitta - 08-01-2023

Schneider family donating almost 100 hectares of nearly untouched nature to rare charitable reserve

RE: General Suburban Updates and Rumours - KevinL - 08-01-2023

The scope of the tract, and its many trails, is visible on OSM.

RE: General Suburban Updates and Rumours - clasher - 08-01-2023

There's great cross country skiing there in the winter. Also great for summer walking, just don't bring your dog.

RE: General Suburban Updates and Rumours - ac3r - 08-10-2023

A developer will be demolishing an old 2 floor house at 807 Frederick and replacing it with a low rise residential building that is 3.5 floors and contains 16 units. There are two existing 6 floor apartment buildings (with really nice international style modernist architecture too) that already exist on the property with the house in the middle, which will get knocked down and replaced.

RE: General Suburban Updates and Rumours - KevinL - 08-11-2023

That house does look weirdly out of place when seen from the street, so it makes sense.

RE: General Suburban Updates and Rumours - ac3r - 08-11-2023

This development made me remember it. It looks nice there, but yeah it's kind of unusual for it to be there. Had me wondering if it was maybe a heritage building - perhaps an old farmhouse - but I was too lazy to actually look that up.

I wonder if it is a multi residential unit itself, or if only one person/family lives there. Would be a satirically good place for an evil slumlord to live, no? With their rent paying peasants living nearby, literally surrounded by a stone wall. The number of 1 star reviews make the apartments seem like a bad place to live haha.

RE: General Suburban Updates and Rumours - timio - 08-11-2023

The house had at least two apartments. I knew someone who lived in the upper unit over a decade ago. Don't remember much about it.

RE: General Suburban Updates and Rumours - tomh009 - 08-17-2023

(08-10-2023, 01:23 PM)ac3r Wrote: A developer will be demolishing an old 2 floor house at 807 Frederick and replacing it with a low rise residential building that is 3.5 floors and contains 16 units. There are two existing 6 floor apartment buildings (with really nice international style modernist architecture too) that already exist on the property with the house in the middle, which will get knocked down and replaced.

I assume only the house will be demolished, not the apartment buildings, right?

RE: General Suburban Updates and Rumours - ac3r - 08-18-2023

It would just be the house. The apartments are old but aren't in a state of severe disrepair or anything. Nice mid century architecture on them too.