Waterloo Region Connected
General Suburban Updates and Rumours - Printable Version

+- Waterloo Region Connected (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com)
+-- Forum: Land Development and Real Estate (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Suburbs (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Thread: General Suburban Updates and Rumours (/showthread.php?tid=4)

RE: General Suburban Updates and Rumours - ZEBuilder - 06-05-2023

(06-05-2023, 06:51 PM)WLU Wrote: Anyone know what's under construction on Lackner just south (east) of Victoria St?  There's a tower crane erected there.

Thx

Based on the cities building permit portal there's an 8 floor apartment building going at 50 Otterbein Rd which is just south of Victoria on Lackner, looking at the building permits the foundation permit has been issued and the above ground permit is still under application.

RE: General Suburban Updates and Rumours - ac3r - 06-06-2023

It would appear the Catholic school board is seeking to build a new school at 50 Thaler Avenue. They already had one there that was demolished sometime after 2015 but there is a new application for the site.

Quote:Official Plan Amendment to facilitate a land swap between the City and Catholic School Board to allow for a city owned park and school on the subject lands.

The previous school was in a poor state, but I wasn't sure if they were going to keep the property or sell it because you could definitely fit a nice little subdivision there with small apartments or townhomes. I guess this answers that, however. I'm sure they're needing to expand soon.

RE: General Suburban Updates and Rumours - Acitta - 06-20-2023

The Plan of Subdivision Application and Zoning Bylaw Application for the 1000 New Dundee Rd. (Cache Developments) was passed by the planning committee on Monday.

RE: General Suburban Updates and Rumours - danbrotherston - 06-20-2023

(06-20-2023, 12:38 AM)Acitta Wrote: The Plan of Subdivision Application and Zoning Bylaw Application for the 1000 New Dundee Rd. (Cache Developments) was passed by the planning committee on Monday.

Hmm...

So how many people showed up to complain about trees?

RE: General Suburban Updates and Rumours - Acitta - 06-20-2023

(06-20-2023, 03:46 AM)danbrotherston Wrote:
(06-20-2023, 12:38 AM)Acitta Wrote: The Plan of Subdivision Application and Zoning Bylaw Application for the 1000 New Dundee Rd. (Cache Developments) was passed by the planning committee on Monday.

Hmm...

So how many people showed up to complain about trees?

Nobody. There was some questioning by the committee regarding traffic at the one exit, but staff said it wasn't a problem. The only project to get NIMBY pushback was the one at Highland/Spadina.

RE: General Suburban Updates and Rumours - ac3r - 06-26-2023

WCDSB is proposing a new Catholic school at 20 Woolner Trail at the intersection with Fairway Road North. The project is designed by Svedas Architects, who have designed numerous schools and other institutional buildings throughout Ontario. It would be a middle and high school, educating students Grade 7 to 12.

[Image: 6fXlAW6.jpg]

RE: General Suburban Updates and Rumours - CP42 - 06-26-2023

(06-26-2023, 02:29 PM)ac3r Wrote: WCDSB is proposing a new Catholic school at 20 Woolner Trail at the intersection with Fairway Road North. The project is designed by Svedas Architects, who have designed numerous schools and other institutional buildings throughout Ontario. It would be a middle and high school, educating students Grade 7 to 12.

[Image: 6fXlAW6.jpg]

Would that be the first 7-12 school in the region?  My understanding is all of the public/catholic high schools were solely 9-12.

RE: General Suburban Updates and Rumours - ac3r - 06-26-2023

Could be! I have no idea but yeah I haven't heard of many 7-12 schools. I think the trend lately is to copy the US where they build these giant hyper-schools that can pack in thousands of students into the same building with classes so big that teachers don't even know half the students names.

RE: General Suburban Updates and Rumours - nms - 07-03-2023

We have a long history of copying American trends long after the Americans have concluded that the trend in question is not worth it.

Historically (going back 40+ years), the Catholic system was grades K-6 and grades 7-10 since provincial funding of Catholic education only extended to Grade 10. One benefit of the 7-12 grouping is that the grade 7 and 8 classes can use many of the same advanced classes as the 9 to 12 classes (eg art, shop, home economics, science etc).

RE: General Suburban Updates and Rumours - plam - 07-03-2023

(07-03-2023, 08:08 AM)nms Wrote: We have a long history of copying American trends long after the Americans have concluded that the trend in question is not worth it.

Historically (going back 40+ years), the Catholic system was grades K-6 and grades 7-10 since provincial funding of Catholic education only extended to Grade 10.  One benefit of the 7-12 grouping is that the grade 7 and 8 classes can use many of the same advanced classes as the 9 to 12 classes (eg art, shop, home economics, science etc).

The thing about small schools is that, because they're smaller, you see more variance, and so you should actually expect more small schools to be in top-schools lists (but there should also be more small schools in bottom-schools list). My 7-11 (most schools in Quebec are 7-11) high school was like 600 students. I do think it feels a bit like a factory to have xx,xxx people in a high school.

RE: General Suburban Updates and Rumours - tomh009 - 07-08-2023

(07-03-2023, 05:07 PM)plam Wrote: I do think it feels a bit like a factory to have xx,xxx people in a high school.

And then you get to university ...

[Image: 0914elpe.jpg]

RE: General Suburban Updates and Rumours - plam - 07-09-2023

(07-08-2023, 04:19 PM)tomh009 Wrote:
(07-03-2023, 05:07 PM)plam Wrote: I do think it feels a bit like a factory to have xx,xxx people in a high school.

And then you get to university ...

[Image: 0914elpe.jpg]

I have taken such a picture! Yes, that's why I said high schools. I do try to make a non-factory-experience for my students as much as possible.

RE: General Suburban Updates and Rumours - Bytor - 07-10-2023

Where in Canada do we have tens of thousands of people in the same high school?

RE: General Suburban Updates and Rumours - KevinL - 07-14-2023

The professional building at Westmount and Laurentian is coming along well.

[Image: hw2uvBS.jpg]

RE: General Suburban Updates and Rumours - dtkvictim - 07-14-2023

I remember interviewing for my first post-university job in a building with this property layout. I got dropped off in the parking lot, and naively walked around to the "front" to find the door to get in. Turns out the only way in was from the parking lot. I wonder if the door out front here will actually be used.

I definitely prefer it visually to a sea of parking out front like everything on Fairway, but it seems like there isn't a good answer if you accommodate driving to a business.