Waterloo Region Connected
General Suburban Updates and Rumours - Printable Version

+- Waterloo Region Connected (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com)
+-- Forum: Land Development and Real Estate (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Suburbs (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Thread: General Suburban Updates and Rumours (/showthread.php?tid=4)

RE: General Suburban Updates and Rumours - Acitta - 04-02-2023

(04-01-2023, 12:28 PM)ac3r Wrote:
(03-31-2023, 05:58 PM)dtkvictim Wrote: New City a handful of times, years ago. Of course I could survive off it, but it's not my ideal place to be shopping... I also went to Central Fresh for quite a while, but deciding between the at least weekly 40 minute walk (half of it burdened with groceries, and no backpacks allowed!) or spending the money on transit and getting lucky with bus timing so that it's actually quicker than walking got old really fast.

I called them out on this once. I can understand asking high school children and vagrants to leave their bags, but if I'm going in wearing a suit and happen do have a backpack, I'm obviously not there to shop lift stuff. I get the need for a policy and to make it broad rather than selective, but you should be able to tell who is and who is not likely going to steal. A guy in a suit or a nurse on her lunch break in scrubs is probably not there to shoplift.

(03-29-2023, 02:47 PM)Bytor Wrote: You don't need to go to 10 different stores in one day. The ones I listened each individually have a good variety of types of products.

Stop being so CarBrained™ and thinking that the only way to get groceries is to take your SUV once a month to a ginormous Zehrs and fill the back end with $500 worth of stuff.

People the world over have panniers or baskets on their bikes, and two of those reusable grocery bags (one per pannier or both in the basket) can hold a lot of food. Stop at one store on your way home on Wednesday and in 10-15 minutes you can easily fill those two bags with enough of the basics to feed two people for more than a week. It doesn't take very much planning to the point that it becomes second nature to get eggs and fresh veggies this week, 2x2L milk and fruits next week, and meat and a medium bag of potatoes every 4th week.

There are lots of shops, but far apart and usually very niche. Not everyone has the time to hop between stores. Meat (if I ate it) would be required to be purchased at Central or Marché Leo's. A good loaf of bread and there is no bakery still open? I guess I'm making a few blocks to Full Circle Foods (they sell nice breads, some from Golden Hearth). Oh but I need some chips and I'm in the mood for some plain Lay's. Better backtrack to Shoppers. Oh no I forgot the wine my wife wanted me to get, off to the LCBO now. No sorry, I don't carry change. Phew, all done. God damn the lock on my bike has been cut! Where is my bike! Ugh guess I'm walking to the LRT. It's standing room only as usual, 4 different people are playing music over a Bluetooth speaker and one guy keeps chewing on one of the holding straps.

It has nothing to do with being "car brained". Hypermarkets exist for a reason...convenience. I'm all for supporting small businesses but they alone cannot support high densities and needs of their populations. My home in Toronto is on Fort York Boulevard. There are 5 or 6 general grocery stores all within walking distance there, plus lots of specialty shops. My old place in Berlin was on Karl-Marx-Straße I don't know if you've ever been to Berlin, but its a dense city. I could always walk out my door and have a million large stores - Aldi, Netto, REWE, Penny, a million specialty shops or foreign grocery stores and of course, the Berlin staple, 24 hour spätis.

Shopping in Waterloo Region sucks, car or no car. And downtown needs a proper supermarket ASAP.

I moved to Kitchener 21 years ago primarily because it was easy to get around in by bicycle and transit compared to where I was last living in Richmond Hill. If I wanted good entertainment in Richmond Hill, I had to travel to a long way to downtown Toronto, whereas in Kitchener there was lots of live music only a short distance away. Transit has only improved in the Region. There are lots of supermarkets 2 or 3 km away, and it is easy to get to others farther away on my ebike. The only downside is that the affordable housing I moved here for has become no longer as affordable as it was.

RE: General Suburban Updates and Rumours - ac3r - 04-02-2023

(04-01-2023, 10:17 PM)ijmorlan Wrote:
(04-01-2023, 12:28 PM)ac3r Wrote: I called them out on this once. I can understand asking high school children and vagrants to leave their bags, but if I'm going in wearing a suit and happen do have a backpack, I'm obviously not there to shop lift stuff. I get the need for a policy and to make it broad rather than selective, but you should be able to tell who is and who is not likely going to steal. A guy in a suit or a nurse on her lunch break in scrubs is probably not there to shoplift.

Accusations of racial profiling incoming in 3… 2… 1…

I'm mixed and could have totally pulled that card lol...but no I just said...look, I'll leave my bag but do I look like I'm here to start stuffing dried meat snacks and nuts into my backpack? I had a 2400 jacket from Lemaire on (didn't mention that) so like, yeah, I'm clearly not trying to steal anything. I just needed some bread and a bottle of sprudelwasser.

RE: General Suburban Updates and Rumours - danbrotherston - 04-02-2023

(04-02-2023, 12:41 AM)Acitta Wrote:
(04-01-2023, 12:28 PM)ac3r Wrote: I called them out on this once. I can understand asking high school children and vagrants to leave their bags, but if I'm going in wearing a suit and happen do have a backpack, I'm obviously not there to shop lift stuff. I get the need for a policy and to make it broad rather than selective, but you should be able to tell who is and who is not likely going to steal. A guy in a suit or a nurse on her lunch break in scrubs is probably not there to shoplift.

There are lots of shops, but far apart and usually very niche. Not everyone has the time to hop between stores. Meat (if I ate it) would be required to be purchased at Central or Marché Leo's. A good loaf of bread and there is no bakery still open? I guess I'm making a few blocks to Full Circle Foods (they sell nice breads, some from Golden Hearth). Oh but I need some chips and I'm in the mood for some plain Lay's. Better backtrack to Shoppers. Oh no I forgot the wine my wife wanted me to get, off to the LCBO now. No sorry, I don't carry change. Phew, all done. God damn the lock on my bike has been cut! Where is my bike! Ugh guess I'm walking to the LRT. It's standing room only as usual, 4 different people are playing music over a Bluetooth speaker and one guy keeps chewing on one of the holding straps.

It has nothing to do with being "car brained". Hypermarkets exist for a reason...convenience. I'm all for supporting small businesses but they alone cannot support high densities and needs of their populations. My home in Toronto is on Fort York Boulevard. There are 5 or 6 general grocery stores all within walking distance there, plus lots of specialty shops. My old place in Berlin was on Karl-Marx-Straße I don't know if you've ever been to Berlin, but its a dense city. I could always walk out my door and have a million large stores - Aldi, Netto, REWE, Penny, a million specialty shops or foreign grocery stores and of course, the Berlin staple, 24 hour spätis.

Shopping in Waterloo Region sucks, car or no car. And downtown needs a proper supermarket ASAP.

I moved to Kitchener 21 years ago primarily because it was easy to get around in by bicycle and transit compared to where I was last living in Richmond Hill. If I wanted good entertainment in Richmond Hill, I had to travel to a long way to downtown Toronto, whereas in Kitchener there was lots of live music only a short distance away. Transit has only improved in the Region. There are lots of supermarkets 2 or 3 km away, and it is easy to get to others farther away on my ebike. The only downside is that the affordable housing I moved here for has become no longer as affordable as it was.

I also take exception to the claim that megamarts are motivated by convenience. It might be a nice side effect, although folks here can and do argue about the convenience of massive parking lots and long checkout lines vs. just visiting more stores.

But that's all beside the point. The reason we have megamarts is because centralisation breeds efficiency. Shareholders make more money from larger stores with bakeries, delis, butchers all combined together. This is the way capitalist maximises profits. And yes, also lowers costs. But increasing efficiency and shareholder return is the only motivating factor here.

RE: General Suburban Updates and Rumours - danbrotherston - 04-02-2023

(04-01-2023, 10:29 PM)KevinL Wrote: The backpack rule is almost certainly for the high school across the street - as an alumnus of that very school I know that shoplifting at Central is something of a pastime for some portion of its population.

When I shop there today I come by transit and have my bundle buggy with me, which stays closed in the cart until I check out. I've not received any grief about it.

I remember getting grief for bringing a bag when I was a UW student at places in the plaza that now has T&T...

I remember it making me feel quite unwelcome...it was probably the first time I suffered any form of mild prejudice. It was a formative moment for me...I might not be the same kind of person today without it.

RE: General Suburban Updates and Rumours - Bytor - 04-02-2023

(03-31-2023, 05:58 PM)dtkvictim Wrote: I'm not sure why you always need to blame people for making the decisions that work best for them, or assume that people would make "better" decisions if they were just less ignorant, rather than listen to people to work towards a better system. It's unproductive.

Pointing out that something is doable when somebody says "who wants to do that" or otherwise claims it is impossible is not blaming people for making decisions that work best for them.

Notice that I never say to Ac3r they they couldn't or shouldn't continue shopping at a hypermarket. All I said was that it is possible to get groceries by bike, contrary to their claim that it is not possible.

You claimed that all the stores I listed were specialty shops and reiterated the idea that one must go to multiple store in one trip. I pointed out that it was incorrect to say that those stores were not specialty stores, using the example of the wide variety of what can be found as hasty Market. When you said "Before Marché Leo's…" I pointed out that New City was a full on supermarket.

Again, notice that I never told you you couldn't shop wherever you wanted. All I did was point out the incorrect claim about specialty shops and highlight two specific examples, one being full-on supermarket.

To me, "unproductive" is making blanket claims like Ac3r did, or mischaracterising the shops available to make it seem like the variety is not there like you did.

If y'all don't like having those things called out, don't do 'em.

RE: General Suburban Updates and Rumours - tomh009 - 04-03-2023

(03-30-2023, 03:57 PM)dtkvictim Wrote: Until Marche Leos opened I depended pretty heavily on grocery delivery services and eating out excessive amounts, despite living in the most central location possible. And Marche Leos has failed to deal with my complaints, having sold me spoiled meat at least 4 times, so I'm hesitant to even go back now.

Not buying meat saves me from the risk of spoiled meat. Big Grin

Living in DTK, I also have Valu-Mart, Sobeys and Central Fresh all within a 25-minute walk (if I want exercise) or a 10-minute bike ride.

I am cautiously optimistic that the new BT location under construction will improve our shopping options, too. Smile

RE: General Suburban Updates and Rumours - danbrotherston - 04-04-2023

(04-03-2023, 03:00 PM)tomh009 Wrote:
(03-30-2023, 03:57 PM)dtkvictim Wrote: Until Marche Leos opened I depended pretty heavily on grocery delivery services and eating out excessive amounts, despite living in the most central location possible. And Marche Leos has failed to deal with my complaints, having sold me spoiled meat at least 4 times, so I'm hesitant to even go back now.

Not buying meat saves me from the risk of spoiled meat.  Big Grin

Living in DTK, I also have Valu-Mart, Sobeys and Central Fresh all within a 25-minute walk (if I want exercise) or a 10-minute bike ride.

I am cautiously optimistic that the new BT location under construction will improve our shopping options, too. Smile

Two valumarts, uptown and belfior. There’s also another market going south on King. At this point I’d argue that DTK has more options than most suburbs, even if they lack the large centralized mega mart that one might be used too.

RE: General Suburban Updates and Rumours - neonjoe - 04-04-2023

Belfoire's is no longer a ValuMart its now another Loblaw banner, 'Your Independent Grocert'

RE: General Suburban Updates and Rumours - TMKM94 - 04-04-2023

Eventually all Valumarts will be transitioned into independent according to this article

https://www.notllocal.com/local-news/valu-mart-gets-new-name-updates-in-store-6250345#:~:text=Over%20the%20next%20three%20years,Home%20Hardware%20operates%20across%20Canada.%E2%80%9D

RE: General Suburban Updates and Rumours - danbrotherston - 04-04-2023

Lol...oh man...I feel out of touch Tongue...

It was valumart last time I was there I think.

RE: General Suburban Updates and Rumours - razzie13 - 04-05-2023

I saw this a little while ago and wondered how the change escaped my radar. This appears to be the fourth banner on that store iirc since it's initial opening - with Loblaws and Zehrs names on the building previously.

RE: General Suburban Updates and Rumours - ac3r - 04-23-2023

Not sure where to put this so I'm sticking it in the suburban general thread. The Dumb Ford government is considering selling off public conservation lands to developers so they can pave over them and build suburbs. This unfortunately includes the Laurel Creek Conservation Area.

What’s next as we work together to stop the destruction of farms, forests and wetlands in the Greenbelt and beyond?: https://environmentaldefence.ca/2023/02/23/whats-next-as-we-work-together-to-stop-the-destruction-of-farms-forests-and-wetlands-in-the-greenbelt-and-beyond/

RE: General Suburban Updates and Rumours - nms - 04-23-2023

And don't forget the 'underused school properties' too. They are defacto public green spaces most of the time. Never mind that 400 to 600 kids might need a place to run around and play...toss a few condo towers on each one.

RE: General Suburban Updates and Rumours - cherrypark - 04-24-2023

(04-23-2023, 09:14 PM)nms Wrote: And don't forget the 'underused school properties' too.  They are defacto public green spaces most of the time.  Never mind that 400 to 600 kids might need a place to run around and play...toss a few condo towers on each one.

Precisely. The number of school yards that are parks in the off hours are... well all of them. So many people use the tracks for running, pitches for pickup sports, ball diamonds for practice. But what do you expect from the Minister who attended St. Mike's with a sports stadium more impressive than Waterloo's?

Surely destroying the limited recreation space communities have is worth it over a levy on vacant brownfields and parking lots.

RE: General Suburban Updates and Rumours - SF22 - 04-24-2023

(04-23-2023, 05:19 PM)ac3r Wrote: Not sure where to put this so I'm sticking it in the suburban general thread. The Dumb Ford government is considering selling off public conservation lands to developers so they can pave over them and build suburbs. This unfortunately includes the Laurel Creek Conservation Area.

What’s next as we work together to stop the destruction of farms, forests and wetlands in the Greenbelt and beyond?: https://environmentaldefence.ca/2023/02/23/whats-next-as-we-work-together-to-stop-the-destruction-of-farms-forests-and-wetlands-in-the-greenbelt-and-beyond/

I think we need to mobilize people as much as we can, on this one. I've already started sharing this info with friends and family, and will be telling people to contact their MPPs and keep spreading the word. I'm sharing stuff online but also talking about in in-person, because I know we absolutely find ourselves in an echo chamber with other people who already share our views (this site is a great example of that), and we need to get people who would normally not be too concerned about the changes happening in town to get mad about this.

I also think we might be able to weaponize NIMBYism on this one - pretty much everyone who buys a house that backs onto protected space did so because they knew that land would never be developed. Get those folks riled and point them in the right direction.