Waterloo Region Connected
General Suburban Updates and Rumours - Printable Version

+- Waterloo Region Connected (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com)
+-- Forum: Land Development and Real Estate (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Suburbs (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Thread: General Suburban Updates and Rumours (/showthread.php?tid=4)

RE: General Suburban Updates and Rumours - neonjoe - 02-11-2023

(02-10-2023, 07:03 PM)ac3r Wrote: Another small midrise project in the suburbs. Polocorp is proposing a small townhouse complex at 1385 Bleams Road (at the Fischer-Hallman intersection) with 8 units.

While I'd like to see more midrise projects going up in established neighbourhoods as opposed to distant suburbs, it's still good to see townhouse and similar projects going up around here.

[Image: JumT1MV.png]

Looks nice, but I hope the house on site is preserved. I think it’s actually an old schoolhouse from the former hamlet of Williamsburg.

RE: General Suburban Updates and Rumours - ac3r - 02-11-2023

Yes it's a heritage building and will be preserved. The only thing being demolished on that property is an old shed (or garage, I forget).

RE: General Suburban Updates and Rumours - ac3r - 02-27-2023

The City of Kitchener has a proposal submitted for a 13 floor residential building with a total of 202 units and 6 "live-work" units on the ground floor (as well as underground parking). I'm a bit confused, though. It lists it at 1295 Bleams Road but that address is in Wilmot. When you look that up on Google Maps it points to a farm field. There is also a 1295 Bleams Road East and 1295 Bleams Road West and that's in the middle of a single family home neighbourhood in New Hamburg. I looked up current active applications on the Township of Wilmot website but they don't have anything there. So this is a bit of a mystery. Perhaps it was just a typo.

Also I never realized how confusing Bleams Road is. It starts off of Manitou Drive continuing over to Trussler Road where it ends. Except it doesn't actually end, it continues but only once you go north on Trussler until you hit Ottawa Street at which point it becomes Bleams again if you go westbound. It continues all the way into the outskirts of New Hamburg where it suddenly goes north and ends at Highway 8. But! That's not actually the end of Bleams. On the other side of the Nith River you find Bleams Road East - all 100 meters of it. And then there is Bleams Road West which is about 280 meters until it hits a dead end at the banks of the river. That's not all, though. Across the river exists Bleams Crescent.

Extremely on brand confusion that only exists in Waterloo Region. :'P It would have been much simpler to just rename streets as they became disconnected over the years.

[Image: KSLrq5J.png]

[Image: oqu35bZ.png]

RE: General Suburban Updates and Rumours - ZEBuilder - 02-27-2023

(02-27-2023, 07:19 PM)ac3r Wrote: The City of Kitchener has a proposal submitted for a 13 floor residential building with a total of 202 units and 6 "live-work" units on the ground floor (as well as underground parking). I'm a bit confused, though. It lists it at 1295 Bleams Road but that address is in Wilmot. When you look that up on Google Maps it points to a farm field. There is also a 1295 Bleams Road East and 1295 Bleams Road West and that's in the middle of a single family home neighbourhood in New Hamburg. I looked up current active applications on the Township of Wilmot website but they don't have anything there. So this is a bit of a mystery. Perhaps it was just a typo.

Looking at the cities mapping application 1295 Bleams Road is the south east corner of Fischer Hallman and Bleams (Sunfish plaza corner). When they were originally getting zoning approval for the plaza (2018) they were only planning on putting a 6 floor building in this corner. The side closest to the Huron natural area was supposed to have 12 floor buildings so whenever those get built they might be taller then proposed as well.

This whole corner of Fischerhallman and Bleams is turning into a really high density location, you have 1295 Bleams at 13 floors, 1200 Fischer Hallman (other side of Bleams from 1295 Bleams) which is proposed at 34 floors, then 1198 Fischer Hallman and 1274 Bleams is proposed to contain 2 14 floor buildings as well as 96 stacked townhouse units and 51 3 storey townhouse units.

RE: General Suburban Updates and Rumours - neonjoe - 02-27-2023

(02-27-2023, 09:26 PM)ZEBuilder Wrote:
(02-27-2023, 07:19 PM)ac3r Wrote: The City of Kitchener has a proposal submitted for a 13 floor residential building with a total of 202 units and 6 "live-work" units on the ground floor (as well as underground parking). I'm a bit confused, though. It lists it at 1295 Bleams Road but that address is in Wilmot. When you look that up on Google Maps it points to a farm field. There is also a 1295 Bleams Road East and 1295 Bleams Road West and that's in the middle of a single family home neighbourhood in New Hamburg. I looked up current active applications on the Township of Wilmot website but they don't have anything there. So this is a bit of a mystery. Perhaps it was just a typo.

Looking at the cities mapping application 1295 Bleams Road is the south east corner of Fischer Hallman and Bleams (Sunfish plaza corner). When they were originally getting zoning approval for the plaza (2018) they were only planning on putting a 6 floor building in this corner. The side closest to the Huron natural area was supposed to have 12 floor buildings so whenever those get built they might be taller then proposed as well.

This whole corner of Fischerhallman and Bleams is turning into a really high density location, you have 1295 Bleams at 13 floors, 1200 Fischer Hallman (other side of Bleams from 1295 Bleams) which is proposed at 34 floors, then 1198 Fischer Hallman and 1274 Bleams is proposed to contain 2 14 floor buildings as well as 96 stacked townhouse units and 51 3 storey townhouse units.
This is correct.
Google Maps is slow to update addresses of properties that have more recently received street addresses.

RE: General Suburban Updates and Rumours - ac3r - 02-28-2023

Well that makes more sense! I have most of these resources bookmarked but don't check and just hope mainstream results are correct.

Well hey at least we're densifying these parts of our suburbs more and more.

RE: General Suburban Updates and Rumours - sluismcfc - 02-28-2023

(02-28-2023, 12:47 AM)ac3r Wrote: Well that makes more sense! I have most of these resources bookmarked but don't check and just hope mainstream results are correct.

Do you happen to have a link to any submission documents for the Bleams project?

RE: General Suburban Updates and Rumours - ZEBuilder - 02-28-2023

(02-28-2023, 09:19 AM)sluismcfc Wrote:
(02-28-2023, 12:47 AM)ac3r Wrote: Well that makes more sense! I have most of these resources bookmarked but don't check and just hope mainstream results are correct.

Do you happen to have a link to any submission documents for the Bleams project?

Typically the city puts documents on their planning application website (Kitchener Planning Applications) currently none of the projects at this corner are posted, the 2 14 floor buildings at 1198 Fischerhallman have a heritage impact assessment (1198 HIA), all planning applications are added to this file before they appear anywhere else, all it says is the description that ac3r has posted (Application Status).

RE: General Suburban Updates and Rumours - sluismcfc - 02-28-2023

(02-28-2023, 11:29 AM)ZEBuilder Wrote:
(02-28-2023, 09:19 AM)sluismcfc Wrote: Do you happen to have a link to any submission documents for the Bleams project?

Typically the city puts documents on their planning application website (Kitchener Planning Applications) currently none of the projects at this corner are posted, the 2 14 floor buildings at 1198 Fischerhallman have a heritage impact assessment (1198 HIA), all planning applications are added to this file before they appear anywhere else, all it says is the description that ac3r has posted (Application Status).

Cheers

RE: General Suburban Updates and Rumours - tomh009 - 02-28-2023

(02-27-2023, 07:19 PM)ac3r Wrote: Also I never realized how confusing Bleams Road is. It starts off of Manitou Drive continuing over to Trussler Road where it ends. (...)

It sure would be nice to do something with that gravel pit (?), whether it were a park or housing.

RE: General Suburban Updates and Rumours - ZEBuilder - 02-28-2023

(02-28-2023, 10:56 PM)tomh009 Wrote:
(02-27-2023, 07:19 PM)ac3r Wrote: Also I never realized how confusing Bleams Road is. It starts off of Manitou Drive continuing over to Trussler Road where it ends. (...)

It sure would be nice to do something with that gravel pit (?), whether it were a park or housing.

All along Bleams there are approved subdivisions. At the Fischer Hallman end of Bleams they are currently building a bunch of houses as part of the Mattamy "wildflower-crossing development", within that subdivision is where the KPL is planning their new Southwest Kitchener Branch. The gravel pit subdivision was approved Aug 22 2022, all the property is owned by "Kitchener Green Developments Inc". Here is the subdivision plan for the gravel pit.     

RE: General Suburban Updates and Rumours - mastermind - 03-01-2023

Also I never realized how confusing Bleams Road is. It starts off of Manitou Drive continuing over to Trussler Road where it ends. Except it doesn't actually end, it continues but only once you go north on Trussler until you hit Ottawa Street at which point it becomes Bleams again if you go westbound. It continues all the way into the outskirts of New Hamburg where it suddenly goes north and ends at Highway 8. But! That's not actually the end of Bleams. On the other side of the Nith River you find Bleams Road East - all 100 meters of it. And then there is Bleams Road West which is about 280 meters until it hits a dead end at the banks of the river. That's not all, though. Across the river exists Bleams Crescent.

Extremely on brand confusion that only exists in Waterloo Region. :'P It would have been much simpler to just rename streets as they became disconnected over the years.

[Image: oqu35bZ.png]

Also take a look at the other end of Bleams.  It ends at Manitou... but not for long.  Anyone know what they're calling the new road beyond there?  Maybe they should rename Goodrich and Hidden Valley to Bleams, and then we can keep going until someday Bleams goes all the way to Hespeler!  lol

RE: General Suburban Updates and Rumours - Acitta - 03-01-2023

(03-01-2023, 12:44 PM)mastermind Wrote: Also take a look at the other end of Bleams.  It ends at Manitou... but not for long.  Anyone know what they're calling the new road beyond there?  Maybe they should rename Goodrich and Hidden Valley to Bleams, and then we can keep going until someday Bleams goes all the way to Hespeler!  lol

That is the River Road extension.

RE: General Suburban Updates and Rumours - neonjoe - 03-01-2023

(03-01-2023, 02:30 PM)Acitta Wrote:
(03-01-2023, 12:44 PM)mastermind Wrote: Also take a look at the other end of Bleams.  It ends at Manitou... but not for long.  Anyone know what they're calling the new road beyond there?  Maybe they should rename Goodrich and Hidden Valley to Bleams, and then we can keep going until someday Bleams goes all the way to Hespeler!  lol

That is the River Road extension.
Sometimes in cases like this I feel that the Regional Road numbers were made more prominent. But they also make no sense!

RE: General Suburban Updates and Rumours - Acitta - 03-03-2023

Neighbourhood Meeting - Proposed Development (1385 Bleams Road)

Thursday, March 9, 2023 7:00 p.m. - 8:30 p.m.
Virtual Zoom Meeting
The City of Kitchener has received an application to amend the City’s Zoning By-law to facilitate a proposal to create a new lot for the development of 8 townhomes while retaining a lot for the existing heritage home.