Waterloo Region Connected
General Suburban Updates and Rumours - Printable Version

+- Waterloo Region Connected (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com)
+-- Forum: Land Development and Real Estate (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Suburbs (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Thread: General Suburban Updates and Rumours (/showthread.php?tid=4)

RE: General Suburban Updates and Rumours - ac3r - 07-13-2021

Keeping some of the walls and adding a plaque or two would be a good option. They could then get rid of the rest and expand the park by adding some seating, tables, maybe a pavilion for rainy days. It's a popular spot for people to go park their car, fish or walk along the river.

RE: General Suburban Updates and Rumours - jamincan - 07-13-2021

Wasn't it being used as storage for the Rowing Club? That's useful, at least.

RE: General Suburban Updates and Rumours - nms - 07-13-2021

It was, but the bunker was no longer providing storage that was secure from the elements that would damage anything that was stored there long-term.

RE: General Suburban Updates and Rumours - CP42 - 09-21-2021

Any word on a development at Northfield and Kraus in Waterloo (across from the Keg)?
A sizeable portion of the parking lot of the existing apartment building that is fairly set back from the road is fenced off with construction signage. Seems a bit aggressive just to work on the parking lot, but I'm not sure.
I believe the signs on the fence were for Melloul Blamey Construction.

RE: General Suburban Updates and Rumours - LesPio - 09-23-2021

(09-21-2021, 06:31 PM)CP42 Wrote: Any word on a development at Northfield and Kraus in Waterloo (across from the Keg)?
A sizeable portion of the parking lot of the existing apartment building that is fairly set back from the road is fenced off with construction signage. Seems a bit aggressive just to work on the parking lot, but I'm not sure.
9-storeys, 237 bedrooms coming to prominent Northfield Drive corner near Conestoga Mall in Waterloo

https://www.waterloochronicle.ca/news-story/10483096-9-storeys-237-bedrooms-coming-to-prominent-northfield-drive-corner-near-conestoga-mall-in-waterloo/

Construction fencing is up to build a new nine-storey apartment building at the southeast corner of Northfield Drive East and Kraus Drive in Waterloo, near Conestoga Mall.
The development that will contain 161 units and 237 bedrooms will be situated on what is now a large, underused parking lot across the street from the plaza with The Keg and Burger King on the north side of Northfield.
The new building will be known as 611 Davenport Rd., on property including two existing six-storey apartment buildings — 605 and 609 Davenport Rd. — that are controlled by the same developer, Avila Investments Ltd.

RE: General Suburban Updates and Rumours - CP42 - 09-23-2021

(09-23-2021, 03:53 PM)LesPio Wrote:
(09-21-2021, 06:31 PM)CP42 Wrote: Any word on a development at Northfield and Kraus in Waterloo (across from the Keg)?
9-storeys, 237 bedrooms coming to prominent Northfield Drive corner near Conestoga Mall in Waterloo

https://www.waterloochronicle.ca/news-story/10483096-9-storeys-237-bedrooms-coming-to-prominent-northfield-drive-corner-near-conestoga-mall-in-waterloo/

Construction fencing is up to build a new nine-storey apartment building at the southeast corner of Northfield Drive East and Kraus Drive in Waterloo, near Conestoga Mall.
The development that will contain 161 units and 237 bedrooms will be situated on what is now a large, underused parking lot across the street from the plaza with The Keg and Burger King on the north side of Northfield.
The new building will be known as 611 Davenport Rd., on property including two existing six-storey apartment buildings — 605 and 609 Davenport Rd. — that are controlled by the same developer, Avila Investments Ltd.
Great find! Thank you!

RE: General Suburban Updates and Rumours - nms - 09-25-2021

The things that you learn from reading the community paper.   Smile

I've been impressed that the "What's going on here" feature highlights projects that would otherwise fall under people's radars (but often not the WRConnected community!)

RE: General Suburban Updates and Rumours - Acitta - 09-26-2021

The empty lot at the corner of Victoria and Lackner is fenced off and has a coupe of excavators parked there. I took this picture a week ago.    

RE: General Suburban Updates and Rumours - Coke6pk - 09-27-2021

(09-26-2021, 01:13 PM)Acitta Wrote: The empty lot at the corner of Victoria and Lackner is fenced off and has a coupe of excavators parked there. I took this picture a week ago.

Do we know what is planned for this spot?

Coke

RE: General Suburban Updates and Rumours - Rainrider22 - 09-27-2021

I was wondering too. The site didn't look to be very large until I saw the fencing up around it. It has potential to be a fairly large project.

RE: General Suburban Updates and Rumours - tomh009 - 09-27-2021

Search and you will find! Circle K (part of the Mac's corporate family) convenience store and car wash -- and presumably a gas station as well. Not approved yet.

RE: General Suburban Updates and Rumours - timio - 10-16-2021

There's a sign up advertising grocery based commercial plaza at the southeast corner of Huron/Fischer-Hallman. Standard "retail opportunities" sign with no specifics, but good to see that the intent is to bring another grocery store to this end of town. Even with the new Food Basics at Bleams, it's still pretty sparse.

RE: General Suburban Updates and Rumours - neonjoe - 10-16-2021

(10-16-2021, 01:29 PM)timio Wrote: There's a sign up advertising grocery based commercial plaza at the southeast corner of Huron/Fischer-Hallman. Standard "retail opportunities" sign with no specifics, but good to see that the intent is to bring another grocery store to this end of town. Even with the new Food Basics at Bleams, it's still pretty sparse.
South-West Kitchener has the best Grocery Store selection of all the City within a 5-10 minute car drive you have Sobeys, Walmart, Freshco, No Frills, Zehrs and soon Food Basics. Needless to say its not walking distance but its a LOT better than the selection near South-East Kitchener.
But yeah living in this area I'm holding out for something that we don't have in the area like a Longos (now that they are Sobeys owned) 
Also of note there is a 5 storey apartment complex planned for the area behind teppermans. More density will help bring more services.

RE: General Suburban Updates and Rumours - Joedelay Highhoe - 10-20-2021

Does anybody have any information about the development happening in Hespeler in the big empty lot at the Groh and Goebel? I've heard it's going to be a residential complex with multiple towers.

RE: General Suburban Updates and Rumours - ac3r - 10-20-2021

(10-20-2021, 11:57 AM)Joedelay Highhoe Wrote: Does anybody have any information about the development happening in Hespeler in the big empty lot at the Groh and Goebel? I've heard it's going to be a residential complex with multiple towers.

I don't see any approved or proposed applications on the City of Cambridge website for Groh/Goebel/Queen so I'm not too sure.

Semi-related, though, there appears to be a recent proposal (January 2021) for 211-215 Queen Street West which is just up the street. It's a proposal to redevelop the old textile factory into a residential and retail complex using the existing factory structures. It actually looks pretty good: https://www.cambridge.ca/en/build-invest-grow/resources/OR0121---211-215-Queen-St-W/Queen-St.-Urban-Design-Brief---Updated-March-8-2021---Reduced.pdf