Waterloo Region Connected
General Suburban Updates and Rumours - Printable Version

+- Waterloo Region Connected (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com)
+-- Forum: Land Development and Real Estate (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Suburbs (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Thread: General Suburban Updates and Rumours (/showthread.php?tid=4)

RE: General Suburban Updates and Rumours - robdrimmie - 06-11-2021

(06-10-2021, 08:21 PM)ZEBuilder Wrote: Next door to it on Strasburg the apartment building has lots of work occuring, the entire parking lot has been ripped up and there's now a large hole and a crane on site but I can't seem to find anything on what is occuring there.

I live in the neighbourhood, and my wife heard from a friend of hers who knows someone in the building (so this is at least three degrees of hearsay and requires several grains of salt, but I will say that the Alpine school parent rumour mill seems to have a decent success rate) who said that all the parking is being completely renovated. All at the same time apparently, leaving the resident without a place to park for a lengthy period.

RE: General Suburban Updates and Rumours - ZEBuilder - 06-11-2021

(06-11-2021, 08:58 AM)robdrimmie Wrote: I live in the neighbourhood, and my wife heard from a friend of hers who knows someone in the building (so this is at least three degrees of hearsay and requires several grains of salt, but I will say that the Alpine school parent rumour mill seems to have a decent success rate) who said that all the parking is being completely renovated. All at the same time apparently, leaving the resident without a place to park for a lengthy period.

The entire parking lot is definitely ripped up so that would make sense but why would they need a mobile crane to redo the parking lot? The hole they had dug when I was by was rather deep and much deeper then required to redo the subbase for a parking lot which is why I was wondering if something else was going on.

RE: General Suburban Updates and Rumours - robdrimmie - 06-11-2021

(06-11-2021, 09:11 AM)ZEBuilder Wrote:
(06-11-2021, 08:58 AM)robdrimmie Wrote: I live in the neighbourhood, and my wife heard from a friend of hers who knows someone in the building (so this is at least three degrees of hearsay and requires several grains of salt, but I will say that the Alpine school parent rumour mill seems to have a decent success rate) who said that all the parking is being completely renovated. All at the same time apparently, leaving the resident without a place to park for a lengthy period.

The entire parking lot is definitely ripped up so that would make sense but why would they need a mobile crane to redo the parking lot? The hole they had dug when I was by was rather deep and much deeper then required to redo the subbase for a parking lot which is why I was wondering if something else was going on.

I just asked her about it again, at least taking my mediocre memory out of the chain, and I had forgotten that they are adding two floors so they need to do a bunch of work on the foundation too.

RE: General Suburban Updates and Rumours - ijmorlan - 06-11-2021

(06-10-2021, 09:04 PM)Bytor Wrote: "Fischer-Hallman", BTW. Two hyphenated words, not one. :-)

Although at one time (not sure if it’s still that way), there was at least one road sign which said “Fischer/Hallman”.

And the reason it is called that is because it was built by joining Fischer Road with Hallman Road to make a single continuous route.

RE: General Suburban Updates and Rumours - ZEBuilder - 06-11-2021

(06-11-2021, 09:27 AM)robdrimmie Wrote:
(06-11-2021, 09:11 AM)ZEBuilder Wrote: The entire parking lot is definitely ripped up so that would make sense but why would they need a mobile crane to redo the parking lot? The hole they had dug when I was by was rather deep and much deeper then required to redo the subbase for a parking lot which is why I was wondering if something else was going on.

I just asked her about it again, at least taking my mediocre memory out of the chain, and I had forgotten that they are adding two floors so they need to do a bunch of work on the foundation too.

The 3 floor apartment building next door (581 Strasburg) is the one that they're doing the 2 floor addition on. The building with the large hole and mobile crane is 593 Strasburg which is next door to the building that is getting the 2 floor addition, it appears at least based on the cities mapping application that the property may be getting severed into 2 lots with 595 Strasburg being created as thats a lot number which has just appeared in the last day which could explain something. Then next door to that is 599 Strasburg which is the empty lot that now has some activity and a building permit.

RE: General Suburban Updates and Rumours - KevinL - 06-13-2021

595 will be a new building that contains a parking garage for itself and 593, and more apartments above that. Not sure how many floors. I think the property on 599 is being used as a staging area for that work as opposed to developing something there, but I'm not certain.

RE: General Suburban Updates and Rumours - bgb_ca - 06-22-2021

There is apparently a row of townhouses at Huron/fisher hallman that were under construction which burned down this evening.

edit: CTV Link https://kitchener.ctvnews.ca/crews-battle-massive-fire-at-construction-site-near-huron-and-fischer-hallman-roads-1.5481720

RE: General Suburban Updates and Rumours - ZEBuilder - 06-23-2021

(06-13-2021, 09:16 PM)KevinL Wrote: 595 will be a new building that contains a parking garage for itself and 593, and more apartments above that. Not sure how many floors. I think the property on 599 is being used as a staging area for that work as opposed to developing something there, but I'm not certain.

The permit for the new building (595 Strasburg) is now in the system, it says that it will be a 9 floor apartment building with 2 floors of underground parking which explains why the hole is so deep. In the building there will be a total of 107 units created.

RE: General Suburban Updates and Rumours - KevinL - 07-01-2021

595 Strasburg

(593 is the neighbouring highrise)

[Image: m72XNZY.jpg]

[Image: nvnzH6v.jpg]

[Image: CVbUtja.jpg]

[Image: t7N8OPZ.jpg]

[Image: IBOfW4m.jpg]

RE: General Suburban Updates and Rumours - KevinL - 07-01-2021

The neighbouring vacant property at 599 has had a bit of work too, and is currently fenced off.

[Image: n7rruCf.jpg]

RE: General Suburban Updates and Rumours - ac3r - 07-12-2021

EngageWR is running a survey to get public input on what could be done with the nuclear bunker around Freeport Bridge: https://www.engagewr.ca/the-regions-nuclear-bunker

Tl;dr: it would cost a ton of money to repair and maintain...for no real reason. They want your input on how and why it could be saved, but don't seem to be very interested in why it should not be saved. Of all things we could spend our money on, this should not be it.

RE: General Suburban Updates and Rumours - danbrotherston - 07-12-2021

(07-12-2021, 04:54 PM)ac3r Wrote: EngageWR is running a survey to get public input on what could be done with the nuclear bunker around Freeport Bridge: https://www.engagewr.ca/the-regions-nuclear-bunker

Tl;dr: it would cost a ton of money to repair and maintain...for no real reason. They want your input on how and why it could be saved, but don't seem to be very interested in why it should not be saved. Of all things we could spend our money on, this should not be it.

Yeah, that one really ticks me off. I have no idea why people want it.

RE: General Suburban Updates and Rumours - clasher - 07-12-2021

Waste of at least a million bucks to save it, probably a lot to try and build something useful that people would actually use there. I don't understand what people would want to do in a bunker anyway, have meetings? It'd be hard to make any kind of museum out of it... it'd be like a wish.com version of the Diefenbunker. I'd say just demo the building and plant some more trees there.

RE: General Suburban Updates and Rumours - KevinL - 07-12-2021

Fill it in and seal the doors, should be the cheapest option.

RE: General Suburban Updates and Rumours - cherrypark - 07-13-2021

Should demolish the roof and interior walls and just make some open-air park space with a few plaques about the heritage. No actual benefit to restore the enclosed the bunk as a museum or the like that I can think of.