Waterloo Region Connected
General Suburban Updates and Rumours - Printable Version

+- Waterloo Region Connected (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com)
+-- Forum: Land Development and Real Estate (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Suburbs (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Thread: General Suburban Updates and Rumours (/showthread.php?tid=4)

RE: General Suburban Updates and Rumours - white_brian - 09-11-2020

I wouldn't be surprised to see a tech office open here as they announced the opening of 8 (or something like that) in the states a couple of weeks ago.
Also yesterday they (guest speaker) were talking (on 570NEWS With Mioe Farwell) about the potential of a depot at the airport due to the proximity to the 401and the fulfillment centers and warehouses. The availability of space to create a hub and infrastructure while having the ability of international arrivals and departures

RE: General Suburban Updates and Rumours - TMKM94 - 09-11-2020

I don't know about any proposals, but I saw a construction machine digging and plowing the backyard of 231 Lawrence Ave, (the long abandoned house between the trail and townhouses) I work in the area so I can keep updates.

RE: General Suburban Updates and Rumours - jamincan - 09-27-2020

Does anyone know where I might find a plan of subdivision for the development that's going in southeast of Lackner and Victoria? I'm curious what the future trail network is going to look like through that area.

As an aside, I stumbled across what is possibly the apotheosis of suburban housing along Keewatin near there. I've only biked by in the past and somehow tuned out the horror: https://www.google.ca/maps/@43.4634516,-80.4312249,3a,75y,13.43h,94t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sG7NrY05tg8HjmECDgfkMJQ!2e0!6s%2F%2Fgeo0.ggpht.com%2Fcbk%3Fpanoid%3DG7NrY05tg8HjmECDgfkMJQ%26output%3Dthumbnail%26cb_client%3Dmaps_sv.tactile.gps%26thumb%3D2%26w%3D203%26h%3D100%26yaw%3D318.1736%26pitch%3D0%26thumbfov%3D100!7i16384!8i8192

RE: General Suburban Updates and Rumours - danbrotherston - 09-27-2020

(09-27-2020, 11:57 AM)jamincan Wrote: Does anyone know where I might find a plan of subdivision for the development that's going in southeast of Lackner and Victoria? I'm curious what the future trail network is going to look like through that area.

As an aside, I stumbled across what is possibly the apotheosis of suburban housing along Keewatin near there. I've only biked by in the past and somehow tuned out the horror: https://www.google.ca/maps/@43.4634516,-80.4312249,3a,75y,13.43h,94t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sG7NrY05tg8HjmECDgfkMJQ!2e0!6s%2F%2Fgeo0.ggpht.com%2Fcbk%3Fpanoid%3DG7NrY05tg8HjmECDgfkMJQ%26output%3Dthumbnail%26cb_client%3Dmaps_sv.tactile.gps%26thumb%3D2%26w%3D203%26h%3D100%26yaw%3D318.1736%26pitch%3D0%26thumbfov%3D100!7i16384!8i8192

Yeah, I remember looking at a house like that once, I remember thinking...I didn't want to buy only a garage.

It really does illuminate our housing priorities.

As for the trail network, I'm not certain, do you know what stage the development is at. I remember in Waterloo developments in the north of the city had to submit a plan for city review, I assume Kitchener has something similar, you might be able to find it if you can tolerate the laserfiche system long enough.

RE: General Suburban Updates and Rumours - ijmorlan - 09-27-2020

(09-27-2020, 11:57 AM)jamincan Wrote: As an aside, I stumbled across what is possibly the apotheosis of suburban housing along Keewatin near there. I've only biked by in the past and somehow tuned out the horror: https://www.google.ca/maps/@43.4634516,-80.4312249,3a,75y,13.43h,94t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sG7NrY05tg8HjmECDgfkMJQ!2e0!6s%2F%2Fgeo0.ggpht.com%2Fcbk%3Fpanoid%3DG7NrY05tg8HjmECDgfkMJQ%26output%3Dthumbnail%26cb_client%3Dmaps_sv.tactile.gps%26thumb%3D2%26w%3D203%26h%3D100%26yaw%3D318.1736%26pitch%3D0%26thumbfov%3D100!7i16384!8i8192

That’s really hideous. In addition to the general bad looks of it, though, consider the waste of space: the space between the houses is pretty much entirely wasted. The same houses could be put on significantly less land and with a significant reduction in heating expense by just sliding them all together, in essence making townhouses. Then at the end of the block there would be either a nice park or more houses. Collect all the useless bits of space together and either let everybody use the space, or build more and share the common expenses between more people.

(09-27-2020, 12:37 PM)ijmorlan Wrote:
(09-27-2020, 11:57 AM)jamincan Wrote: As an aside, I stumbled across what is possibly the apotheosis of suburban housing along Keewatin near there. I've only biked by in the past and somehow tuned out the horror: https://www.google.ca/maps/@43.4634516,-80.4312249,3a,75y,13.43h,94t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sG7NrY05tg8HjmECDgfkMJQ!2e0!6s%2F%2Fgeo0.ggpht.com%2Fcbk%3Fpanoid%3DG7NrY05tg8HjmECDgfkMJQ%26output%3Dthumbnail%26cb_client%3Dmaps_sv.tactile.gps%26thumb%3D2%26w%3D203%26h%3D100%26yaw%3D318.1736%26pitch%3D0%26thumbfov%3D100!7i16384!8i8192

That’s really hideous. In addition to the general bad looks of it, though, consider the waste of space: the space between the houses is pretty much entirely wasted. The same houses could be put on significantly less land and with a significant reduction in heating expense by just sliding them all together, in essence making townhouses. Then at the end of the block there would be either a nice park or more houses. Collect all the useless bits of space together and either let everybody use the space, or build more and share the common expenses between more people.

But only poors live in townhomes. [/sardonic]

RE: General Suburban Updates and Rumours - Rainrider22 - 09-27-2020

I live in this area. The houses on that side of the street are built into the hill. I personally wouldn't buy one of those homes but let me enlighten you to look past your judgment of the development. First, these homes sell within a week of posting well over list. But more importantly this is a really nice family area. People say hi to each other when out for a walk. They host neighborhood picnics during non covid times. For the most part people take pride in their ownership. There is sense of community here. So before you start slamming it as an ugly example of urbanism, try and remember it is home to many proud families that actually like it.....

RE: General Suburban Updates and Rumours - jamincan - 09-27-2020

To be clear, I wasn't slamming the neighbourhood. The location there backing onto Blue Spring Wood would be wonderful. That said, the unfortunate consequence of the two car garage on the front along with being built into a hill is that the house is effectively a giant tube with minimal windows on either end. A single car garage would at least balance out the loss of windows at the back with more at the front.

RE: General Suburban Updates and Rumours - ijmorlan - 09-27-2020

(09-27-2020, 01:15 PM)Rainrider22 Wrote: I live in this area.  The houses on that side of the street are built into the hill.  I personally wouldn't buy one of those homes but let me enlighten you to look past your judgment of the development.  First, these homes sell within a week of posting well over list.  But more importantly this is a really nice family area.  People say hi to each other when out for a walk.  They host neighborhood picnics during non covid times. For the most part people take pride in their ownership.  There is sense of community here. So before you start slamming it as an ugly example of urbanism, try and remember it is home to many proud  families that actually like it.....

That’s good to hear. What I would say is it proves that good communities can exist even in areas with terrible architecture. Just for clarity, I was criticizing only the architecture, not the people; and not even the people for choosing to live there. As someone with a built-in heated garage with a garage door opener, I absolutely love having it, so I would effectively be partially criticizing myself. But there are places with that same convenience that have much better appearance, and there are places with detached homes where the spaces between the houses have some use.

(09-27-2020, 01:15 PM)Rainrider22 Wrote: I live in this area.  The houses on that side of the street are built into the hill.  I personally wouldn't buy one of those homes but let me enlighten you to look past your judgment of the development.  First, these homes sell within a week of posting well over list.  But more importantly this is a really nice family area.  People say hi to each other when out for a walk.  They host neighborhood picnics during non covid times. For the most part people take pride in their ownership.  There is sense of community here. So before you start slamming it as an ugly example of urbanism, try and remember it is home to many proud  families that actually like it.....

Something having bad traits (like a house being entirely garage in the front) does not mean something is all bad, or that nothing good can be there.

But also, something having good, does not make criticisms of the bad parts any less valid.

Nobody anywhere said that these homes weren't selling, or that people living there weren't good and friendly people, or that it wasn't a community. Nobody even mentioned any aspects like that. So I question why you take offense to it?

RE: General Suburban Updates and Rumours - dtkvictim - 09-27-2020

(09-27-2020, 12:37 PM)ijmorlan Wrote:

It is undoubtedly hideous. But I think it's a stretch to call the space between the homes useless. While being a hill certainly complicates things for some uses, I think a kid would no problem enjoying a space like that (and without having to be supervised like if they were off property). Hell, I was just back in a rural area for the past while, and it's made me remember just how much I would kill for even 10sqft of private outdoor space (even if it was a hill!). I have no problem sharing space with people on things like our trail system, but I'm a person who's never truly been able to enjoy a place like Victoria park, specifically because I'm sharing it with other people.

Not to mention, shared walls can be a nightmare. I don't know if construction is different on a townhouse vs a townhouse style condo? I'm also curious how maintenance works in that case.

It really is ugly though...

RE: General Suburban Updates and Rumours - tomh009 - 09-27-2020

Freehold (non-condo) townhouses are also possible.

The first thing the photo reminded me of was the suburb in Edward Scissorhands ..

(09-27-2020, 08:28 PM)tomh009 Wrote: Freehold (non-condo) townhouses are also possible.

The first thing the photo reminded me of was the suburb in Edward Scissorhands ..

They certainly are...but I do find them a bit....silly. There are common elements, people have to co-operate to manage them, without having a framework for that, things get....well...silly. I remember asking my parents when I was young why that house had three different colour rooves.

It is a shame though...that people cannot simply co-operate and do common sense things together, like replacing a failing roof on a shared building, without a legal framework.

(09-27-2020, 07:53 PM)dtkvictim Wrote:
(09-27-2020, 12:37 PM)ijmorlan Wrote: That’s really hideous. In addition to the general bad looks of it, though, consider the waste of space: the space between the houses is pretty much entirely wasted. The same houses could be put on significantly less land and with a significant reduction in heating expense by just sliding them all together, in essence making townhouses. Then at the end of the block there would be either a nice park or more houses. Collect all the useless bits of space together and either let everybody use the space, or build more and share the common expenses between more people.

It is undoubtedly hideous. But I think it's a stretch to call the space between the homes useless. While being a hill certainly complicates things for some uses, I think a kid would no problem enjoying a space like that (and without having to be supervised like if they were off property). Hell, I was just back in a rural area for the past while, and it's made me remember just how much I would kill for even 10sqft of private outdoor space (even if it was a hill!). I have no problem sharing space with people on things like our trail system, but I'm a person who's never truly been able to enjoy a place like Victoria park, specifically because I'm sharing it with other people.

Not to mention, shared walls can be a nightmare. I don't know if construction is different on a townhouse vs a townhouse style condo? I'm also curious how maintenance works in that case.

Even if the frontyard is completely filled with cars, I assume these homes have back yards, I don't think the suggestion was to have no personal space at all. And I'm not saying that no side yards are ever useful. But the marginal gains of having this space between the homes is...I would agree, very small. Making the homes bigger, if nothing else, would probably provide far more value. Doubly so because the biggest benefit to detached housing (more window space) is not even realized...again, because they are too close.

RE: General Suburban Updates and Rumours - dtkvictim - 09-27-2020

(09-27-2020, 08:47 PM)danbrotherston Wrote:
(09-27-2020, 07:53 PM)dtkvictim Wrote: It is undoubtedly hideous. But I think it's a stretch to call the space between the homes useless. While being a hill certainly complicates things for some uses, I think a kid would no problem enjoying a space like that (and without having to be supervised like if they were off property). Hell, I was just back in a rural area for the past while, and it's made me remember just how much I would kill for even 10sqft of private outdoor space (even if it was a hill!). I have no problem sharing space with people on things like our trail system, but I'm a person who's never truly been able to enjoy a place like Victoria park, specifically because I'm sharing it with other people.

Even if the frontyard is completely filled with cars, I assume these homes have back yards, I don't think the suggestion was to have no personal space at all. And I'm not saying that no side yards are ever useful. But the marginal gains of having this space between the homes is...I would agree, very small. Making the homes bigger, if nothing else, would probably provide far more value. Doubly so because the biggest benefit to detached housing (more window space) is not even realized...again, because they are too close.

Well, yes, I can clearly see on Google Maps that these houses have backyards that make the sideyard negligible. The value judgement of a sideyard vs larger home is up to the market to decide (unless zoning is preventing this from happening).

More window space may be your biggest benefit, but if we are comparing detached homes to semis or townhouses, I think you highlighted what most people would see as a larger benefit in your post immediately prior: not having to deal with uncooperative neighbours. Even if condo townhomes provide a better framework for cooperation, if I understand correctly, you are still subject to the decisions of the condo board that you are only a small part of.