Waterloo Region Connected
General Suburban Updates and Rumours - Printable Version

+- Waterloo Region Connected (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com)
+-- Forum: Land Development and Real Estate (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Suburbs (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Thread: General Suburban Updates and Rumours (/showthread.php?tid=4)

RE: General Suburban Updates and Rumours - DHLawrence - 03-14-2017

I'm amazed single-family homes lasted as long as they did on Hespeler Road. This will be a good replacement.

RE: General Suburban Updates and Rumours - nms - 03-29-2017

I wasn't sure if this had been discussed elsewhere, but here is an update of the proposed Muslim prayer centre near Columbia/Erbsville in Waterloo.  Definitely disappointing if the comments that are quoted in the article are true reflection of the comments that the City has received so far:

D’AMATO: Anti-Muslim bigotry is alive in Waterloo[url=D’AMATO: Anti-Muslim bigotry is alive in Waterloo][/url]
Luisa D'Amato

Quote:The Muslim Association of Canada wants to build a small prayer centre on Erbsville Road near Laurelwood Drive in Waterloo.
Here is some of the response, so far:

"You should be on a farm somewhere where no one can see you."
"This is going to bring more Muslim families to the neighbourhood, and that's going to lower my house values."
"I hope this city stops the Muslim centre, and all other Muslim places torn down."
And this chilling remark, posted on a Mandarin-language chat group for local residents:
"Why we buy a few dead pigs and leave at that site. Hire someone to do it."

Balance of the article on the Record web site.

RE: General Suburban Updates and Rumours - Andy - 03-29-2017

On the bright side, we don't have to do a dance pretending like this is a traffic issue for the residents.

RE: General Suburban Updates and Rumours - Watdot - 03-29-2017

This application should be approved. If this zone change isn't approved I hope the property owners take it to the OMB.
Beaver Creek Meadows subdivision, less than 2km north on Erbsville Road, was approved this past fall. The traffic issue is completely void given that recent approval.

RE: General Suburban Updates and Rumours - Coke6pk - 03-29-2017

The bigotry is disgusting in today's day and age. [I'm not a muslim, but I am offended for them]. I guess I thought we were more welcoming than other cultures, but I guess like everything else, we are being Americanized... Sad

Coke

RE: General Suburban Updates and Rumours - Section ThirtyOne - 03-29-2017

The people making those statements in the article should be ashamed of themselves.

RE: General Suburban Updates and Rumours - KevinL - 03-29-2017

I really want to look on the better side of this, hope that the majority of residents in that neighbourhood are accepting and open to this, and that just a few malconents crashed that meeting to cause trouble. But part of me says it's not that simple. :/

RE: General Suburban Updates and Rumours - danbrotherston - 03-29-2017

(03-29-2017, 05:08 PM)KevinL Wrote: I really want to look on the better side of this, hope that the majority of residents in that neighbourhood are accepting and open to this, and that just a few malconents crashed that meeting to cause trouble. But part of me says it's not that simple. :/

It might not be *quite* so simple, as in, many might be unwilling to publicly say what these people said, but secretly agree.  However, I think you're still right, the majority probably listen to that and shake their heads.

The real problem is, in our world today, it's no longer good enough for folks privately shake their head, we must stand up and be vocal, in the media, at the polls, etc., against this type of rhetoric.

RE: General Suburban Updates and Rumours - rangersfan - 03-29-2017

Work has started on a 8 story apartment building at 599 Strasburg Rd, already a large amount of excavation has been done.

RE: General Suburban Updates and Rumours - Rainrider22 - 03-29-2017

(03-29-2017, 01:02 PM)nms Wrote: I wasn't sure if this had been discussed elsewhere, but here is an update of the proposed Muslim prayer centre near Columbia/Erbsville in Waterloo.  Definitely disappointing if the comments that are quoted in the article are true reflection of the comments that the City has received so far:

D’AMATO: Anti-Muslim bigotry is alive in Waterloo[/url]
Luisa D'Amato

Quote:The Muslim Association of Canada wants to build a small prayer centre on Erbsville Road near Laurelwood Drive in Waterloo.
Here is some of the response, so far:

"You should be on a farm somewhere where no one can see you."
"This is going to bring more Muslim families to the neighbourhood, and that's going to lower my house values."
"I hope this city stops the Muslim centre, and all other Muslim places torn down."
And this chilling remark, posted on a Mandarin-language chat group for local residents:
"Why we buy a few dead pigs and leave at that site. Hire someone to do it."

[url=http://www.therecord.com/opinion-story/7213871-d-amato-anti-muslim-bigotry-is-alive-in-waterloo/]Balance of the article on the Record web site

What,  wait a minute.  I thought Waterloo was a smart city.  They always preach social conscience, What is this rhetoric ?  Oh wait a minute, this is the same city that has a sterile UP TOWN, where the regular people don't have to rub shoulders or acknowledge that there are people who are lnot as well off.... The City with two universities where one of them wont allow a person to talk and explain their position on a particular subject matter because it doesn't fit with perceived ideals... Are any f you here seriously surprised at these comments ? Waterloo is not a city I would be part of..  Just saying

RE: General Suburban Updates and Rumours - Elmira Guy - 03-30-2017

/\ Right. Because of course the repugnant views being expressed in those comments don't exist among any of the residents of Kitchener, or Cambridge, or every other bloody community in this country. And of course the attitude you state to be held by every resident of Waterloo ("they always...") is exactly how it is. Spot on!

You clearly have some serious issues with the city of Waterloo and it's residents. I expect these kinds of silly generalisations born of some sort of chip-on-the-shoulder over at SSP, but not here. That's one of the things that makes this board so great. The pettiness is virtually non existent, though your comment proves the exception.

RE: General Suburban Updates and Rumours - jamincan - 03-30-2017

I hate sarcastic rhetoric, especially online.

RE: General Suburban Updates and Rumours - Viewfromthe42 - 03-30-2017

Just a reminder that it was in front of Kitchener City Hall a weekend or two ago that anti-muslim protestors were waving placards.

RE: General Suburban Updates and Rumours - ijmorlan - 03-30-2017

(03-30-2017, 10:40 AM)Viewfromthe42 Wrote: Just a reminder that it was in front of Kitchener City Hall a weekend or two ago that anti-muslim protestors were waving placards.

How do you know they weren’t from Waterloo? Tongue

But seriously, wow. Taking time out to protest a whole culture. Don’t those people know their ancestors were probably the ones even earlier arrivals were protesting?

RE: General Suburban Updates and Rumours - Rainrider22 - 03-30-2017

(03-30-2017, 12:59 AM)Elmira Guy Wrote: /\ Right. Because of course the repugnant views being expressed in those comments don't exist among any of the residents of Kitchener, or Cambridge, or every other bloody community in this country. And of course the attitude you state to be held by every resident of Waterloo ("they always...") is exactly how it is. Spot on!

You clearly have some serious issues with the city of Waterloo and it's residents. I expect these kinds of silly generalisations born of some sort of chip-on-the-shoulder over at SSP, but not here. That's one of the things that makes this board so great. The pettiness is virtually non existent, though your comment proves the exception.

You have a unique ability to read a lot into a simple messgae of sarcasm. Perhaps your own judgement should be tamed a bit. I have seen you post on here before with your own opinion.  But if ones opinion doesn't align with your own you seem to get. Quite upset.