Waterloo Region Connected
Grocery Stores - Printable Version

+- Waterloo Region Connected (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com)
+-- Forum: Waterloo Region Life (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Forum: Retail (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+--- Thread: Grocery Stores (/showthread.php?tid=397)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26

RE: Grocery Stores - Bob_McBob - 09-26-2017

I would love to see the whole plaza revert to retail. It's still weird having Sun Life occupying most of it.

RE: Grocery Stores - KevinL - 09-26-2017

That portion has been redeveloped with office in mind, I doubt retail will return.

RE: Grocery Stores - tomh009 - 09-26-2017

(09-26-2017, 12:34 PM)Bob_McBob Wrote: I would love to see the whole plaza revert to retail. It's still weird having Sun Life occupying most of it.

That era has passed, and is unlikely to return.

RE: Grocery Stores - Bob_McBob - 09-26-2017

I know it's never going to happen. The little mini mall that used to exist there was never particularly successful, and it's working out much better as office space.

RE: Grocery Stores - ijmorlan - 09-26-2017

(09-26-2017, 02:33 PM)Bob_McBob Wrote: I know it's never going to happen. The little mini mall that used to exist there was never particularly successful, and it's working out much better as office space.

I just wish the Michael’s wasn’t so far from the rest of the stores by walking — not only is it not linked indoors, but you actually have to walk around the entire SunLife area. Unavoidable given the overall layout and how much of the space SunLife needs, but it does mean Michael’s is quite separated from the rest of the stores (and the professional offices above the stores also).

RE: Grocery Stores - nms - 09-29-2017

The realtor shows the T&T occupying everything north of the Dairy Queen and likely closing the breezeway.  I think that the old Mr Grocer just occupied everything up to the breezeway.  If the breezeway closes, it will increase the walking time for the Luther Village residents to get to the Pharmacy and other shops.

RE: Grocery Stores - KevinL - 09-29-2017

That would be unfortunate. The breezeway really is useful as you indicate.

RE: Grocery Stores - mpd618 - 01-06-2018

Demolition seems to have started at the T&T site.

RE: Grocery Stores - nms - 01-08-2018

They've been actively working for a couple of weeks now.  Most of the relocated tenants have opened again elsewhere in the plaza.

RE: Grocery Stores - Bob_McBob - 01-19-2018

When did the Sobeys locations on Columbia and Ira Needles start closing at 10pm? I know Sobeys recently laid off a lot of their office workers, and I seem to recall some rumblings about potential store closures in KW. 11pm is the standard closing time for every other competing supermarket nearby, so it really stands out in the local retail environment.

RE: Grocery Stores - NotStan - 01-19-2018

Don't know but the Sobeys on Ira Needels closes at 10 as well. Same for food basics at Laurelwood, Fisher Hallman @ University and Highland

RE: Grocery Stores - Bob_McBob - 01-19-2018

All Food Basics stores close at 10, just like FreshCo and other similar brands. The Ira Needles and the Columbia Sobeys locations closed at 11 until recently, like Zehrs, Superstore, most Walmarts, and every other Sobeys in the region. They even tried 24 hours at the Columbia location at one point. As someone who regularly shops near closing time, it's been a very long time indeed since any similar supermarket in the area closed at 10.

RE: Grocery Stores - timio - 01-19-2018

FreshCo at Weber/Franklin is open 24 hours.

RE: Grocery Stores - DHLawrence - 01-19-2018

It's not just the region; the Sobeys in Peterborough stopped being 24 hours while I lived up there.

Cambridge used to have a 24-hour A&P/Metro, but it closed a year or two ago.

RE: Grocery Stores - taylortbb - 01-19-2018

Instacart has arrived in Waterloo Region, https://www.therecord.com/news-story/8076584-instacart-grocery-service-expands-into-waterloo-region/ .

For those not familiar it's a grocery delivery service, which is operating in Canada in partnership with Loblaws. It was started by a UW grad, but is based in San Francisco.

Their welcome promo is $20 off your first order with the code HIKITCHENER.