Waterloo Region Connected
Grocery Stores - Printable Version

+- Waterloo Region Connected (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com)
+-- Forum: Waterloo Region Life (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Forum: Retail (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+--- Thread: Grocery Stores (/showthread.php?tid=397)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26

RE: Grocery Stores - Spokes - 09-24-2018

(09-24-2018, 01:31 PM)panamaniac Wrote:
(09-24-2018, 12:30 PM)jamincan Wrote: I think Sobey's already tries to position themselves as a more premium option; I guess Farm Boy fits that even more so.

I suppose most people in this forum have been to a Farm Boy by now, but the best description (from U.S. media) I ever saw was that it's a cross between Whole Foods and Trader Joe's.  It is not out of line in terms of prices, although it is a bit higher than Loblaws or Sobeys.  I've never thought of Sobeys as "premium", however.

That's actually a perfect description

RE: Grocery Stores - tomh009 - 09-24-2018

(09-24-2018, 12:30 PM)jamincan Wrote: I think Sobey's already tries to position themselves as a more premium option; I guess Farm Boy fits that even more so.

I suppose most people in this forum have been to a Farm Boy by now, but the best description (from U.S. media) I ever saw was that it's a cross between Whole Foods and Trader Joe's.  It is not out of line in terms of prices, although it is a bit higher than Loblaws or Sobeys.  I've never thought of Sobeys as "premium", however.

Sobeys (annoyingly they have no apostrophe in the name) is really a mainstream supermarket, similar to Zehrs or Loblaws. Both chains have multiple downmarket options.

I'd kill for a Trader Joe's to move into Eaton Lofts though! Smile Sadly they don't have any announced plans to expand to Canada.

Sobeys (annoyingly they have no apostrophe in the name) is really a mainstream supermarket, similar to Zehrs or Loblaws. Both chains have multiple downmarket options.

I'd kill for a Trader Joe's to move into Eaton Lofts though! Smile Sadly they don't have any announced plans to expand to Canada.

RE: Grocery Stores - KevinL - 09-24-2018

Sobeys is a titch more upstream than Zehrs, in my opinion, but only just.

And the lack of apostrophe is, as always in this country, due to Quebec language law.

RE: Grocery Stores - Spokes - 09-24-2018

(09-24-2018, 02:44 PM)KevinL Wrote: Sobeys is a titch more upstream than Zehrs, in my opinion, but only just.

And the lack of apostrophe is, as always in this country, due to Quebec language law.
What?!?  Go on...

RE: Grocery Stores - ijmorlan - 09-24-2018

(09-24-2018, 02:46 PM)Spokes Wrote:
(09-24-2018, 02:44 PM)KevinL Wrote: Sobeys is a titch more upstream than Zehrs, in my opinion, but only just.

What?!?  Go on...

“Eaton’s” is English. The French equivalent would be something like “Chez Eaton”, but just the name itself is also apparently acceptable under the signage law.

If I recall correctly, in Québec their stores said “Eaton”, whereas in Ontario and elsewhere they said “Eaton’s”.

Since Zehr’s is only in Ontario, I don’t think the Quebec language law has anything to do with it.

For chains which operate both in and out of Québec, I can believe that they would want to have a single visual appearance country-wide, and may well decide to drop the apostrophe everywhere in order to be OK in Québec.

RE: Grocery Stores - KevinL - 09-24-2018

Yes, exactly. Another example: Tim Hortons no longer uses an apostrophe.

I think that really depends on the individual store, there are examples in both directions. The Zehrs at University/Lincoln is certainly not fabulous, but then neither is the Sobeys at Highland/Belmont.

RE: Grocery Stores - jgsz - 09-24-2018

I'm so glad you didn't write "due to Quebecs language law."  Très diplomatique.   Big Grin

RE: Grocery Stores - timc - 09-24-2018

While Sobeys and Tim Hortons may have dropped the apostrophe due to language laws, it is also possible that it is just good marketing. Apostrophes have been or are being dropped from brands everywhere, not just in Canada.

RE: Grocery Stores - MacBerry - 09-26-2018

Long before Quebec language laws >  

Or ... the fact that Sobeys was an early 20th century market store name, a brand name, not a family possessive ownership noun used now and by Empire Company (the Owner).

The same happens to be true with all Loblaws stores which are owned at first length by "Loblaw" and wholly by George Weston Ltd.

Zehrmart Inc. (doing business as Zehrs Markets or simply Zehrs) is what it is as known now a Loblaw company although it originally was Zehrs Markets in the 60s and 70s

RE: Grocery Stores - KevinL - 09-27-2018

In the same building? I think so.

RE: Grocery Stores - timio - 09-27-2018

I would think Hiway Centre.

RE: Grocery Stores - neonjoe - 09-28-2018

(09-27-2018, 08:33 PM)Chicopee Wrote:
(09-27-2018, 07:30 PM)timio Wrote: I would think Hiway Centre.

Highway Centre was Highway Market, which closed in 1987. Stanley Park Zehrs (Zehr's) has been in that location since the building was built in the late '60s.

Stanley Park Zehrs was rebuilt with the added parking garage under it in the 90s

RE: Grocery Stores - robdrimmie - 09-28-2018

(09-28-2018, 09:14 AM)neonjoe Wrote:
(09-27-2018, 08:33 PM)Chicopee Wrote: Highway Centre was Highway Market, which closed in 1987. Stanley Park Zehrs (Zehr's) has been in that location since the building was built in the late '60s.

Stanley Park Zehrs was rebuilt with the added parking garage under it in the 90s

Was Highway Market owned by Loblaws?