Waterloo Region Connected
Station Park | 18, 28, 36, 40, 50 fl | U/C - Printable Version

+- Waterloo Region Connected (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com)
+-- Forum: Land Development and Real Estate (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Urban Areas (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: Station Park | 18, 28, 36, 40, 50 fl | U/C (/showthread.php?tid=38)

RE: Station Park | 18, 28, 32, 36, 44 fl | U/C - Camper - 11-01-2021

(11-01-2021, 02:31 PM)skyrise32 Wrote:
(11-01-2021, 12:59 PM)Camper Wrote: I can 99% guarantee your floor height change from 11' to 9' is not a typo or miscommunication and is directly related to schedule and cost.  To change formwork is expensive and time consuming for 1 or 2 floors and this is probably either the formwork company offering a credit to the GC to keep floor levels at 9' or possibly the GC doing it to meet schedule and get occupancy dates.
The fact that they're telling you its just a miscommunication (and you have no way of proving otherwise ) is definitely crappy on their part.

Its the other way around. No chance that the drawings show 11' and the formworker/GC is trying to "save time/money" to form 9'. That just doesnt happen. Plus they have Verdi on this job who would form 20ft without question.

Sales/marketing gets details about floors from construction. Someone made a mistake or didnt properly check the drawings. It could have been clearly shown or there could have been a transfer slab that would not be picked up by some office staff at the sales/marketing stage.
Actually it happens quite often that subtrades propose changes in exchange for credit.  Especially the big structural trades. Obviously the forming company could do whatever is drawn but there is definitely time and financial savings by keeping as many floors typical as possible.  Plus those 4th floor podium suites wont sell for big bucks like the penthouse units so the 11' ceilings could have been scrapped before construction began and the change failed to make it to the marketing team. 
Either way even if I'm wrong or you know something I don't,  it sucks for the person buying a unit that thought they were getting high ceilings.

RE: Station Park | 18, 28, 32, 36, 44 fl | U/C - tomh009 - 11-01-2021

And the builder will offer $100 and a bag of Doritos in compensation since they know that almost no one will walk away ... 😥

RE: Station Park | 18, 28, 32, 36, 44 fl | U/C - Votemac - 11-02-2021

It's a frustrating situation for sure, but i'm trying to look only on the bright side. I appreciate all of your input and theories, some may be more accurate than others but i'll never know

Anyone else here going to be living in SP?

RE: Station Park | 18, 28, 32, 36, 44 fl | U/C - skyrise32 - 11-02-2021

(11-01-2021, 04:58 PM)Camper Wrote:
(11-01-2021, 02:31 PM)skyrise32 Wrote: Its the other way around. No chance that the drawings show 11' and the formworker/GC is trying to "save time/money" to form 9'. That just doesnt happen. Plus they have Verdi on this job who would form 20ft without question.

Sales/marketing gets details about floors from construction. Someone made a mistake or didnt properly check the drawings. It could have been clearly shown or there could have been a transfer slab that would not be picked up by some office staff at the sales/marketing stage.
Actually it happens quite often that subtrades propose changes in exchange for credit.  Especially the big structural trades. Obviously the forming company could do whatever is drawn but there is definitely time and financial savings by keeping as many floors typical as possible.  Plus those 4th floor podium suites wont sell for big bucks like the penthouse units so the 11' ceilings could have been scrapped before construction began and the change failed to make it to the marketing team. 
Either way even if I'm wrong or you know something I don't,  it sucks for the person buying a unit that thought they were getting high ceilings.
Imo there was no actual change, someone saw 11' concrete to concrete height on drawings but it was meant to be a mech crossover flr or a thicker strucural transfer slab and a 9' finish height was always intended with a drop ceiling. And yes 11' is unheard of for condo unless high end penthouse levels. Looking at the pics of the podium there is def higher floors due to a heated soffit where the suites above overhang.
If its on the 4th flr podium you arent typical yet so that would not change anything on time/schedule. Trust me forming company would not be involved in anything like this.

RE: Station Park | 18, 28, 32, 36, 44 fl | U/C - CP42 - 11-02-2021

(11-02-2021, 10:06 AM)Votemac Wrote: Anyone else here going to be living in SP?

I’m planning on it!

RE: Station Park | 18, 28, 32, 36, 44 fl | U/C - ac3r - 11-03-2021

I was considering one of the future towers, but I'm working out of Toronto and while I've tried to find work here, I don't like any of the local architecture firms. Who knows, though, the Victoria and Park development might entice me and not because I was on the design team hah, it's just going to be a nice project.

RE: Station Park | 18, 28, 32, 36, 44 fl | U/C - Votemac - 11-03-2021

(11-02-2021, 11:07 AM)CP42 Wrote:
(11-02-2021, 10:06 AM)Votemac Wrote: Anyone else here going to be living in SP?

I’m planning on it!

Right on! See you at the bowling lanes

RE: Station Park | 18, 28, 32, 36, 44 fl | U/C - Votemac - 11-03-2021

(11-03-2021, 06:47 AM)ac3r Wrote: I was considering one of the future towers, but I'm working out of Toronto and while I've tried to find work here, I don't like any of the local architecture firms. Who knows, though, the Victoria and Park development might entice me and not because I was on the design team hah, it's just going to be a nice project.

I too am primarily based downtown Toronto, but SP being across from the GO station/future Central Station is one of the main reasons i chose this location

RE: Station Park | 18, 28, 32, 36, 44 fl | U/C - westwardloo - 11-03-2021

(11-03-2021, 02:47 PM)Votemac Wrote:
(11-03-2021, 06:47 AM)ac3r Wrote: I was considering one of the future towers, but I'm working out of Toronto and while I've tried to find work here, I don't like any of the local architecture firms. Who knows, though, the Victoria and Park development might entice me and not because I was on the design team hah, it's just going to be a nice project.

I too am primarily based downtown Toronto, but SP being across from the GO station/future Central Station is one of the main reasons i chose this location

Maybe the two of you could startup a local architecture firm that strives for quality instead of quantity.  I kid kind of... I know there are a couple firms in the region that have shown they are capable of designing a well thought out building.

RE: Station Park | 18, 28, 32, 36, 44 fl | U/C - ac3r - 11-03-2021

There's plenty of good talent here (UW School of Architecture exists here, after all), it's the developers that go for the budget dollarstore designs. :'(

RE: Station Park | 18, 28, 32, 36, 44 fl | U/C - Votemac - 11-08-2021

I took some new pictures this weekend of SP progress but for some reason the "add attachment" button at the bottom is no longer there. 🕵️

Anyone else having this issue? I have tried it on multiple browsers 

Mac

RE: Station Park | 18, 28, 32, 36, 44 fl | U/C - CP42 - 11-08-2021

(11-08-2021, 11:42 AM)Votemac Wrote: I took some new pictures this weekend of SP progress but for some reason the "add attachment" button at the bottom is no longer there. 🕵️

Mac

I have found the best solution lately to be to upload to Imgur, copy the image link, and then insert it into the post using the photo button above the text box and pasting the image link into there! Don’t have to worry about storage limits that way either.

RE: Station Park | 18, 28, 32, 36, 44 fl | U/C - tomh009 - 11-08-2021

(11-08-2021, 11:42 AM)Votemac Wrote: I took some new pictures this weekend of SP progress but for some reason the "add attachment" button at the bottom is no longer there. 🕵️

Mac

There is currently an issue with the theme -- you can get the attachment functionality back if you switch the theme to "Default" (bottom right corner of the page).

RE: Station Park | 18, 28, 32, 36, 44 fl | U/C - Votemac - 11-09-2021

Update from 11/6/2021

RE: Station Park | 18, 28, 32, 36, 44 fl | U/C - Votemac - 11-09-2021

(11-08-2021, 12:25 PM)tomh009 Wrote:

Mac

There is currently an issue with the theme -- you can get the attachment functionality back if you switch the theme to "Default" (bottom right corner of the page).

oh boy i'm not having any luck with this, see post above for result