Waterloo Region Connected
Station Park | 18, 28, 36, 40, 50 fl | U/C - Printable Version

+- Waterloo Region Connected (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com)
+-- Forum: Land Development and Real Estate (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Urban Areas (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: Station Park | 18, 28, 36, 40, 50 fl | U/C (/showthread.php?tid=38)

RE: Station Park | 18, 28, 32, 36, 44 fl | U/C - jeffster - 10-27-2021

(10-26-2021, 08:57 PM)ac3r Wrote: Do they have a definition for skyscrapers? I thought they just defined buildings in 3 ways: tall (<300m), supertall (300m> as you said) and megatall (>600m). Most architects I know begin to define skyscrapers at 100m and greater because the definition is so varied. In a city like Shanghai or Chicago, 100m is dwarfed by anything truly tall and you'd never really consider such things skyscrapers, whereas in a midsized city like the tri-cities here or even in a major city like Berlin, the definition is more broad since neither of us have tall a lot of tall buildings. To Berliners, Radisson Berlin Alexanderplatz is a skyscraper.

Fun fact, Duke Tower is actually taller than the tallest building in Berlin if you ignore their various antenna towers! Take that, olde-Berlin.

I have heard that generally it's either 100m or 150m for a "Sky Scrapper". Then the other categories you mention.

Bolded: By 10 feet, or 3 meters. That is interesting though, because I never occurred to me that we have some livable/workable buildings taller than those in an Alpha city, which Berlin is.

RE: Station Park | 18, 28, 32, 36, 44 fl | U/C - ac3r - 10-27-2021

(10-27-2021, 12:14 AM)CP42 Wrote: I’m also curious to what the ceilings will look like on this project after seeing the discussion of the exposed concrete ceilings at Charlie West.
The rendering I posted above appears to have white painted ceilings while this one, which has been around for a while, has concrete:

Glazed concrete would be a great thing to have on the roof versus paint. I'd hope they go with the former.

(10-27-2021, 01:39 AM)jeffster Wrote: Bolded: By 10 feet, or 3 meters. That is interesting though, because I never occurred to me that we have some livable/workable buildings taller than those in an Alpha city, which Berlin is.

Yeah German cities aren't tall, with the exception of Frankfurt which has a lot of skyscrapers due to it being a financial capital of Germany/European Union. Yet due to the density of their cities (most buildings around you are 5-6 floors on average) they always feel like much bigger cities even without a hyper-densified downtown core like we tend to build in North America. I'll always love it over there for that reason. No matter where you are in a city, everything is dense, tall, right up to the sidewalks and yet a city like Berlin - vastly larger than even Toronto - is one of the greenest cities on the planet. I love the atmosphere of European cities. Cities with the same population as Waterloo Region feel like big cities because things aren't as spread out.

Nit picking, but Berlin is technically a Beta city if you're going by the GaWC definition. Frankfurt and München, although smaller, are Alpha cities due to them having a stronger economic/commerce role.

RE: Station Park | 18, 28, 32, 36, 44 fl | U/C - plam - 10-27-2021

(10-27-2021, 07:22 AM)ac3r Wrote: Cities with the same population as Waterloo Region feel like big cities because things aren't as spread out.

Waterloo is particularly bad for this. NZ cities of the same size feel much bigger for sure.

RE: Station Park | 18, 28, 32, 36, 44 fl | U/C - tomh009 - 10-27-2021

There are indeed a lot of tall buildings in the Paris region, but by far most of them are in La Défense, outside the city of Paris. Within the city, there is a cluster at Les Olympiades, built in the early 1970s, but most of the city itself is remarkably low- and mid-rise. This is why the Eiffel Tower is still so visible in the skyline.

RE: Station Park | 18, 28, 32, 36, 44 fl | U/C - tomh009 - 10-27-2021

(10-27-2021, 12:08 AM)CP42 Wrote: I know it’s just a rendering, but I don’t think I’ve seen this one posted anywhere. Came across it on VanMar Constructors’ website this evening.

[Image: UNju0eV.jpg]

Corner units always look gorgeous. Just don't make the mistake of buying one on the SW corner of a building.

RE: Station Park | 18, 28, 32, 36, 44 fl | U/C - Votemac - 10-27-2021

Since we're on the topic of ceilings, I purchased my podium unit with 11ft ceilings...... during the winter I was told an error had been made which resulted in 9ft ceilings.

Incredibly disappointing, not to mention the small amount of compensation that was offered

To finish on a positive note, that new rendering DOES look great

*M

RE: Station Park | 18, 28, 32, 36, 44 fl | U/C - CP42 - 10-27-2021

(10-27-2021, 10:25 AM)Votemac Wrote: Since we're on the topic of ceilings, I purchased my podium unit with 11ft ceilings...... during the winter I was told an error had been made which resulted in 9ft ceilings.

Incredibly disappointing, not to mention the small amount of compensation that was offered
That is extremely frustrating. How does an error that big even happen...

RE: Station Park | 18, 28, 32, 36, 44 fl | U/C - ac3r - 10-27-2021

I would guess it was a typo in their sales information? Or a communication error that resulted in sales staff having the wrong information? Not that they accidentally built the ceiling above too short. I'm curious what happened too. It's very uncommon the builders would screw up that bad, there's architectural drawings they use and lots of other contingencies in place.

RE: Station Park | 18, 28, 32, 36, 44 fl | U/C - Votemac - 10-27-2021

(10-27-2021, 12:45 PM)ac3r Wrote: I would guess it was a typo in their sales information? Or a communication error that resulted in sales staff having the wrong information? Not that they accidentally built the ceiling above too short. I'm curious what happened too. It's very uncommon the builders would screw up that bad, there's architectural drawings they use and lots of other contingencies in place.

Their wording: "...an oversight which led to a mis-categorization of your unit during the design and construction phase of the project which has led to your unit being constructed with a ceiling height of 9 feet"

Huh

RE: Station Park | 18, 28, 32, 36, 44 fl | U/C - jeffster - 10-27-2021

(10-27-2021, 12:45 PM)ac3r Wrote: I would guess it was a typo in their sales information? Or a communication error that resulted in sales staff having the wrong information? Not that they accidentally built the ceiling above too short. I'm curious what happened too. It's very uncommon the builders would screw up that bad, there's architectural drawings they use and lots of other contingencies in place.

I would like to believe that these types of things are unintended -- but -- I don't buy that. 11' vs 9' is not a typo. 12' vs 11' is. I wouldn't say the fault is on the builder, but rather the seller, as it makes for an easier sell.

One thing I have learned about sales people: honesty isn't their strength. You need to go in knowing what you want and need and understand what happens when a party fails to disclose accurate information. But I have never met an honest sales person.

EDIT: just noticed the post above mine. I have no idea what to believe.

RE: Station Park | 18, 28, 32, 36, 44 fl | U/C - hockeyguy99 - 10-27-2021

@Votemac what floor in the podium?

RE: Station Park | 18, 28, 32, 36, 44 fl | U/C - Votemac - 10-28-2021

(10-27-2021, 06:51 PM)hockeyguy99 Wrote: @Votemac what floor in the podium?

I'd rather not get any more specific where my unit is, but i'm told there were a few others who had the same notification

RE: Station Park | 18, 28, 32, 36, 44 fl | U/C - nms - 10-31-2021

(10-27-2021, 10:13 AM)tomh009 Wrote: There are indeed a lot of tall buildings in the Paris region, but by far most of them are in La Défense, outside the city of Paris. Within the city, there is a cluster at Les Olympiades, built in the early 1970s, but most of the city itself is remarkably low- and mid-rise. This is why the Eiffel Tower is still so visible in the skyline.

The low- and mid-rise nature of Paris is very much on purpose. From that link:

Quote:In 1973, the Montparnasse Tower office building rose up in the 15th arrondissement. This 59-story, 209m (686ft) high eyesore has had few champions since it was built.
Following the Montparnasse Tower experience, the City Council set a height limit of 37m (121ft) for new buildings within the city limits. This allowed Paris’ famous monuments – the Eiffel Tower, the Arc de Triomphe, the Basilica of Sacré-Coeur, Notre-Dame – to reign unchallenged.
The City Council raised the height limit in 2010 to 50m (160ft) in certain central areas and 180m (590ft) in the city’s outer areas. This doesn’t mean that skyscrapers will spring up in the core of Paris. For the oldest and most central neighborhoods, the former height limits remain in force.

RE: Station Park | 18, 28, 32, 36, 44 fl | U/C - Camper - 11-01-2021

I can 99% guarantee your floor height change from 11' to 9' is not a typo or miscommunication and is directly related to schedule and cost. To change formwork is expensive and time consuming for 1 or 2 floors and this is probably either the formwork company offering a credit to the GC to keep floor levels at 9' or possibly the GC doing it to meet schedule and get occupancy dates.
The fact that they're telling you its just a miscommunication (and you have no way of proving otherwise ) is definitely crappy on their part.

RE: Station Park | 18, 28, 32, 36, 44 fl | U/C - skyrise32 - 11-01-2021

(11-01-2021, 12:59 PM)Camper Wrote: I can 99% guarantee your floor height change from 11' to 9' is not a typo or miscommunication and is directly related to schedule and cost.  To change formwork is expensive and time consuming for 1 or 2 floors and this is probably either the formwork company offering a credit to the GC to keep floor levels at 9' or possibly the GC doing it to meet schedule and get occupancy dates.
The fact that they're telling you its just a miscommunication (and you have no way of proving otherwise ) is definitely crappy on their part.

Its the other way around. No chance that the drawings show 11' and the formworker/GC is trying to "save time/money" to form 9'. That just doesnt happen. Plus they have Verdi on this job who would form 20ft without question.

Sales/marketing gets details about floors from construction. Someone made a mistake or didnt properly check the drawings. It could have been clearly shown or there could have been a transfer slab that would not be picked up by some office staff at the sales/marketing stage.