Waterloo Region Connected
Station Park | 18, 28, 36, 40, 50 fl | U/C - Printable Version

+- Waterloo Region Connected (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com)
+-- Forum: Land Development and Real Estate (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Urban Areas (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: Station Park | 18, 28, 36, 40, 50 fl | U/C (/showthread.php?tid=38)

RE: Station Park | 18, 28, 36, 40, 50 fl | U/C - taylortbb - 06-06-2023

(06-06-2023, 12:36 PM)CP42 Wrote:
(06-06-2023, 12:22 PM)taylortbb Wrote: I'm not surprised amenities aren't ready yet, they always take forever and are the last thing done.

But no AC?! Is the entirety of both buildings without AC? I thought it was basically mandatory for glass towers to have AC, they're unlivable otherwise.

Yup - it’s been very hot in here. They’re saying it’s only because it’s the first time they’re being switched over and going forward it won’t be this late, but very frustrating and uncomfortable nonetheless.

It's a whole building switch over? I didn't think anyone built buildings like that anymore. All the Momentum buildings allow for some units using AC simultaneously with some using heat. I talked to their construction manager and he didn't believe anyone still built new buildings where it was a simultaneous changeover.

RE: Station Park | 18, 28, 36, 40, 50 fl | U/C - CP42 - 06-06-2023

(06-06-2023, 10:05 PM)taylortbb Wrote:
(06-06-2023, 12:36 PM)CP42 Wrote: Yup - it’s been very hot in here. They’re saying it’s only because it’s the first time they’re being switched over and going forward it won’t be this late, but very frustrating and uncomfortable nonetheless.

It's a whole building switch over? I didn't think anyone built buildings like that anymore. All the Momentum buildings allow for some units using AC simultaneously with some using heat. I talked to their construction manager and didn't believe anyone still built new buildings where it was a simultaneous changeover.

Yup, whole building.
That’s interesting - a friend of mine lives in Charlie West which is a Momentum building and they do a whole building switchover as well. I believe a friend of mine who lives at Garment St Condos said they had to wait for a certain date to use their air conditioning as well. 
My assumption was all buildings that didn’t have individual AC units on their balconies would be subject to a whole building switchover.

RE: Station Park | 18, 28, 36, 40, 50 fl | U/C - taylortbb - 06-07-2023

(06-06-2023, 10:19 PM)CP42 Wrote: That’s interesting - a friend of mine lives in Charlie West which is a Momentum building and they do a whole building switchover as well. I believe a friend of mine who lives at Garment St Condos said they had to wait for a certain date to use their air conditioning as well. 

That's not correct. I live in Charlie West and I'm 100% certain it's a 4 pipe system (separate heating and cooling loops). I was on the roof of Charlie West talking to their construction manager when I had that conversation. I'm on the south side of the building and was using my AC in March.

Garment St uses water source heat pump. A different system than CW, but also allows per-unit control. There's no reason you couldn't run AC in February at Garment St.

RE: Station Park | 18, 28, 36, 40, 50 fl | U/C - CP42 - 06-07-2023

(06-07-2023, 03:10 AM)taylortbb Wrote:
(06-06-2023, 10:19 PM)CP42 Wrote: That’s interesting - a friend of mine lives in Charlie West which is a Momentum building and they do a whole building switchover as well. I believe a friend of mine who lives at Garment St Condos said they had to wait for a certain date to use their air conditioning as well. 

That's not correct. I live in Charlie West and I'm 100% certain it's a 4 pipe system (separate heating and cooling loops). I was on the roof of Charlie West talking to their construction manager when I had that conversation. I'm on the south side of the building and was using my AC in March.

Garment St uses water source heat pump. A different system than CW, but also allows per-unit control. There's no reason you couldn't run AC in February at Garment St.

I guess my friends are confused, haha

RE: Station Park | 18, 28, 36, 40, 50 fl | U/C - tomh009 - 06-07-2023

(06-06-2023, 10:19 PM)CP42 Wrote:
(06-06-2023, 10:05 PM)taylortbb Wrote: It's a whole building switch over? I didn't think anyone built buildings like that anymore. All the Momentum buildings allow for some units using AC simultaneously with some using heat. I talked to their construction manager and didn't believe anyone still built new buildings where it was a simultaneous changeover.

Yup, whole building.
That’s interesting - a friend of mine lives in Charlie West which is a Momentum building and they do a whole building switchover as well. I believe a friend of mine who lives at Garment St Condos said they had to wait for a certain date to use their air conditioning as well. 
My assumption was all buildings that didn’t have individual AC units on their balconies would be subject to a whole building switchover.

You can build a building with a single-loop system (switchover spring and fall) or with a dual-loop system (separate heating and cooling pipes, no switchover). The dual-pipe system will cost somewhat more (don't know how much), and will cost somewhat more to operate (as both heating and cooling systems will need to run simultaneously).  So, yes, single-loop systems are still being built.

The unit air handlers frequently have an auxiliary heat function to allow for some (electrical) heating when the building is switched to AC, but that heating is quite weak.

RE: Station Park | 18, 28, 36, 40, 50 fl | U/C - taylortbb - 06-07-2023

(06-07-2023, 10:34 AM)tomh009 Wrote: You can build a building with a single-loop system (switchover spring and fall) or with a dual-loop system (separate heating and cooling pipes, no switchover). The dual-pipe system will cost somewhat more (don't know how much), and will cost somewhat more to operate (as both heating and cooling systems will need to run simultaneously).  So, yes, single-loop systems are still being built.

There's a middle ground option, the water source heat pump. It also uses a single loop, but instead of directly feeding coils in a fan coil unit, the loop is linked to the "outside" side of a heat pump. Then the heat pump can be used in heating or cooling mode. It provides the same flexibility as buildings that are built with heat pumps on the balconies, but none of the downsides.

That's why I'm surprised they'd setup a classic single loop system in this day and age. Just by putting heat pumps in you can get the flexibility, and the building system is largely the same.

RE: Station Park | 18, 28, 36, 40, 50 fl | U/C - CP42 - 06-13-2023

If anyone is interested, the amenities have finally opened for residents (aside from the hot tub and swim spa area which is apparently awaiting final city approval). 

[Image: XcgE5fI.jpg][Image: w3wtwtH.jpg][Image: cVUHWzE.jpg][Image: NcCulPx.jpg][Image: LTzP6MP.jpg][Image: IWbJwYZ.jpg]

RE: Station Park | 18, 28, 36, 40, 50 fl | U/C - CP42 - 06-13-2023

And an update on the tower 3 dig:
[Image: a3eRTvA.jpg]

RE: Station Park | 18, 28, 36, 40, 50 fl | U/C - CP42 - 07-22-2023

This is becoming quite the hole!

[Image: a2U3yKW.jpg][Image: qwfFuiW.jpg]

RE: Station Park | 18, 28, 36, 40, 50 fl | U/C - CP42 - 08-01-2023

I’m no engineer, but this appears to be a crane base getting set up today?

[Image: jpPSiO6.jpg][Image: 308earr.jpg]

RE: Station Park | 18, 28, 36, 40, 50 fl | U/C - Lebronj23 - 08-01-2023

Moving along nicely!

Curious if it’s just this pit being dug or also tower 4?

I always wondered how they would construct 1 tower at a time if they plan to be connected by the podium and podium top amenity space

RE: Station Park | 18, 28, 36, 40, 50 fl | U/C - CP42 - 08-02-2023

(08-01-2023, 08:42 PM)Lebronj23 Wrote: Moving along nicely!

I always wondered how they would construct 1 tower at a time if they plan to be connected by the podium and podium top amenity space

My understanding is this is just tower 3 - although the parking garage footprint is much larger, given the whole site will eventually be one connected garage underneath. 

I’m also curious as to how they plan to build them in two phases with a shared podium… I guess we will find out soon!

RE: Station Park | 18, 28, 36, 40, 50 fl | U/C - CP42 - 08-02-2023

(08-02-2023, 12:32 AM)CP42 Wrote:
(08-01-2023, 08:42 PM)Lebronj23 Wrote: Moving along nicely!

My understanding is this is just tower 3 - although the parking garage footprint is much larger, given the whole site will eventually be one connected garage underneath. 

I’m also curious as to how they plan to build them in two phases with a shared podium… I guess we will find out soon!

I just revisited the site plans that I have (although from 2020, so things may have changed - the tower designs of 3 and 4 did so it wouldn’t be a surprise), and noticed that they are excavating both the phase 2a and phase 2b areas:

[Image: 5FVS9P2.jpg]
[Image: 7vWrZJz.jpg]
(Note the excavation directly in front of the shared podium of towers 1 and 2 here)

Also if the towers are being built in the same locations as the plan above, doesn’t it seem like the crane base being installed is too far from the tower?

RE: Station Park | 18, 28, 36, 40, 50 fl | U/C - Spokes - 08-03-2023

Thanks for the updates

RE: Station Park | 18, 28, 36, 40, 50 fl | U/C - CP42 - 08-18-2023

Crane is going up today.
I’m curious as to whether this will be the only crane or not, given it is quite far from where the tower is supposed to be.

[Image: dE3vOve.jpg]

[Image: VVMBFNL.jpg]