Waterloo Region Connected
Trails - Printable Version

+- Waterloo Region Connected (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com)
+-- Forum: Waterloo Region Works (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Forum: Transportation and Infrastructure (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+--- Thread: Trails (/showthread.php?tid=378)

RE: Trails - danbrotherston - 01-15-2018

(01-15-2018, 09:46 AM)Viewfromthe42 Wrote: Very disappointing to not see any refuge island at Victoria, the lanes there are already plenty wide, and visually seems like more than enough space to make a University-style refuge (rather than Weber's narrow one).

Lol, just because it is not in this contract does not mean it isn't being done.  I mentioned earlier, the region is being dragged kicking and screaming into this one, but they do seem willing to play ball improving this crossing...but designs are just being considered now.

RE: Trails - rangersfan - 01-22-2018

They plan to put a pedestrian Island in for where he IHT crosses Victoria.

http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/canada/kitchener-waterloo/safer-crossing-iron-horse-trail-1.4498585

RE: Trails - tomh009 - 01-22-2018

(01-13-2018, 09:42 PM)clasher Wrote: I hate the steam engine logo, there were never any steam engines running on that rail line, it was an electric. The rest of the sings are cool though.

Similar to the current signage. For better or worse, the steam engine is associated with old railways.

RE: Trails - Canard - 01-22-2018

Thanks guys, I can’t un-see this! Now I get angry at every crossing when I see the logo. Angry

Island at Victoria and a “legalization” of the desire line will be great. I switched to cutting through about 6 months ago, when I realized it’s actually far safer than merging into traffic and standing there in the middle of the intersection with my arm sticking out, trying to turn like a car.

RE: Trails - danbrotherston - 01-22-2018

(01-22-2018, 11:20 PM)Canard Wrote: Thanks guys, I can’t un-see this! Now I get angry at every crossing when I see the logo.  Angry

Island at Victoria and a “legalization” of the desire line will be great. I switched to cutting through about 6 months ago, when I realized it’s actually far safer than merging into traffic and standing there in the middle of the intersection with my arm sticking out, trying to turn like a car.

I'd suggest the term "formalization".  Crossing the road away from a crossing is perfectly legal, the grey area is "how close is too close" to be to a crossing, and that really hasn't been defined.

It's great news they're putting in a crossing, I'm quite happy to hear this, but after the fiasco on Weber, I'm sending an email to ask for the designs early.

RE: Trails - Pheidippides - 01-22-2018

I don't understand why they can't just add a second set of lights and stopping lines at the crosswalk that are synchronized with the Victoria / West intersection; otherwise you'll get vehicles stopping right on the crossing. No addition "flow" interruption along Victoria would occur (there would still be ~100m of vehicle storage for NB West to WB Victoria or SB Strange to WB Victoria vehicles).

RE: Trails - danbrotherston - 01-23-2018

(01-22-2018, 11:32 PM)Pheidippides Wrote: I don't understand why they can't just add a second set of lights and stopping lines at the crosswalk that are synchronized with the Victoria / West intersection; otherwise you'll get vehicles stopping right on the crossing. No addition "flow" interruption along Victoria would occur (there would still be ~100m of vehicle storage for NB West to WB Victoria or SB Strange to WB Victoria vehicles).

The whole Strange/Victoria/West intersection is terrible and should be improved.  As to your suggestion, I'm guessing that traffic modeling still shows an effect (even if in practice there isn't one), and traffic engineers are all about modeling.

That being said, the article is a bit frustrating, that it claims "balance"...balance shouldn't mean "continue to never EVER interrupt cars under any circumstances, even for the busiest most premier trail in the city".  That isn't balance in my books.

RE: Trails - Viewfromthe42 - 01-23-2018

Really, there should be road markings for high traffic islands (Weber and the trail), so that cars can't stop within a certain distance of the island, so that you feel safe because they are far back, and you can see if someone in the second lane has stopped (or is failing to do so) before they are literally on top of you.

(01-23-2018, 10:09 AM)Viewfromthe42 Wrote: Really, there should be road markings for high traffic islands (Weber and the trail), so that cars can't stop within a certain distance of the island, so that you feel safe because they are far back, and you can see if someone in the second lane has stopped (or is failing to do so) before they are literally on top of you.

Lol @ the idea that road markings have any effect on where drivers stop at lights.

I agree in principle, but I don't think road markings have much of any effect.   A full on painted apron probably has more effect but now we're going to get even more driver confusion about whether to yield.

RE: Trails - Viewfromthe42 - 01-23-2018

I'm ok with that. The current template for the no-stopping zone is intersections in cities like Toronto. Drivers there who want to turn are also on higher alert; they have to decide whether they can avoid getting caught in the intersection, and acknowledge that they are the ones needing to yield (to crossing pedestrians, in this case).

RE: Trails - Canard - 01-23-2018

CTV strikes again...

Building a pedestrian island to prevent jaywalking

(01-23-2018, 10:21 PM)Canard Wrote: CTV strikes again...

Building a pedestrian island to prevent jaywalking

Oh goodness, that's terrible reporting.  It's not even the city, it's a regional road.  And calling it "jaywalking" twice....

CTV reporting really leaves a lot to be desired.

RE: Trails - Canard - 01-23-2018

It really felt like the slant they're trying to spin is "You should be angry - people are being lazy and now you're paying TWO MILLION DOLLARS for it"

RE: Trails - Canard - 01-24-2018

Look at how CBC frames it, comparatively:

Safer crossing coming for Iron Horse Trail at Victoria and West

RE: Trails - Viewfromthe42 - 01-24-2018

The IHT crossing at Victoria in particular is a bit like a local road that gets split by a divided highway, where you have to merge onto one highway, flyover to another, and then get off at an exit, rather than having an easier way to separate very different traffic modes. At least this gets it to be more like a quiet country road stop sign to cross a busy highway.