Waterloo Region Connected
Trails - Printable Version

+- Waterloo Region Connected (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com)
+-- Forum: Waterloo Region Works (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Forum: Transportation and Infrastructure (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+--- Thread: Trails (/showthread.php?tid=378)

RE: Trails - Canard - 09-08-2017

Wasn't it supposed to begin September 1?

RE: Trails - goggolor - 09-08-2017

The sign says work starting "On or about September 1st" but the trail has been open all week. It sounds like the 18th is when the trail will actually be closed for good.

RE: Trails - Canard - 09-08-2017

Ahh, thanks!

I haven't been on my bike for a week Sad So I hadn't noticed.

RE: Trails - Canard - 09-09-2017

Does anyone else find the trail crossing at University Ave. as frustrating as I do?

I'm usually headed North, here, and most of the time there's a big group of people coming South. They never stay to the right, so I get forced off to the side.

Seems to happen every. single. time!

...I'm starting to sound like one of those grumpy people. Sad

RE: Trails - KevinL - 09-09-2017

Well, term did just start. You're at peak ignorant-to-local-geography-and-customs from that particular populace just now.

RE: Trails - Markster - 09-09-2017

That crossing needed to be widened before the LRT construction, but instead, it got narrower.

They need to rework that crossing.

RE: Trails - Canard - 09-09-2017

You're right, Kevin - we were biking in London earlier today, too, and I can't tell you the number of near-misses on their MUT's we had with kids who had no idea bikes used the trails, too!

It was the first time I went "I get it" to the notion some more advanced cyclists have against MUT's, and why they prefer riding on the (vastly more predictable) road!

RE: Trails - ijmorlan - 09-10-2017

(09-09-2017, 09:10 PM)Canard Wrote: Does anyone else find the trail crossing at University Ave. as frustrating as I do?

I'm usually headed North, here, and most of the time there's a big group of people coming South.  They never stay to the right, so I get forced off to the side.

Seems to happen every. single. time!

...I'm starting to sound like one of those grumpy people.  Sad

It would be interesting to know what the outcome would be if they did an actual analysis of traffic levels, the same way they do when designing a road intersection. I’ll bet there are times of day when the bicycle and pedestrian traffic on the path is at least as many people as there are driving on the road.

RE: Trails - Canard - 09-10-2017

I see it both ways. Sometimes one pedestrian stops 50 cars... sometimes 50 pedestrians stop 1 car.

A wider crossing would be great, though - since it essentially acts as an accumulation point when the "Don't Walk" sign comes up. If everyone queued in a straight line they'd never have time to cross, so I get that the "lump" of people kind of need to scootch across as a group like that.

I just hate when it's one of me and many of them, and I feel like I have to go onto the road to let everyone else go by. Smile I was just having a grumpy day.

RE: Trails - tomh009 - 09-10-2017

(09-10-2017, 09:26 AM)ijmorlan Wrote: It would be interesting to know what the outcome would be if they did an actual analysis of traffic levels, the same way they do when designing a road intersection.

Sadly when they do put in traffic counters on the trails to do exactly this, some people will kill the analysis by blocking the counters ...

RE: Trails - ijmorlan - 09-10-2017

(09-10-2017, 11:59 AM)tomh009 Wrote:
(09-10-2017, 09:26 AM)ijmorlan Wrote: It would be interesting to know what the outcome would be if they did an actual analysis of traffic levels, the same way they do when designing a road intersection.

Sadly when they do put in traffic counters on the trails to do exactly this, some people will kill the analysis by blocking the counters ...

Sad

I wonder what the motivation was? I got the impression it was targeted, not just random vandalism. But do the people responsible understand that the counter just counts? I mean, I don’t believe it’s a camera, right? Do the people doing it think they’re striking a blow for the populace against The (surveillance) Man? Ironically, if they just mounted some surveillance cameras up on hydro poles they probably wouldn’t get vandalized, if only because they would be difficult to reach.

RE: Trails - Canard - 09-11-2017

Whaaaaat! When did this happen? What is wrong with people?! This is the first I've heard of this.

RE: Trails - danbrotherston - 09-11-2017

It is definitely targeted. In some cases a graffiti message is left. And it is fear of being tracked. Which again is stupid. I wonder if education would help or if it isn't worth it and the sensors should just be hardened.

RE: Trails - GtwoK - 09-12-2017

Does this count as trails?

Was driving along Water St in Cambridge today, and along the riverfront near Concession a ton of dirt had been dug up. Sitting on top of the wall there was the new iron pedestrian bridge intended to span the river! I didn't remember seeing a timing for this, great that it's getting done so soon.

It was also a new design (or at least, not the originally proposed design). Looked more similar to the construction of the rail bridge up the river - no longer had that awful looking portal-like thing in the middle.

RE: Trails - Canard - 09-12-2017

Wow, I totally missed that, I think I would have biked right close by that yesterday! I'll have to check it out today. Thanks for the heads-up!

So is this that super-fancy one with the "portal" and wave pattern on the side, that got removed due to cost or whatever?