Waterloo Region Connected
Trails - Printable Version

+- Waterloo Region Connected (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com)
+-- Forum: Waterloo Region Works (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Forum: Transportation and Infrastructure (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+--- Thread: Trails (/showthread.php?tid=378)

RE: Trails - Elmira Guy - 02-05-2017

/\ That just gave me a mental image followed by a shiver up my spine. Smile

RE: Trails - Canard - 02-12-2017

While I really do appreciate just how clear our paved trails are in Waterloo Region, this is a bit much:

(Laurel Trail, at Columbia)

RE: Trails - Andy - 02-12-2017

Jamincan, your endorsement made me think of this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98mBl9d0dew . I'm sure the wooded trails have less ice though.

RE: Trails - jamincan - 02-12-2017

As long as you can get back up and no one saw, no big deal, right?! Big Grin

Trails were actually terrible on Friday, at least the trail I tried to run on. I'd just point out that snow isn't always a reason not to run outdoors. It is often a perfectly good surface to run on. Problems are when it gets icy, or when it gets hard and uneven.

RE: Trails - danbrotherston - 02-12-2017

(02-12-2017, 05:21 PM)jamincan Wrote: As long as you can get back up and no one saw, no big deal, right?! Big Grin

Trails were actually terrible on Friday, at least the trail I tried to run on. I'd just point out that snow isn't always a reason not to run outdoors. It is often a perfectly good surface to run on. Problems are when it gets icy, or when it gets hard and uneven.

I worry because the snow can hide the ice.

RE: Trails - Pheidippides - 02-15-2017

I knew the day would come, but I was still surprised at you deeply upset I was watching, hearing, smelling them chop all the trees down along the now closed stretch of the IHT between park and Caroline. To add to the insult the tree remove wood chipping truck is blocking the sidewalk "detour"valuing park.

Couple that the two other separate sidewalk blocking vehicles, nearly being hit by red light running vehicle, being forced off a completly impassable IHT because of the hydro trucks, inumerable icy sidewalks, and being honked at for being too cautious for crossing a road and you have an active commute from hell.

RE: Trails - danbrotherston - 02-15-2017

(02-15-2017, 11:57 AM)Pheidippides Wrote: I knew the day would come, but I was still surprised at you deeply upset I was watching, hearing, smelling them chop all the trees down along the now closed stretch of the IHT between park and Caroline. To add to the insult the tree remove wood chipping truck is blocking the sidewalk "detour"valuing park.

Couple that the two other separate sidewalk blocking vehicles, nearly being hit by red light running vehicle, being forced off a completly impassable IHT because of the hydro trucks, inumerable icy sidewalks, and being honked at for being too cautious for crossing a road and you have an active commute from hell.

The really disappointing aspect of this is that the construction trailer has been placed in the new right of way, which means that the IHT will be closed for basically the entire duration of the construction, or in other words for years and years.

RE: Trails - timc - 02-15-2017

(02-15-2017, 12:55 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: The really disappointing aspect of this is that the construction trailer has been placed in the new right of way, which means that the IHT will be closed for basically the entire duration of the construction, or in other words for years and years.

Angry

RE: Trails - tomh009 - 02-15-2017

(02-15-2017, 12:55 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: The really disappointing aspect of this is that the construction trailer has been placed in the new right of way, which means that the IHT will be closed for basically the entire duration of the construction, or in other words for years and years.

That could certainly be moved.  But you will surely need to escalate that to city.

RE: Trails - Canard - 02-15-2017

I bike through here often, and I'm really not finding this closure that big of a deal. You just go down Park, up Allen and go left on Caroline. It's not like it's closed mid-block by Victoria Park or something with no way around!

RE: Trails - ijmorlan - 02-15-2017

(02-15-2017, 02:40 PM)tomh009 Wrote:

That could certainly be moved.  But you will surely need to escalate that to city.

Again, double standard. The new route should have been paved and opened before the old route was permitted to be closed. Something like this would never have happened with a motor vehicle route.

RE: Trails - tomh009 - 02-15-2017

(02-15-2017, 03:01 PM)ijmorlan Wrote: Again, double standard. The new route should have been paved and opened before the old route was permitted to be closed. Something like this would never have happened with a motor vehicle route.

It happens with roads, too.  Maybe not as often, but it does happen.

My suggestion is to call the city and get some action rather than just complaining here about how terrible the treatment of cyclists and pedestrians is.

(02-15-2017, 03:01 PM)ijmorlan Wrote: Something like this would never have happened with a motor vehicle route.

Apparently we have forgotten about 2 years of LRT construction already. Smile

RE: Trails - Viewfromthe42 - 02-15-2017

Comparison might be Weber St. grade separation, where for much of the work, there was a workaround route built by purchasing and demolishing an entire strip mall, just to ease the traffic pain.

Sure, that's a good (and very rare) example. What about the King St. Grade Separation?