Waterloo Region Connected
Trails - Printable Version

+- Waterloo Region Connected (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com)
+-- Forum: Waterloo Region Works (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Forum: Transportation and Infrastructure (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+--- Thread: Trails (/showthread.php?tid=378)

RE: Trails - Rainrider22 - 10-25-2018

(10-24-2018, 12:50 PM)danbrotherston Wrote:
(10-24-2018, 12:00 PM)Rainrider22 Wrote: You ask me why I say this ? Because my experience is dead lines are often met...  You ask me why, I tell you why ..

What size is the enterprise you deal with?

Even the cities are a hundred million dollar a year enterprise, higher levels of government are some of the biggest organizations in the country. Scale is what breeds these problems, not public vs. private.  I have worked for several large private enterprises, and I routinely see similar problems.

This is why I take "small government" to mean, local government.

Currently, Regional,  1.5 million people,  3000 employees.  That is all I will say here..

Previously private sector.  I am not saying that I have never experienced set backs or missed timelines. I see what I believe to be a lot of missed dead lines in our area for which no one ever seems (appears to my knowledge) be held accountable.

RE: Trails - Canard - 10-30-2018

RE: Trails - KevinL - 10-30-2018

Do they mechanically retract, or are they manually removed to open up the path?

RE: Trails - clasher - 10-30-2018

The trail that goes from Westmount road up to Mount Trashmore is paved... the portion specifically between Westmount rd. and Laurentian dr. The "no winter maintenance" sign was still up but at least it'll be easier for people to use now.

I hope there's clear signage on Philip indicating where it leads.

RE: Trails - danbrotherston - 10-30-2018

(10-30-2018, 05:20 PM)Canard Wrote:

This is good news, I wonder if this will be done at all entrances to the park.

There were reports of someone in a black pickup driving through the park at night...the theory was they were stealing lime scooters, but that is unsubstantiated.

I’ve seen city trucks driving along the new promenade at night.

(10-30-2018, 07:37 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: There were reports of someone in a black pickup driving through the park at night...the theory was they were stealing lime scooters, but that is unsubstantiated.

The scooters do get recharged by private operators, they may have simply been collecting them for that.

Not in Waterloo region for the pilot - they are all controlled, collected & distributed by Lime. A Lime van (which is stored/parked opposite the OMSF, off Parkside) picks them up each night.

Ironically, the same person who mentioned the black pickup (decidedly not a city owned vehicle), also met the Lime person (that's this person also knew it wasn't lime).

It was the Lime person who mentioned the thefts. Although the Lime person also apparently told this person that the city had paid 300 dollars for each scooter, which as far as I know is entirely untrue, Lime paid for the scooters.

Regardless, I support these (apparently reasonably well designed) bollards in the park. There are entirely too many cars in the park. Sometimes people are just confused, other time lazy and driving to the sports fields, this should reduce it, without the need to spend infinite amounts of money on bylaw enforcement. Whoda thunk it!

I just fail to understand why they went to the effort of installing P-gates if they knew they were going to install retractable bollards. Maybe they didn't, and it was a future thought.

This is a good question, and one I wouldn't mind an answer to.

For all we know, it was a contractor error being corrected at no cost to the city, as is currently happening with the lighting on the IHT.

RE: Trails - Pheidippides - 10-31-2018

I am extremely disappointed that the ponding issues on the IHT have not been resolved with its reconstruction. It would have been so easy to put a slight slope or bevel on the trail along with the occasional small culvert under some of the wetter spots, like near Cherry. Perhaps the city could still get it fixed under warranty (like the unplanted $1000 tree that is rotting near Cherry).

RE: Trails - danbrotherston - 10-31-2018

(10-31-2018, 09:35 AM)Pheidippides Wrote: I am extremely disappointed that the ponding issues on the IHT have not been resolved with its reconstruction. It would have been so easy to put a slight slope or bevel on the trail along with the occasional small culvert under some of the wetter spots, like near Cherry. Perhaps the city could still get it fixed under warranty (like the unplanted $1000 tree that is rotting near Cherry).

You've got to be kidding Sad.

Can you send me a photo?  I'd like to pass it onto the planner at the city, or you can do so directly as well.

Thanks,
-Daniel