Waterloo Region Connected
General Road and Highway Discussion - Printable Version

+- Waterloo Region Connected (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com)
+-- Forum: Waterloo Region Works (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Forum: Transportation and Infrastructure (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+--- Thread: General Road and Highway Discussion (/showthread.php?tid=335)

RE: General Road and Highway Discussion - JCnb - 05-27-2015

Southbound 85 does have good and bad days at peak time in the evening. Today for example it was backed up from Lancaster all the way up to Northfeild, about a 20 minute drive. The problem seems to mainly be the volume entering at University where it then speeds up a little to get slowed at the most dangerous merge IMO at Lancaster. I don't see a reason the exit to Lancaster from 85 south can't be removed with the alternate route being Lancaster via Bridgeport. I could also see the on ramp from Lancaster to 85 North coming out and alowing 3 northbound lanes to continue to Bridgeport and have the one lane peel off there. Thoughts? 

RE: General Road and Highway Discussion - timio - 06-20-2015

The southern lanes on Highland are almost ready to be paved. Curbs are in and it looks like the ground was rolled recently.

RE: General Road and Highway Discussion - Canard - 06-20-2015

As much as I like the Lancaster exit (especially when heading from Laurier, where I take Bridgeport almost the whole way, then pop up the on-ramp and then stay in that lane to exit at Lancaster)... I have to agree, it could/should be removed and traffic could take the Bridgeport exit. As soon as you exit off the highway on the current ramp into Lancaster, you have to get 2 lanes to the left right away - and I've seen so many near misses here I can't tell you. There's a huge speed disparity too, since traffic on Lancaster is generally going 50-60 km/h, and people coming off the highway tend to still have "highway speed brain" mode on, so they're going 80-90 mm/h, trying to shoot across 2 lanes which also may or may not have cyclists there trying to go straight through. Then the light goes red and some dickhead tries to stay in the right lane to cut in as soon as it goes green.

RE: General Road and Highway Discussion - tomh009 - 06-20-2015

(06-20-2015, 03:38 PM)Canard Wrote: As much as I like the Lancaster exit (especially when heading from Laurier, where I take Bridgeport almost the whole way, then pop up the on-ramp and then stay in that lane to exit at Lancaster)... I have to agree, it could/should be removed and traffic could take the Bridgeport exit. As soon as you exit off the highway on the current ramp into Lancaster, you have to get 2 lanes to the left right away - and I've seen so many near misses here I can't tell you. There's a huge speed disparity too, since traffic on Lancaster is generally going 50-60 km/h, and people coming off the highway tend to still have "highway speed brain" mode on, so they're going 80-90 mm/h, trying to shoot across 2 lanes which also may or may not have cyclists there trying to go straight through. Then the light goes red and some dickhead tries to stay in the right lane to cut in as soon as it goes green.

The bad thing about removing this exit is that it's really the best exit for downtown Kitchener from southbound 85.  Neither Wellington or Victoria are as convenient, and Bridgeport would be worse.  Rather than removing it, they might consider reworking it.

I have been taking this exit near-daily for about the last five years, driving between 7:30 and 9 AM.  Yes, there is sometimes a bit of confusion if the left lane is backed up (the right lane allows going straight as well) but I have yet to see any kind of an incident there.  People usually merge around 60-70 km/h (I look at my speedometer often ...) Very few cyclists at peak hours, maybe at other times?

What they should do, though, is add a lane designation, either make the right lane right-turn only, or make the left lane left-turn only.  The second option would actually work the best for the traffic entering from 85, making the merge much easier.

The right lane isn't really for going straight... it ends 40 metres after the stoplight (ie, immediately), so the only reason anyone should be there is if they're a jerk if they're not turning right onto Union. I hate when I'm in that queue in the left lane, right lane is empty and I see in my passenger side mirror someone come racing up in the right lane excepting to queue-jump...

Absolutely agree that eliminating one of the lanes as straight-through is the way to go here (likely your 2nd option).

RE: General Road and Highway Discussion - jamincan - 06-20-2015

How much time do people actually save by exiting at Lancaster over Wellington? Eliminating the exit at Lancaster would remove a significant safety issue with the weaving and should improve flow south through that area. Wellington to Lancaster is really not that much further and the Wellington interchange is significantly under-used as it is. Closure would also improve movement north (albeit only slightly).

This would also provide bike route across the expressway that does not have to deal with high speed merging traffic, a major problem in this city.

Wellington is such a weird road. I never use it, but probably should... it's like it wants to be a highway, but then is like "Oh nope I changed my mind sorry".

(06-20-2015, 06:32 PM)Canard Wrote: The right lane isn't really for going straight... it ends 40 metres after the stoplight (ie, immediately), so the only reason anyone should be there is if they're a jerk if they're not turning right onto Union.  I hate when I'm in that queue in the left lane, right lane is empty and I see in my passenger side mirror someone come racing up in the right lane excepting to queue-jump...

Absolutely agree that eliminating one of the lanes as straight-through is the way to go here (likely your 2nd option).

It really shouldn't be used for going straight, no -- unless someone is turning left in the left lane.  Marking one of the lanes would make this work better.

Me, I'm looking forward to moving downtown and skipping the morning drive altogether. Smile

(06-20-2015, 07:12 PM)jamincan Wrote: How much time do people actually save by exiting at Lancaster over Wellington? Eliminating the exit at Lancaster would remove a significant safety issue with the weaving and should improve flow south through that area. Wellington to Lancaster is really not that much further and the Wellington interchange is significantly under-used as it is. Closure would also improve movement north (albeit only slightly).

The additional challenge with exiting at Wellington (apart from the extra distance) is the left turn at Lancaster.  It would make the Lancaster-Wellington intersection busier, not sure how well that would work.

But maybe the bigger question with the Wellington exit is how will it look once the new Highway 7 is finally built.  If I understand correctly, it'll start at the Wellington exit and head east from there.  Or am I mistaken?

That's how I understand it will be, too - the whole Wellington interchange will totally be rebuilt, into Ontario's first and only 5-stack interchange (which, personally, I can't wait to see!!).

RE: General Road and Highway Discussion - jamincan - 06-20-2015

My understanding is that the original plan was that Wellington was supposed to connect to a Highway 7 bypass, but the new plan will see the bypass remain separate and Wellington connect to a straightened Shirley Ave.

RE: General Road and Highway Discussion - tomh009 - 06-21-2015

I thought the straightened Shirley avenue would in turn connect to the new Highway 7, but I may be wrong ...

RE: General Road and Highway Discussion - Markster - 06-21-2015

(06-21-2015, 11:01 AM)tomh009 Wrote: I thought the straightened Shirley avenue would in turn connect to the new Highway 7, but I may be wrong ...
I've just added a nice big overview of the interchange area to the Highway 7 thread.

Maybe I can link the picture here?
[attachment=242]
Nope.
Anyway, Shirley/Wellington have various onramps to the highways that are quite functional. In terms of off-ramps, the only slightly awkward connection is 85 North to Shirley, where you have to turn left on to Bruce first, and take that to Shirley.

RE: General Road and Highway Discussion - jamincan - 06-21-2015

Does anyone know when the Laurelwood extension is going to open? It seems the only thing left to do is remove the barriers - did they just forget?

RE: General Road and Highway Discussion - KevinL - 06-27-2015

How did this become a problem after only twelve years?

Franklin Street bridge to close until September for repairs