Waterloo Region Connected
General Road and Highway Discussion - Printable Version

+- Waterloo Region Connected (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com)
+-- Forum: Waterloo Region Works (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Forum: Transportation and Infrastructure (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+--- Thread: General Road and Highway Discussion (/showthread.php?tid=335)

RE: General Road and Highway Discussion - DHLawrence - 05-03-2017

Curious that the Record is sharing it like it's brand new.

RE: General Road and Highway Discussion - JCnb - 05-04-2017

Does anyone know the reason for the Speedsville Road shut down?

RE: General Road and Highway Discussion - The85 - 05-04-2017

(05-04-2017, 02:32 PM)JCnb Wrote: Does anyone know the reason for the Speedsville Road shut down?

See top of the page in this thread for my theory.

RE: General Road and Highway Discussion - gomesjustin - 05-05-2017

(05-04-2017, 03:49 PM)The85 Wrote:
(05-04-2017, 02:32 PM)JCnb Wrote: Does anyone know the reason for the Speedsville Road shut down?

See top of the page in this thread for my theory.

And your theory was confirmed in this Record Article: Preston road projects show better co-ordination is needed: mayor

"The Speedsville closure was done on April 24 in order to allow for the future servicing of industrial lands in the northern part of Cambridge, as well as for a sanitary pumping station to be included in a subdivision approved for the former Hunt Club lands." 

Great job The85! Smile

RE: General Road and Highway Discussion - DHLawrence - 05-05-2017

Understatement of the year from Mayor Craig. And all this is on top of the 401 construction - the other way for people in Preston to get around.

"...a meeting will be arranged between regional and city officials to better establish lines of communication." Fat lot of good that does us now. They can't cover the holes up and come back later.

RE: General Road and Highway Discussion - urbd - 05-07-2017

Does anyone know anything about this? stoplights were just installed on Bridgeport as if it was going to be turned into two-way (at Regina), maybe it is related to the King streetscape reconstruction detours? sorry if this has been mentioned somewhere else

any clue?

[Image: dsCTRbR.jpg]

RE: General Road and Highway Discussion - Canard - 05-07-2017

Holy crap, great spotting!

That's about all it could be, eh? They really liked how Kimberly's idea turned out on Bridgeport, I guess Smile

RE: General Road and Highway Discussion - timio - 05-07-2017

Correct.

RE: General Road and Highway Discussion - Markster - 05-07-2017

(05-07-2017, 11:42 AM)urbd Wrote: Does anyone know anything about this? stoplights were just installed on Bridgeport as if it was going to be turned into two-way (at Regina), maybe it is related to the King streetscape reconstruction detours?

Correct on both points.
Phase 1 of Uptown reconstruction is also rebuilding Erb St. As a result, Bridgeport/Caroline will become 2-way from Erb/Caroline to Regina St. Several of these "wrong way" traffic lights have been installed in anticipation of this.

RE: General Road and Highway Discussion - danbrotherston - 05-07-2017

That's a huge investment just for a temporary construction detour.

(05-07-2017, 02:10 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: That's a huge investment just for a temporary construction detour.

It's an investment, but I doubt they're going to just throw the lights in the garbage when they're done.

It's either this, or there is no eastbound traffic through Uptown for 9 months.

RE: General Road and Highway Discussion - danbrotherston - 05-07-2017

@markster. Not the only alternative. Temp stop signs, construction barricades, and paint would also work I argue.

As for cost. I doubt the actual traffic signal is the expensive part of doing t his.

Then what is the "huge investment"?

RE: General Road and Highway Discussion - Canard - 05-07-2017

(05-07-2017, 02:44 PM)Markster Wrote: It's an investment, but I doubt they're going to just throw the lights in the garbage when they're done.

lol

(I agree and know what you're getting at - just was reminded of this and thought it was funny)

RE: General Road and Highway Discussion - urbd - 05-07-2017

(05-07-2017, 01:24 PM)Markster Wrote:
(05-07-2017, 11:42 AM)urbd Wrote: Does anyone know anything about this? stoplights were just installed on Bridgeport as if it was going to be turned into two-way (at Regina), maybe it is related to the King streetscape reconstruction detours?

Correct on both points.
Phase 1 of Uptown reconstruction is also rebuilding Erb St.  As a result, Bridgeport/Caroline will become 2-way from Erb/Caroline to Regina St.  Several of these "wrong way" traffic lights have been installed in anticipation of this.

I've been interested in rallying or getting organized to propose the conversion of Caroline/Bridgeport and Erb into two-way streets as they used to be... this seems to be the perfect time to gain momentum! would anyone be interested in this? I've talked to a few people from different groups and there seems to be interest in this idea. Another key project is the Bridgeport/Caroline reconstruction slated for 2018-2019.