Waterloo Region Connected
General Road and Highway Discussion - Printable Version

+- Waterloo Region Connected (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com)
+-- Forum: Waterloo Region Works (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Forum: Transportation and Infrastructure (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+--- Thread: General Road and Highway Discussion (/showthread.php?tid=335)

RE: General Road and Highway Discussion - embe - 03-10-2017

Closed for 7 months to build a retaining wall and some sewer work?  Seems a bit excessive to shut down an entire off-ramp for that period of time, when the next closest one is Ottawa st.  maybe some day they'll close a ramp that doesn't mess around with my daily travels and I won't care as much. Rolleyes

RE: General Road and Highway Discussion - GtwoK - 03-10-2017

The next closest one would be the Wellington St one just before it, which isn't all that bad of a detour. And before that, the Lancaster one will take you staright downtown as well. The issue I guess is more for those looking to go East of 85, cause they'd have to go all the way along Bingemans Centre.

RE: General Road and Highway Discussion - Pheidippides - 03-15-2017

Any guesses what the announcement is?

https://www.canada.ca/en/office-infrastructure/news/2017/03/media_advisory_-kitchenerontario.html

Media Advisory - Kitchener, Ontario

Media Advisory

From Infrastructure Canada

Kitchener, Ontario, March 15, 2017 – Members of the media are invited to attend an important infrastructure announcement with the Honourable Bardish Chagger, Minister of Small Business and Tourism and Member of Parliament for Waterloo, on behalf of the Honourable Amarjeet Sohi, Minister of Infrastructure and Communities; Daiene Vernile, Parliamentary Assistant to the Ontario Minister of Transportation and Member of Provincial Parliament for Kitchener Centre, on behalf of the Honourable Steven Del Duca, Ontario Minister of Transportation; and Tom Galloway, Regional Councillor and Chair, Planning and Works Committee.

Date:         Thursday, March 16, 2017

Time:         10:00 a.m.

150 Frederick Street
                     Kitchener, Ontario

For more information, please contact:

Brook Simpson
Press Secretary
Office of the Minister of Infrastructure and Communities
613-219-0149
Brook.Simpson@Canada.ca

Andrea Ernesaks
Minister’s Office
Ontario Ministry of Transportation
Andrea.Ernesaks@ontario.ca

Bryan Stortz,
Director of Corporate Communications
Region of Waterloo
519-575-4408
Bstortz@regionofwaterloo.ca

Infrastructure Canada
613-960-9251
Toll free: 1-877-250-7154
infc.media-medias.infc@canada.ca
Follow us on Twitter at @INFC_eng

RE: General Road and Highway Discussion - Coke6pk - 03-15-2017

(03-15-2017, 12:12 PM)Pheidippides Wrote: Any guesses what the announcement is?

https://www.canada.ca/en/office-infrastructure/news/2017/03/media_advisory_-kitchenerontario.html

Media Advisory - Kitchener, Ontario

Media Advisory

From Infrastructure Canada

Kitchener, Ontario, March 15, 2017 – Members of the media are invited to attend an important infrastructure announcement with the Honourable Bardish Chagger, Minister of Small Business and Tourism and Member of Parliament for Waterloo, on behalf of the Honourable Amarjeet Sohi, Minister of Infrastructure and Communities; Daiene Vernile, Parliamentary Assistant to the Ontario Minister of Transportation and Member of Provincial Parliament for Kitchener Centre, on behalf of the Honourable Steven Del Duca, Ontario Minister of Transportation; and Tom Galloway, Regional Councillor and Chair, Planning and Works Committee.

Date:         Thursday, March 16, 2017

Time:         10:00 a.m.

150 Frederick Street
                     Kitchener, Ontario

For more information, please contact:

Brook Simpson
Press Secretary
Office of the Minister of Infrastructure and Communities
613-219-0149
Brook.Simpson@Canada.ca

Andrea Ernesaks
Minister’s Office
Ontario Ministry of Transportation
Andrea.Ernesaks@ontario.ca

Bryan Stortz,
Director of Corporate Communications
Region of Waterloo
519-575-4408
Bstortz@regionofwaterloo.ca

Infrastructure Canada
613-960-9251
Toll free: 1-877-250-7154
infc.media-medias.infc@canada.ca
Follow us on Twitter at @INFC_eng

Full funding for iON phase 2?

Coke

RE: General Road and Highway Discussion - Pheidippides - 03-15-2017

I doubt they would do that in Kitchener, without the Mayor of Cambridge or the Regional chair, and a local MP and MPP standing in for the actual ministers. Likely something much smaller and/or previously announced.

RE: General Road and Highway Discussion - Canard - 03-15-2017

There was a similar announcement in North Bay a few days ago; could be something similar:

https://www.canada.ca/en/office-infrastructure/news/2017/03/backgrounder_governmentsofcanadaandontarioinvestinpublictransiti.html

RE: General Road and Highway Discussion - KevinL - 03-15-2017

So, could be for things like the new UWaterloo and Fairway terminals, maybe some kind of Block Line terminal, bus fleet boost, shelters/pads for the 205...

RE: General Road and Highway Discussion - Rainrider22 - 03-15-2017

Or stay tuned to hear.

RE: General Road and Highway Discussion - Coke6pk - 03-15-2017

(03-15-2017, 03:08 PM)Rainrider22 Wrote: Or stay tuned to hear.

Where is the fun in that.  I'm now changing my guess to be the downtown Kitchener super tower that Insider was hinting too years ago.... Wink

Coke

RE: General Road and Highway Discussion - Square - 03-15-2017

(03-15-2017, 04:23 PM)Coke6pk Wrote:

Where is the fun in that.  I'm now changing my guess to be the downtown Kitchener super tower that Insider was hinting too years ago.... Wink

Coke

My guess is building Hyperloop all across Canada, starting here in Kitchener, lol

RE: General Road and Highway Discussion - Rainrider22 - 03-15-2017

(03-15-2017, 04:23 PM)Coke6pk Wrote:

Coke

I am throwing caution to the wind and going with that too !!!

RE: General Road and Highway Discussion - timio - 03-15-2017

Monorail along Victoria with spurs up Lancaster to Bridgeport and down Fischer Hallman to Roseville.

RE: General Road and Highway Discussion - timc - 03-16-2017

Here's the details.

Quote:The list of projects includes the acquisition of 18 new conventional buses for the Grand River Transit fleet, which will expand the current transit system and provide improved services to riders. The installation of voice radio equipment and the replacement of onboard cameras on transit vehicles will improve accessibility and modernize the fleet. Also, improvements to active transportation infrastructure at several Grand River Transit locations, such as lighting and walkways, will increase safety and make these locations more accessible for public transit users.

RE: General Road and Highway Discussion - timio - 03-16-2017

I was looking over the proposed design for Highland Road West from Fischer Hallman to Ira Needles and noticed that they are considering roundabouts for the intersections with Westheights.

It's a bit unclear from the material online what the tipping point would be to install them.

RE: General Road and Highway Discussion - tomh009 - 03-16-2017

(03-16-2017, 10:34 AM)timc Wrote: Here's the details.

Quote:The list of projects includes the acquisition of 18 new conventional buses for the Grand River Transit fleet, which will expand the current transit system and provide improved services to riders. The installation of voice radio equipment and the replacement of onboard cameras on transit vehicles will improve accessibility and modernize the fleet. Also, improvements to active transportation infrastructure at several Grand River Transit locations, such as lighting and walkways, will increase safety and make these locations more accessible for public transit users.

The buses were on their way already -- this just means GRT gets funding for them?